I can't stand the thought of being in Orlando and not going to WDW

lisagirl88

Mouseketeer
Hope this is the right spot for this post. We are going to be in Orlando for vacation for 4 full days and 1 1/2 day the beginning of March. It will be me, DH and our two older kids(ages 10 and 8). Our kids have never been to any of the parks in the Orlando area except WDW. So we were thinking of making this a non-WDW trip and hitting SW, Discovery Cove, Legoland and possibly Aquatica. HOWEVER, I just can't imagine being that close to WDW and not going in!!!! I love Disney. We were in Disney for 5 days last march and also did a Disney Cruise.

I guess my question is: Will I totally regret at least not making room for 1 day at Disney? Has anyone gone to Orlando and not done Disney?

If your like us...yes.

We have a family wedding to attend at the beginning of March in Orlando. The thought of being in Orlando and NOT going to Disney, even for a day, was torture! So we added two days after the wedding to visit just MK and Epcot.

Yes, a few times and I've had wonderful vacations.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've never been the type that thought disney world is the only place on the planet where my kids can have "magical" vacations.

We've done sea world, discovery cove and then drove over to the space center. Loved every minute of it.

We did let our kids know that this was not a disney vacation and that we were only staying in orlando for a few days before driving to the beach for our second half of the vacation.

Loved it.

We've done that type of trip before. We stayed at Marriott World Center, and had three day tickets to US/IOA and tickets for Seaworld. We also did Typhoon Lagoon and visited DTD at night and spent time at the resort pool. We did not do any of the main Disney parks. It was a great vacation.

I am taking my son back in March for a short trip and we're not really planning on WDW at all. He just wants to do IOA/US and we might go out to Kennedy Space Center.

I'd have a hard time being in Orlando and not seeing Disney. Not that I can't have fun elsewhere, I travel all over the world. But being in close proximity to the parks and not seeing them is tough. They make me so happy just being there.
My best friend moved to Orlando a year ago and I'm visiting her again tomorrow. And again we're spending two days in the park. I know she's humoring me and I appreciate it immensely!

Hope this is the right spot for this post. We are going to be in Orlando for vacation for 4 full days and 1 1/2 day the beginning of March. It will be me, DH and our two older kids(ages 10 and 8). Our kids have never been to any of the parks in the Orlando area except WDW. So we were thinking of making this a non-WDW trip and hitting SW, Discovery Cove, Legoland and possibly Aquatica. HOWEVER, I just can't imagine being that close to WDW and not going in!!!! I love Disney. We were in Disney for 5 days last march and also did a Disney Cruise.

I guess my question is: Will I totally regret at least not making room for 1 day at Disney? Has anyone gone to Orlando and not done Disney?
~I think you can have a great "non Disney" vacation in Orlando. But, I would have to plan at least one day at MK and maybe add on a park hopper, too. Have fun! :goodvibes

You could always stop by DTD to get your Disney fix if you wanted. Wouldn't cost you anything either. ;)

Go over and ride the monorail, maybe get something to eat at one of the hotels....its a great "fix".

The past 2 years we have done a cruise out of Port Canaveral. We went a couple days early. I couldn't justify buying 1 or 2 day tickets just to get a Disney fix because those 1 day tickets are really expensive!! So we spent the time at DTD, went to the outlets, rode the monorail around and stopped at each monorail hotel and spent some time there looking around. We had appetizers at the Polynesian and dinner at the Contemporary. It really was enough to get that Disney fix and I didn't feel like we were missing out.

However, if I had some 10 day non-expiring tickets laying around, we probably would have used a day at EPCOT. But it wasn't worth buying a one day ticket just for the fix.

Maggie

Last April I went to visit my mom in FL about an hour and a half from Disney. I couldn't handle being in FL that close to WDW and not visiting... so I started planning a few days to visit. Well before our trip I found a great deal on a Sea World Hotel and ended up going to Sea World and the water park for 4 days instead. I really thought that I would really miss visiting WDW and we had planned to visit DTD. We had so much fun at Sea World that we never made it over to DTD. But now that I'm almost 2 years out from out last WDW trip I am glad that we will be returning to WDW this next vacation.

Although my adventure outside WDW proved to me that my family will have a magical time any where we choose to go. We will probably venture over to Universal at some point in the next few years. Probably on a trip that we drive down. We want to see the space center as well... just lots to do in the area.

I've been to Orlando several times without going to Disney. It's definitely tough if you love Disney the way I do, but those trips were still so much fun. I absolutely loved Discovery Cove (especially the swim with dolphins), Sea World, and Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure. In fact I'm dying to get back to Islands of Adventure because of the Harry Potter expansion. I've had a great time at each of these places and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Point is, as amazing a vacation as Disney is, it seems a shame not to see what else is out there. Worst case scenario your family prefers Disney and you head back there next time.

I think it would have to be either/or for me. I love the idea of an offsite trip as there is so much to do and see. Throwing one Disney day in a short trip would just feel weird to me and leave me wanting more. I would have to keep the two separate.

We are actually planning a mostly non disney trip in April. I am planning 1 day at MK instead of Seaworld. Is that a mistake?

Five years ago I was pained about going to Florida and not being able to go to Orlando.

We were in Orlando this past October just to see HHN at Universal and we only went to Universal. It felt odd but we had a great time.

We have done it several times pre cruise so I am not sure if that counts as the cruise gives us that Disney feel we look for. We always hit DTD.

The price for a one day visit is enough to deter me from wanting to do it.:scared:

I have been in Disney resorts without going to parks and would have no problem staying in Orlando without stepping foot on Disney property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter