hurricane season is here

I work for an insurance processing company and have been keeping an eye on the emails from our company meteorologist since we are going to WDW the first week of October. His one from yesterday said certainly heavy rain for south Florida this weekend, everything else is up in the air with a marginal chance of a tropical storm hitting the western part of the Gulf. He always includes a bunch of satellite pictures and technical terms and then breaks it down for the lay person at the end.

Taken from flhurricane.com:

8:00AM EDT Update 26 August 2016

Chances are way down in the short term for 99L, but it is still being tracked. Impact chances for florida are very low.

With first morning visible satellite the only circulation I can find at the low levels is between Long Island and Crooked Island in the Bahamas, some convection is firing around it, but it may be short lived, as is the entire system. However, there is a chance it can linger on well into next week in the Gulf, so it still should be monitored.

Actually this did happen to a hotel near Downtown Disney (now Disney Springs)

Was it Hotel Royal Plaza? I seem to remember that one being closed for quite a while for renovations but don't remember if it was weather related or not.

It doesn't have to be a full blown hurricane to cause damage. My sister works for a hotel on the east coast, and there was a non-named system that hung around for about 24 hours that caused enough damage to close the hotel for several months for repairs. Water can get in through the smallest of openings . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter