hurricane season is here

This discussion has made me curious. Has there ever been a tornado to hit Disney? I don't remember ever hearing of it happening, i'm just wondering.

If there is one thing you learn living in Central Florida during this season, its that the news jump on the story prematurely and blow it up. It's almost a disappointment if a big storm doesn't form and have Florida in its sights. You are much better off with the hurricane websites like flhurricane.com or others recommended by PP's.

It's also amusing to watch them try to backpedal when they get a forecast wrong. I remember a couple years ago the local news stations were all over a huge system that was "going to" form in the Gulf and send flooding rain all over central Florida, and flood warnings were issued and sand bags filled and . . .nothing happened! No system formed, no rain fell, nothing. The news people were all trying to save face when they got it sooooo wrong. That was when I gave up on the local news for tropical coverage and found reliable websites. When it's something as serious as a hurricane, you need to know what is really going on so you can base your decisions on facts, not speculation.

Do you know if airlines and Disney reach out to you in advisory/closure cases- or do I need to be reaching out to them?

As far as I know, they do not. You need to be proactive. and neither will waive cancellation/change penalties until it seems a hit that may prevent travel is imminent. Disney may be more lenient on changes than on cancellations, but that may not help with airlines until the airline has officially announced a travel advisory - which means they will waive cancellation and change fees. and from last year when TS Erika (which never actually reached Florida as a tropical storm) was considered a possible threat, I know that all airlines may not do this at the same time.

Follow http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ to see progress of named storms and disturbances/possible formations. The latest on this particular disturbance says it's still not looking organized enough to call it a tropical storm.

Last edited:
Didn't a hurricane cause significant damage to the Swan/Dolphin several years ago? Thought I heard that it blew most of the windows out and the hotel was closed a year for repairs.

Meh, not worried. I'll be there in mid September, but I live in South Florida and tend take far-out hurricane forecasts with a grain of salt. They change so much. Beware of the media, which thrives off of hurricanes this time of year for ratings.[/QUOTE
Soundtrack of my life, girl!! They always say that, start telling everyone to stock up on water and ply wood and then.... Nothing.

I'm a nurse so I'll have to cancel my trip (not for the weather) but to work if there's a hurricane in SoFlo. So here's hoping! I don't know how it would work in Central Florida, but where I'm from, it's business as usual if it's a tropical storm.

I live in New Orleans & that used to be how I felt too until Hurricane Katrina. Now I have a slight panic anytime I see anything that is even remotely projected to come this way. I do know that it's still way to early to tell, but now I am super vigilant when there is even a slight chance.

There's no record online of the Swan/Dolphin being closed for a year due to hurricane damage, or any indication that anything on WDW property has been closed more than a few days due to a hurricane, or sustained anything other than minor damage. (there's often a lot of damage to landscaping, but haven't heard about a great deal of structural damage to WDW, which is located inland and usually doesn't bear the full brunt of a hurricane as coastal areas might).

Last edited:
Done with my heart attack over 99L. We get to CSR tomorrow morning, not leaving until Tuesday. And if Orlando gets hit (which it looks like it will only get rain Sunday and Monday), the heck with it. We're on our way to buy Frogg Toggs rain suits now, and we'll tour the World with wet Crocs if we have to until were confined to our room watching Disney movies and eating Mickey head rice crispy treats. Because that's what professional Disney fans do. Let it rain, it won't dampen the magic! :wizard:

Didn't a hurricane cause significant damage to the Swan/Dolphin several years ago? Thought I heard that it blew most of the windows out and the hotel was closed a year for repairs.
Actually this did happen to a hotel near Downtown Disney (now Disney Springs)

We are at WDW at the moment, following progress about 99L as we are about to leave on next Monday. I'll keep you posted if anything happens in the parks or our hotel!

Done with my heart attack over 99L. We get to CSR tomorrow morning, not leaving until Tuesday. And if Orlando gets hit (which it looks like it will only get rain Sunday and Monday), the heck with it. We're on our way to buy Frogg Toggs rain suits now, and we'll tour the World with wet Crocs if we have to until were confined to our room watching Disney movies and eating Mickey head rice crispy treats. Because that's what professional Disney fans do. Let it rain, it won't dampen the magic! :wizard:
That's the spirit! Thank you for that!

We fly out on Sunday (staying at CSR, too!!), and I'm trying my best to stay positive!!!

Last year was the driest and hottest trip we've ever had over labor day. The weather forecast said thunderstorms every day. I'd like to be a weatherman in Orlando during the end of summer.

We were there over Labor day also...never even got sprinkled on. Now, this April was an entirely different story. DW sent me from OKW to All Star Sports to get vegetable soup for dinner. By the time I got back I looked like I had swam a few laps in the pool. I don't think I have ever been that wet fully clothed before.

I'm in south Florida and watching the news right now. They just said its looks at its worst (unorganized) and less likely to recover. Should get to south Florida probably Sunday. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it hitting central Florida. If anything, you all will just get rain. No biggie.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter