Hurricane Irma?

My TA was finally able to get through and reschedule my trip (4 hour wait on the phone!), I have things taken care of with Southwest, cancelled my Garden Grocery order and scooter reservation with Buena Vista. The only thing left is to request a refund IF MNSSHP is cancelled on September 10th. Do I call Disney before or after to get a refund? Stay safe everyone!!!!
They refunded my party for the 10th yesterday.

I live about 50 miles north of Disney in another themed community. We ran out of bottled water everywhere yesterday. (Though heck, I live here, I can fill up gallons of pitchers etc with filtered water...) The morning paper said gas stations started shutting down last night due to lack of gas. There is still plenty of food on the shelves of the local Winn Dixie, and they have it fully staffed so the lines aren't long.

On the radio folks from south Florida and the Keys were calling in looking for advice on hotels, as they were having trouble finding rooms in Central Florida. I'm not sure they were looking for Disney rooms, they were just trying to run from the south.

The community development district has started removing garbage cans, pool furniture, etc that can blow away, taking down all wind screens on sports courts, and removing the neighborhood gates.

If the latest models hold driving down might be an issue, with gas also becoming a problem in Georgia and SC due to folks evacuating from low lying areas in those states.

I am about to release a dinner reservation for San Angel Inn on 9/8 and Le Cellier on 9/9 for anybody who is actually there or still going. :welcome:

I will be releasing one for the ever elusive BOG on 9/14 at 4:15PM for 8 when I get mine rescheduled. Here's to hoping I can get a BOG back!

Yes, bottled water would taste better, but I'd be home filling up every container I could find with water. Fill up what every bottle I had for drinking, but also fill tub, any 5 gallon buckets, etc. You need water for more than just drinking. I'm curious, what the shelf stable juice aisle looks like. Water might be best, but liquid is liquid.
the juice aisle was fine, the tea (Arizona type gallons) were running low.
Exactly that's what we always do, fill up all containers with water and bathtubs.

I'm still waiting to decide what to do. I'm supposed to fly in Monday evening arriving around 7pm - doubt this will be happening. I won't be driving from Georgia - that's just too risky. I booked using my points with Southwest so I'm sure I can get those back although I'll probably lose the fee costs.
I was due to fly in Monday morning on Southwest. When I checked this morning many flights on Tues. were not available. I changed my flight to Tue. while there is something left to book. If you cancel you will get a refund to your credit card for the fees associated with your SW points.

I'm honestly curious why some people are so very set on presenting this all as a worst case scenario. "Please cancel!" "Don't come!" "Only a stupid person would head this way!" Etc., are pretty extreme statements. If you live in Florida then you should be done with your own preparedness planning. No one coming down and staying in a hotel is going to affect you - especially if you don't even live in Orlando. Guilt tripping people by talking about Disney employees is a straw man argument at best. There WILL be customers there regardless of whether or not every single member of the DIS cancels their trip, and there WILL be employees required. That's simply a fact.

Right now it does NOT look like the center of the storm will come close to Orlando. There will most certainly be winds and rain, but they won't last for days and days, and the cleanup from them won't last days and days, especially not for Disney which is not in a flood zone. Some people are willing to wait out a day or two in their hotel. The rest of the week looks clear and beautiful. All the doom and gloom really needs to stop.
that's why I keep saying, it is still to early to forecast, not know, forecast, the impact on Central Fl. I understand that these are huge monetary risks and if you can cancel and rebook and it's not a huge deal go for it. But if you have all your plans set and is very hard to rebook and postpone by all means come.
CM will still need to be at the parks and resorts regardless.

We are driving down to Orlando over night Saturday to arrive at our hotel Sunday. From what I have been seeing, we may want to postpone a few days, but the hotel said they are non-refundable and cannot change our dates, since we booked through my work discount thing (ticketsatwork). I contacted tickets at work and they cannot do anything either. I'm so torn between going or not, we have had it booked since last November. I know it is still slightly too early to really know what to do but I'm beginning to panic myself.

Southwest refuses to refund us unless THEY cancel our flight. Or we get a credit to use within a year of purchase which is next March but we won't be able to go until next July. SW is being really unreasonable with their policy when we are canceling bc of a hurricane

Hi all. I am supposed to drive down on the 12th from SC, and I have a room only that night with my actual package starting Wednesday. When do you guys plan on arriving after the hurricane? I am still debating leaving late Tuesday morning or waiting until 12-1am that night and scraping my 9/12 room only. I am not worried much about gas, only need to refuel once.

Oh and no, I am not concerned about my house here, I live upstate.

My group (all 4 of us) just had a conference call, and we agreed to cancel our trip this afternoon. Very disappointing, but I think it's the best call. The way I keep looking at it is, when else will we get a free cancellation or reschedule for bad weather? The answer is never!

Southwest refuses to refund us unless THEY cancel our flight. Or we get a credit to use within a year of purchase which is next March but we won't be able to go until next July. SW is being really unreasonable with their policy when we are canceling bc of a hurricane

Not really. Southwest has by far the most reasonable cancellation and refund policy of the major airlines.

They are very clear that all wanna get away fares are non refundable. If you wanted a refundable ticket you needed to pay more for an upgraded fare or buy insurance. If they allowed refunds then anyone who paid more or bought insurance would be a sucker.

I'm honestly curious why some people are so very set on presenting this all as a worst case scenario. "Please cancel!" "Don't come!" "Only a stupid person would head this way!" Etc., are pretty extreme statements. If you live in Florida then you should be done with your own preparedness planning. No one coming down and staying in a hotel is going to affect you - especially if you don't even live in Orlando. Guilt tripping people by talking about Disney employees is a straw man argument at best. There WILL be customers there regardless of whether or not every single member of the DIS cancels their trip, and there WILL be employees required. That's simply a fact.

Right now it does NOT look like the center of the storm will come close to Orlando. There will most certainly be winds and rain, but they won't last for days and days, and the cleanup from them won't last days and days, especially not for Disney which is not in a flood zone. Some people are willing to wait out a day or two in their hotel. The rest of the week looks clear and beautiful. All the doom and gloom really needs to stop.

Can't speak for anyone else, never mentioned CMs and I didn't call anyone stupid, but I'll bite.. I have been through enough hurricanes, so I PERSONALLY would not go anywhere near one if I had a choice.

People are responsible for themselves. This thread has gotten way out of hand. I hope everyone stays safe, no matter where they are.

Not really. Southwest has by far the most reasonable cancellation and refund policy of the major airlines.

They are very clear that all wanna get away fares are non refundable. If you wanted a refundable ticket you needed to pay more for an upgraded fare or buy insurance. If they allowed refunds then anyone who paid more or bought insurance would be a sucker.

We are thinking of moving our flight to Friday (no change fee) but if we then decide to cancel altogether, will we be able to rebook for January? (At whatever price difference there may be)

Heaven knows Weather Underground is going to know more than a station located in the area to be affected. :crazy2:

It's 2017, not 1980. A thing called technology lets people work remotely. You don't have to be living next door to the Louvre to be an expert on impressionist art.

We are driving down to Orlando over night Saturday to arrive at our hotel Sunday. From what I have been seeing, we may want to postpone a few days, but the hotel said they are non-refundable and cannot change our dates, since we booked through my work discount thing (ticketsatwork). I contacted tickets at work and they cannot do anything either. I'm so torn between going or not, we have had it booked since last November. I know it is still slightly too early to really know what to do but I'm beginning to panic myself.

I would just ask one question: is the amount of money you potentially lose worth risking getting injured or killed on vacation? Also consider shortages of food, water, and gasoline that are already occurring in FL statewide.

I know people are trying to stay optimistic here, but it seems to me that many are underestimating how huge and potentially devastating this hurricane is. This storm is 400 MILES in diameter with sustained winds of 185mph. Take a look at mahobeachcam.com (where St. Maarten just got slammed) to get an idea of what winds like that are like. The storm surge alone has the potential to swamp the entire Florida Keys.

I'm all set. Vacation was starting Sunday than returning next Sunday now I start tomorrow. Be switching resorts 2 nights in Saratoga one night in Polynesian than for my normal vacation one week in the boardwalk. Want to make sure I get there. Im a dvc member so it's not costing me much. Change of air dates was free.
on to make fast passes

that's why I keep saying, it is still to early to forecast, not know, forecast, the impact on Central Fl. I understand that these are huge monetary risks and if you can cancel and rebook and it's not a huge deal go for it. But if you have all your plans set and is very hard to rebook and postpone by all means come.
CM will still need to be at the parks and resorts regardless.

Plus, keep in mind that many of us need to work, and don't really want to go for two or three days without pay just at the time we may need that paycheck the most. Hourly earners can be the hardest hit in a situation like this. I am practically chomping at the bit to get back to work, and have volunteered to go in on my day off Friday to help get things settled before the storm. Evacuations, curfews and company mandates will keep workers out of harms way during the worst of the storm, so no one should feel guilty about keeping their plans as is. Not to mention that evacuees from south Florida may be filling many rooms in the Orlando area, so occupancy may actually be a lot higher than normal around the storm. It's not the first time we've hosted hurricane evacuees and I'm sure it won't be the last, unfortunately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter