Hurricane Irma?

I was there for Matthew last year and the thing I took away from that situation was to book a deluxe room for a better hurricane experience

We stayed at CBR and communication was lacking as to when it was all clear. Having a car it was also beneficial to drive to the local Walmart and avoid the mess that was a "boxed lunch".

Tip: pickup some aluminum foil and use that over your sandwich and use your inroom iron to heat it up :)

2nd tip: park your car at Disney springs and take the bus back to your resort. This way the car is a bit more protected than being in a parking lot surrounded by trees

Someone was asking for a reliable weather tracking site/app.

During Matthew I used both NOAA Now and one called Weather Radar -Weather Alert. (both are in the App Store on iphone and i believed there is an Android version of both as well) NOAA can also be viewed online at www.noaa.gov

Yeah it's still a crapshoot to if and when it's gonna hit Florida. Good news is that a lot models have it missing completely but there are still some that have it either hitting directly or scrapping by on its way somewhere else. And it's still a 8 to 10 days before it would be near Florida so things will keep changing.

Next Sunday and Monday is what to watch out for. But still, there's no reason to worry yet because it's so far out. It's a crapshoot right now.

Last edited:
I was there for Matthew last year and the thing I took away from that situation was to book a deluxe room for a better hurricane experience

We stayed at CBR and communication was lacking as to when it was all clear. Having a car it was also beneficial to drive to the local Walmart and avoid the mess that was a "boxed lunch".

Tip: pickup some aluminum foil and use that over your sandwich and use your inroom iron to heat it up :)

2nd tip: park your car at Disney springs and take the bus back to your resort. This way the car is a bit more protected than being in a parking lot surrounded by trees

I was wondering if I could move my car to the parking decks at Disney Springs, if I needed to!

I was wondering if I could move my car to the parking decks at Disney Springs, if I needed to!
That's what I did last year. It was a rental car but I wasn't taking chances

This last WDW visit I wasn't issued a parking paper pass but last year I was. I'd ask for one or at least leave a note in the windshield that I r on property and a guest

I'm due to fly from Orlando Sanford on the 7th September at 5:30pm to Manchester UK, do you think this flight will still go ahead? I'm not sure what airports do in the days before a hurricane may hit, and this flight will be over the Atlantic. :)

I'm due to fly from Orlando Sanford on the 7th September at 5:30pm to Manchester UK, do you think this flight will still go ahead? I'm not sure what airports do in the days before a hurricane may hit, and this flight will be over the Atlantic. :)

You have absolutely nothing to worry about on the 7th. Airports will be operating normally.

I'm glad We aren't the only ones watching the weather. We arrive on the 7th and leave on the 15th . Maybe I will Grab a few meal items in the event that we have to stay in the room .

Disney is pretty good about hurricanes. a few years back we had trip scheduled and were driving from Mass to Florida and a hurricane was supposed to hit land in DC while we were driving down and then ride the coast in new England. We have horses and a ton of animals and really didnt like leaving a pet sitter to deal with everything during a hurricane. We called and Disney changed our entire reservation no charge including MNSSHP tickets and all our dining reservations to the next week. It must have be noted in our reservation why we moved because when we checked in, they were very concerned and they sent us a gift basket for the kids to our room with a cute note of "surviving the hurricane"

Hi all,
Thanks for opening this thread. And thanks for all the very concise responses from the florida people. I'm travelling with 10 friends to Orlando on the 7th sept until 23rd.
Irma concerned me a little as we've no experience of hurricanes, what to do or expect. It's very reassuring to hear it's unlikely to hit land, that if it did, gather some extra suppliest. Keep us updated. And look out cos we're the ones bringing the **** storm!

Last edited:
Looks like there's a few more predictions showing it winding up in Florida than there were yesterday (and I know it's too early to know anything for sure)... Go the other way, Irma!

We're there 9/9 - 9/22, so at least if it does hit, we've got lots of time to make up for it. But still.

Looks like there's a few more predictions showing it winding up in Florida than there were yesterday (and I know it's too early to know anything for sure)... Go the other way, Irma!

We're there 9/9 - 9/22, so at least if it does hit, we've got lots of time to make up for it. But still.

According to the spaghetti models we're seeing this AM, there were about 4 models (out of 19) that put Irma's center over Florida. None of the tracks put Orlando on the NE side of the hurricane.

I was in Orlando last year during the "Hurricane." They closed all parks, Disney, Universal , you name it, in the early afternoon. During this time, we stayed at a Universal property. They stopped running boats so we had to walk back. We were confined to our room where we were obligated to eat the hotels "buffet," at 40$/person. (They closed down all hotel restaurants) We had horror night passes that night which was obviously canceled. It was kind of funny because in Vegas (where I live) we have worst wind storms than what we experienced in Florida. It was windy, but not bad, and very little rain. Universal did refund the money we had spent on Horror Nights but the whole trip was ruined since we came to florida just for that. We ended up driving to Tampa the next day and we were almost the only car on the highway. We are going again in a couple weeks, and hoping we don't experience the same situation.

As I sit here I need to pack for our Disney trip as we will be there during the potential storm. I just wonder how many pairs of shoes to take! Because rain or not we will be there having a blast! We just might use more hot water later in the day to warm up!

Same! My BFF and I arrive at noon Wednesday... we will be there from 9/6-9/13, flying in from St. Louis. We both just ordered more rain ponchos :) Have some snacks packed for breakfasts in the room or on the go, but will throw an extra bit in my suitcase just in case. Our party night is 9/7, which also has T storms predicted but we will just go and do all we can and have a blast being at WDW! Hope you have a great trip!

So here's a first-world-problem question: If the parks do close for 1 day because of the storm, what happens to the fast passes you have scheduled for that day? Do you get to use them again on another day? The main reason I'm asking is because I have FOP scheduled on the 10th.

Next Sunday later in the day and Monday still seem to be the sweet spot, but based on current models Orlando would get some bad weather but nothing terrible.

Again, it could obviously change. But hopefully the worst we're looking at is Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party getting canceled next Sunday.

How long does it tend to take MCO to reopen and resume normal operations after a hurricane? Let's say the brunt of the hurricane hit at 10a on Monday (again, hypothetically speaking). Or if there's a range based on storm severity, what's the general range?

We'll be there 9/6-9/17 and have MNSSHP tickets for 9/10. If they have to cancel that night, don't think getting tix for Tues will be impossible, but have a feeling that party will be super crowded. Would love if they went ahead and called it on Wed/Thurs to let people choose between 9/7 or 12.

We're staying at Wydham Bonnet Creek and haven't seen much on hurricane procedures (remove patio furniture and keep curtains closed)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter