I’m an idiot. Don’t be like me.

If you want to feel better about it, my renewal was lost in the mail. I did get my passport in about 4-5 weeks. USPS still showed the application still being lost.

Almost the same for us! Somehow our package got delivered to the completely wrong house despite having our correct address. Fortunately they were nice people and drove it over to us!

Our kids’ passports were scheduled to arrive. My husband had gotten the informed delivery notification for both. I went to the mail-only one. I decided to wait a day before worrying. I’m outside and the mailman pulls back up and sticks the second one in our box. No idea what happened, but I ended up pretty concerned about what could have happened!

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I am in Canada. Submitted applications for myself and DD in mid March, still have not received anything yet, and due to volume pressures, Passport Canada is not responding to requests for a status update. The closest passport office is 400km away, which means going there physically to put in an urgent request (new application) is not so easy. I am currently working with my local Parliament representative to look at options.
Will need passports for online check-in in approx 1.5wks. I applied in March, which back then was 3x the usual turnaround time, now I am told 10wks plus is minimum.
Lesson learned. Canadians - don't delay if passport renewals required. Allow at least 4mths!

Maybe it depends on where you live? Here there are no walk in locations to drop off and appointments are generally a month out. Then you have to wait and there is a backup due to a high volume of travel this year and this season. It was a challenge 6 years ago and in May of this year due to the amount of time involved. When you have kids under 16, there is the added fun of no renewal, passports only being good for 5 years, and both parents being required to appear in person.

The appointments are definitely a huge hassle here! My girls are under 16, so we're in the same boat with having to do in-person with both parents. Our county store had no appointments at all for next 60 days (which is how far they release). USPS in our town was 6 weeks out. Had to start searching other post office locations nearby to find something with a reasonable appointment time and settled for an appointment 3 weeks out.

We won't need them until November, but once you start to add together a 3 week delay to make the appointment, up to 12 weeks to get them with normal processing, etc, etc, the timeline suddenly gets really tight.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I am in Canada. Submitted applications for myself and DD in mid March, still have not received anything yet, and due to volume pressures, Passport Canada is not responding to requests for a status update. The closest passport office is 400km away, which means going there physically to put in an urgent request (new application) is not so easy. I am currently working with my local Parliament representative to look at options.
Will need passports for online check-in in approx 1.5wks. I applied in March, which back then was 3x the usual turnaround time, now I am told 10wks plus is minimum.
Lesson learned. Canadians - don't delay if passport renewals required. Allow at least 4mths!
Yikes -- that's brutal. I also applied by mail in early March, and had to have my daughter's application transferred to a passport office for express pick up in mid-May. It was ready the day before we left for our trip. We're lucky to live in the same city as a Passport Canada office and so it was just a whole lot of stress, but not a 800km roundtrip drive!

Good luck -- I hope your MP is able to get things hurried along for you!

The appointments are definitely a huge hassle here! My girls are under 16, so we're in the same boat with having to do in-person with both parents. Our county store had no appointments at all for next 60 days (which is how far they release). USPS in our town was 6 weeks out. Had to start searching other post office locations nearby to find something with a reasonable appointment time and settled for an appointment 3 weeks out.

We won't need them until November, but once you start to add together a 3 week delay to make the appointment, up to 12 weeks to get them with normal processing, etc, etc, the timeline suddenly gets really tight.
We drove about 60 minutes to a place that had an appointment 2 days later. Nowhere else had anything available to schedule and we are in a large, highly populated area with many locations.

Maybe it depends on where you live? Here there are no walk in locations to drop off and appointments are generally a month out. Then you have to wait and there is a backup due to a high volume of travel this year and this season. It was a challenge 6 years ago and in May of this year due to the amount of time involved. When you have kids under 16, there is the added fun of no renewal, passports only being good for 5 years, and both parents being required to appear in person.

Also in the US, they were severely backed up due to covid closures. Glad I got mine in 2019 but then they offered the REAL ID for free so I got that too.

I'm also in Canada, outside of Vancouver so have access to 3 passport offices. Submitted DD13 application in person to the Service Canada office in Langley the last week of March. I finally go through to someone on the phone this morning who told me everything has been processed and it's in line to hit the printers sometime in the next week. Assured me we have plenty of time before our travel date to get it in the mail (we sail from Vancouver on July 25th but put down our travel date as the Friday before, the 22nd). Apparently I'm going to get a call from a local office sometime in the new few days, not sure why as I didn't ask for the file to be transferred.....we will see what they say I guess. Because we are sailing round trip from Vancouver we only need her birth certifcate thank goodness but it *sounds* like we will get her passport before we leave....our online check in is next Friday night so guess I'm submitting her birth certificate for that and will change it to her passport if/when it comes before the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter