I did it! My 5k report!

calena

<font color=red>BL II - Red Team<br> <font color=g
Well, I did my 5k yesterday. :cool1: I finished in 40 minutes, which was WAY back from the runners in the group, but it was a great way to start and it was a great achievement for me. :sunny: It also gives me a great boost to work on my next 5k!
It was a very low structure run/walk/stroll for the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada. You could walk/run 2k, 5k or 10k. I aimed to run/walk 5k and I did it. I wanted to do this run to raise funds for the Brain Tumour Foundation because my sister, Kathryn died of a brain tumour. She was 43 when she was diagnosed and died less than 5 years later. She had a tumour called glioblastoma, which is a real killer. Her original diagnosis was 9-18 months. What sparked my interest in doing this was a news report this winter about a "breakthrough" in brain tumour research. It turns out doctors now give people an extra three months to live if they do chemo and radiation at the same time instead of either/or or one after the other. That really upset me because three months is LOUSY. Even five years is lousy for a young mom to die. There has to be a cure for this terrible plague. Unfortunately, for people like Kathryn who were diagnosed with glioblastoma, there is little hope. I want that to change, so I signed up to raise funds for the Brain Tumour Foundation which provides funding for research and support for those diagnosed. So... this was an emotional undertaking.
I also want to get healthy and having the goal of running a 5k was great. These boards and the exercise challenge have been so encouraging as I trained for this. I upped my exercise from walking 30 minutes to walk/running for 40 minutes four or five times a week. I plan on continuing to improve this! :flower:
The weather in Ottawa was great for the event. A little cloudy, not too hot - 21C (about 69 F) and it was a nice setting in a park with the course by the canal, so lots of ducks to look at and pretty scenery. They asked the runners to go first and the walkers would start later. I figured I might as well go with the runners, since I wanted to run/jog 10 minutes and walk 2 for the race. So... we took off. I kept up with the pack, even going up a slight incline at the beginning until the 1k mark and then I started to slow down... but I kept going. When I stopped for my walk after going 12 minutes jog (longer than usual!) they kept going! That was ok though. I ended up running/walking on my own in my own pace and that was good. I took along my MP3, which I usually don't when I am training and listened to some songs I like. I especially like the James Taylor Fire and Rain because it makes me think of the loss I felt when Kathryn died and sometimes you want someone to talk to and she is gone. I still miss her very much. So, yes, there were tears on the run and that was the nice part about being on my own. It also made me feel good to know I was doing something healthy for me and to help others with brain tumours. Kathryn would have liked both those reasons.
So... I ran to the finish line. Crossed it on my own. I was tired, but I could have kept going which made me feel good. Received my water and orange (didn't take the hot dog) and then DH took us all out to supper. My DD, 10, painted a picture for me as a prize for finishing. It shows me running and the sun is shining and there is a finish sign. It is priceless.
Thanks for the encouragement from the runners in this group. I know 40 minutes for a 5k is just a beginning and I will do better but this is so major for me. When I was reaching the 2.5 k turnaround the runners were coming back. The first two guys (both very fit looking) :goodvibes said "keep going. Good for you." That was a real encouragement! Then as I passed the walkers when I was running back many made nice comments and I tried to huff something back too. It was a great experience.
I did learn I need to train more... when I saw the runners going on as I slowed down, I thought... next time that will be me!!!! I will keep going. So... next race will be the Terry Fox Run in September... proceeds for cancer research. I would love to run the whole thing and improve my time. :flower:

Excellent news on the 40 minutes and the best of wishes for even better time for your race in September :)

I normally don't post on this section of the Disboards but I know how good it is to finish those 5Ks, I didn't think I would on mine this weekend because I was overheating (time for shorter sleeves).

Go Calena Go!!!!

Way to go!!!! I am just starting to run.... how far is 5k in miles? Not a fan of metric... I run on a treadmill and can do a mile in about 12:30 right now. I made an attempt at running last year and go it to 10:30, but life got in the way and I just didn't find time for me....

Keep up the hard work and next time you will keep on running. You are so brave for signing up for a real run.....I am too chicken...

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Way to go, Calena !!! That is an awesome accomplishment! I had a few tears as I was reading your post. Your sister was with you all the way, and I'm sure she was very proud as she smiled down on you. :goodvibes

I powerwalked the Terry Fox last year as part of training for Disney. I'm looking forward to doing a run/walk thing this year for it. After you've done Terry Fox in Sept, you can start training for the Ottawa Half-Marathon next May! Or maybe you're doing Disney 1/2 in January ???

lyeag ... 5K is 3 miles ... keep up the great work!

MaryLiz

Thanks for all the encouragement.
lyeag - A 5k is 3.1 miles, so I guess I do a mile in 13.20 minutes or so. This means you are faster than I am and you would have been one of the ones leaving me behind! Go for it.
maryliz - I just realized the Terry Fox is 10k! Our community (outside Ottawa) does not have one, so I can either go to a neighboring community or try to start one here. I say try to start one here and train for the 10k. I was hoping to run 5k for Terry Fox but September is a long way away- who knows what I am capable of. A half marathon is still a long way away :rolleyes: I told myself if I am able to keep up with my running we will look into a treadmill for Christmas because I can't see running on the ice and snow! If I could keep training then the Ottawa half marathon would be great for next year.
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. So many of you are an inspiration to me as I see you do things and improve your lives. I am still on a total high that I did it.

Congratulations!
I am proud of you! You did your first one faster than I have done mine! It is definitely an addictive thing and quite a healthy choice. Keep on keepin' on.

Congratulations, Calena :cheer2:

You did fantastic. I'm sure there are many, many more races in your future :)

I'm doing a 5K "Fun Run" tomorrow (organized by my gym). I can't wait :Pinkbounc

Sunny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter