Hurricane....ugh

Fsudisney

Mouseketeer
So I am a Florida local so don't get too freaked out about hurricanes BUT we are supposed to be tent camping at the fort this weekend starting on Friday.
I'm not quite sure what to do- I hate to cancel in case things are fine but I also don't want the weekend to be a literal washout!
Does the fort have any policies or anything for tent campers during severe weather? Or does Disney extend cancellation deadlines in situations like this where severe weather is involved? If we were in a hotel I wouldn't be as worried, but the tent is worrying me. Has anyone dealt with severe weather at the Fort before?

I'm watching it closely. We're coming in Friday evening for the weekend but we have a hotel room this trip. I'm thinking that unless it tracks further west we will be okay except Friday night may be very wet. If you have an awning you can anchor down to cover the tent you should be fine. If noting else don't unload anything you don't have to have until Saturday.

I wouldn't cancel. NOAA has it north of Orlando by 2:00 pm on Friday, so while there may be some rain on Friday and Friday evening...I think it's gonna clear up by Saturday. We will be driving down on Friday and arriving on Saturday too. We are excited...rain or shine! Happy camping!

So I am a Florida local so don't get too freaked out about hurricanes BUT we are supposed to be tent camping at the fort this weekend starting on Friday.
I'm not quite sure what to do- I hate to cancel in case things are fine but I also don't want the weekend to be a literal washout!
Does the fort have any policies or anything for tent campers during severe weather? Or does Disney extend cancellation deadlines in situations like this where severe weather is involved? If we were in a hotel I wouldn't be as worried, but the tent is worrying me. Has anyone dealt with severe weather at the Fort before?

We were at FW during TS Faye, the winds never exceeded 35mph, so they didn't move us, but 'all' tenters disappeared. We were in our mh, and felt 'relatively' safe (but trees 'can' fall) and there were small branches and much water everywhere. Personally, I would never intentionally be there in a tent. Actually, we weren't happy about being there at all, but leaving would have put it following us - not a happy thought on the road!! They kept us updated with flyers.

A long time ago, when I was 12 or so (I'm 33 now) there was an impending hurricane to the area. They put flyers at our pop up everyday updating us on the storm, and even told us where we could park our camper to seek shelter on property.

We were at FW during TS Faye, the winds never exceeded 35mph, so they didn't move us, but 'all' tenters disappeared. We were in our mh, and felt 'relatively' safe (but trees 'can' fall) and there were small branches and much water everywhere. Personally, I would never intentionally be there in a tent. Actually, we weren't happy about being there at all, but leaving would have put it following us - not a happy thought on the road!! They kept us updated with flyers.

Thanks for the info! Do you think the tent campers left on their own or were moved to other accommodations by Disney? We will keep watching and may skip Friday if we have to and just eat the cost of the site.

Thanks for the info! Do you think the tent campers left on their own or were moved to other accommodations by Disney? We will keep watching and may skip Friday if we have to and just eat the cost of the site.

Disney was not giving alternative lodging as far as we know. We were told if the winds (sustained, I think) became greater than 35mph we would be moved. To my knowledge, people were leaving on their own (I would definitely not have stayed in a tent). Lots of trailers left also. To us, the greater danger seemed to be the thought of falling limbs/trees. Disney may have been giving them credit for unused nights (do not know).

As I said, 'if' we thought we could have safely left, we would have, but knew the roads were more dangerous at this point for our destination.

I couldn't imagine being in a tent during a Hurricane or even a Tropical Storm. As such I have never had to actually deal with it.

I would suggest a call to the FORT (not just the reservations number) and see what they have to say on the topic as far as cancellations due to weather or the moving to another location.

Here now, and a life guard just told me they are making the call tomorrow morning at 10am whether to evacuate the fort or not. He said it can't handle much more rain before flooding. After the rain today, we have water on three sides of the tent!

A voicemail was left in our cabin this evening to go to the front desk. They said depending on the reports tomorrow FW may be evacuated.

There is a LOT of sitting water around the loops. More than I've ever seen. And it's been that way since we arrived Sat. It won't take much more to flood this place out.

Don't take the weather lightly in a tent! My DD is taping windows (in Kissimmee) she's a CM. The hub has posted info regarding phase closings if needed. Be safe!

They usually move them to hotel rooms. I don't know what happens when/if they fill their rooms.

I just imagine our kids with rain, mud and a tent. YUCK! I hope it works out so you can make it! Fort Wilderness is so much fun! :)

I hope everyone stays safe regardless of evacuation and weather issues.

PLEASE PLEASE be safe. I will keep everyone there in my prayers and thoughts. I can't even imagine what it's like in a tent right now.

Looks as if voluntary evacuations from Fort Wilderness are currently underway according to sources on blog.touringplans.com.

Looks as if voluntary evacuations from Fort Wilderness are currently underway according to sources on blog.touringplans.com.

They are no longer voluntary but in fact mandatory, according to WDWNT.

Hey all, I need some immediate advice. We are at the Fort now and I just read the above post from touringplans. We were told at 1pm today that we had 24 hours to evacuate the Fort. We asked where we should go and they said away from Orlando. We have a 28ft IGo. Should we try to book a room at a resort and keep camper in the parking lot or head towards a Tampa campground for a couple days?

Hey all, I need some immediate advice. We are at the Fort now and I just read the above post from touringplans. We were told at 1pm today that we had 24 hours to evacuate the Fort. We asked where we should go and they said away from Orlando. We have a 28ft IGo. Should we try to book a room at a resort and keep camper in the parking lot or head towards a Tampa campground for a couple days?

According to WDWNT in more detail, Disney is putting FW people in hotels on property and the Campers/RVs are being put in the MK parking lot. Disney is providing transportation to their hotel. You might want to see about getting into an on-property hotel at Disney.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/10/updat...derness-disney-world-ordered-ahead-hurricane/

Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground will close at 2:00pm on Thursday as a precautionary measure ahead of Hurricane Matthew. Guests are now being ordered to leave the resort by then, rather than it being simply suggested.

All RVs are being accommodated in the Cruella Lot of the Magic Kingdom parking area.

Campground guests are being moved to alternate accommodations as previously reported. Disney is providing transportation for all guests to their alternate accommodations if need be.

The Touring Plans blog says Disney cruise guests might end up at the hotels too. Once rooms run out, they will start using cots in the ballrooms. A copy of the letter from yesterday with contact information about alternate lodging is on the blog.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2016/1...rld-not-accepting-reservations-week/#comments

Current weather predictions (I know, I know) show the dangerous conditions in the WDW area declining during Friday morning.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the help! We had to cancel the whole weekend trip, since now the fort is closed until Sunday. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter