Hurricane Poll

For those of you in FL or surrounding areas. When there is a hurricane coming your w

• Batten down the hatches and ride it out

• Safety comes first....head for the hills

• Wait until the last possible minute to decide what to do

Results are only viewable after voting.
We'll more likely have a blizzard! Rules are the same though - get lots of beer! After a blizzard in the 70s or 80s (I forget which) the mayor of Buffalo wanted everyone to stay home so he told everyone to stay home and drink a few 6-packs of beer. Smart man. He was Irish! :lmao:

Ah, that Jimmy Griffin. What a guy.

When I lived in Kane, PA we had a blizzard that dumped an inch of snow an hour for 72 hours (on top of what we already had). I thought it was great - we sat by the woodstove, the fridge was full of food and beer - warm, dry and full of food and drink - can't beat that with a stick.

Jim, I love Kane, we usually make it there once a year in the fall. I used to hunt in the "pines" that are on the way over to kinzua damn. Used to camp there with my dad and my grandfather, in a homemade pickup camper. My goodness could those 2 snore, I used to fall asleep in the woods during the day just cuz it was quiet. :):lmao:

I think I must live in Hurricane Alley on the Gulf Coast. I've lived here for most of my life and it seems when a storm gets in the Gulf and eyes NW Florida it's target is Navarre. I have never been able to get out of work in enough time to leave usally we have to work to the very last moment. Which leaves enough time to make sure my horses are safe and then we head to our Hurricane Shelter MIL house with enough beverages that I try not to have too many worries Just ride it OUT! I'm going to stay home tomorrow and ride this Storm OUT!

It would have to be a CAT 4 coming in before I would leave my home. I thought Charley in 2004 gave me another 20 year grace period in this area. I can't believe Fay came so close. Naples/Ft. Myers had a LOT of rain and a bit of flooding.

The news stations did such a bad job covering Hurricane Andrew in 1992, they feel "obligated" to over-stress any storm now. A lot of this sensationalizm led to Charlotte County Florida (Punta Gorda) residents not preparing for Charley in 2004.

I live in this area and a lot of us weren't prepared as we should have been because they kept saying it was going to Tampa. We're set up with the bare minimum and we're watching the coverage on TV when they say, right around the time it's even with Fort Myers "Oh by the way Charley's taking a RIGHT!"
Now, I do not trust where they say the storm will hit. I have enough Water and food to get us by for four days no matter what. Then, if another storm takes a Right, I'm ready!

I live in this area and a lot of us weren't prepared as we should have been because they kept saying it was going to Tampa. We're set up with the bare minimum and we're watching the coverage on TV when they say, right around the time it's even with Fort Myers "Oh by the way Charley's taking a RIGHT!"
Now, I do not trust where they say the storm will hit. I have enough Water and food to get us by for four days no matter what. Then, if another storm takes a Right, I'm ready!

I so remember Steve Jerve on Channel 8 news in Tampa turning pasty white when he was handed an update on Charley while on live broadcast. He stopped dead in his tracks, looked straight into the camera and said: "If you live in the Ft. Myers to North Port region seek shelter immediately! It is too late for you to evacuate. Charley just turned to the east and will be hitting your area within the hour."

I never thought hurricanes could cause such damage to central Fla...but I sure got a lesson in 2004! Because our MH is parked beside the house and under cover - I don't stock up on water or worry about purchasing other items. If we lose power or water, we just crank up the generator & move into the MH. Now - if a cat 3 or above storm is going to hold it's power by the time it hits central Fla, I'm cranking up the MH & going to Georgia!!

How are things now? Just watched the national news and it looks like Fay is camped out over Florida and is dumping about 10' of rain an hour!

I think I must live in Hurricane Alley on the Gulf Coast. I've lived here for most of my life and it seems when a storm gets in the Gulf and eyes NW Florida it's target is Navarre. I have never been able to get out of work in enough time to leave usally we have to work to the very last moment. Which leaves enough time to make sure my horses are safe and then we head to our Hurricane Shelter MIL house with enough beverages that I try not to have too many worries Just ride it OUT! I'm going to stay home tomorrow and ride this Storm OUT!

Off Topic....

Love the pup pics on your sig.:thumbsup2

Just to show the contrast in weather, we set a record yesterday in Buffalo - broke a 137 year-old record high yesterday was 88! What's the record high for Orlando for that day?

How are things now? Just watched the national news and it looks like Fay is camped out over Florida and is dumping about 10' of rain an hour!

I wish Fay would come this way, our pond is waaaaaaay low, our grass is brown, haven't had to mow in a couple weeks and hose water on the garden just ain't cutting it.

It was 96 by our digital here yesterday.

well since I'm 2 blocks off the beach in my TT I'd have to move it.....but otherwise I'd stay for a good hurricane party!!! My DBFF was here during Katrina and never left....(same place I'm in now) and they got some roof damage...I'd say God had to have been looking out for his family!!!

We live pretty inland for our area. About 20 miles from the beach. Our backyard floods, but our house is recent construction so it and the front yard are built very high and have never even come close to flooding (and we just received 12" of rain from Fay).

So, that being said, we batten down the hatches and sit tight.

My garage floods at least once a year, ususally twice. But my house is raised up about 2.5-3 feet:
734bc593.jpg

The water has gotten up to the 4th step several times...but its forces us to clean out the garage once a year!!!

In 1979, the US Weather Service started using mens names to identify hurricanes. They'd been using womens names since 1953. The firstman's name they used was,, Bob.
:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter