Hurricane Irma?

Only person I've heard be able to do it but someone a few pages back kept free dining (if that is what you have) there start date remained within their original booking window is the only reason I see why... just in case there is anyway that could work and if disney would allow. I'm speculating why they got to keep it though.

Last edited:
I'm sure that depends on the weather, but keep in mind they don't want the aircraft to stay in Orlando so they will try to get y'all out of there.

Yep, they are stopping all scheduled flights after 5. That gives them time to clear the board of anything running late.

I'm sure that depends on the weather, but keep in mind they don't want the aircraft to stay in Orlando so they will try to get y'all out of there.

Good point! I'll take them all home with me!

I'm east of ATL, too (Tucker). Here's what I suggest:
Prep like you would for tornado warning AND for snow/ice storm.

Tornadoes are very possible. I haven't paid much attention today for the possible Atlanta area impacts, but yesterday it seemed like we might get Tropical Storm strength and tornadoes, around Tuesday. Since tornadoes seem to like to strike at night here, prep a space where you'll be willing to go to when you and yours would rather be sleeping. Basement? Awesome! No basement? Interior room. No room without windows? Clear out a closet.

Snow storm/ ice storm: okay, that part probably won't happen! But you might be stuck in your house for a few days, so stock up like Channel 2 has declared Snowmeggedon. Do you have above ground power lines? Power has a good chance of going out. Below ground power lines and you can't remember when you last lost power? Power outages still a possibility, but probably less likely.

Are you the lowest spot in your neighborhood? Has your house flooded since you've lived there? If yes, get your favorite stuff off the floor. Flooding is probably not a big risk here, but if your location is prone to it, might as well take precautions.

My preparation so far has been buying a few non perishables and toilet paper, lol! I'm probably going to skip the Yellow Daisy Festival this weekend and clean up my basement instead, so that I can get a sleeping area set up. (I used to have a sleeper sofa down there, but it got ruined in a flood. Lowest spot on block + wet summer + massive storm + trees = power outages = no power to the sump pump = 6 inches of water in our basement 4 years ago ) Once the sofa left it became less "spare room" and more "hmm, not sure where to store this, I'll just put it in the basement". So, it's not really tornado warning ready!

I hope everyone is safe in the days ahead!

Thank you. I'm in lawrenceville so not far. Yeah I've prepped for snow and ice so I'll just do it the same. Going to go out tomorrow maybe if there is a rush here it will be one day before it.

Okay so my next question assuming my flight is cancelled, do you think I'm better off calling Disney to cancel my reservation (can they refund my flight too if booked through them?) or should I file a claim through Travelex and deal with them?

P.s mostly everyone is awesome answering my incessant questions so thanks for that!

Okay so my next question assuming my flight is cancelled, do you think I'm better off calling Disney to cancel my reservation (can they refund my flight too if booked through them?) or should I file a claim through Travelex and deal with them?

P.s mostly everyone is awesome answering my incessant questions so thanks for that!

I'd go through Disney travel first. Insurance companies are a pain.

Hi all, I'm going to Disney on the 15th...will be flying out of Albany NY to MCO on the 14th, and flying home on the 16th. The weather should be cleared up by then, right? Not sure if the park will be closed or MNSSHP cancelled. I think my flight path is far away enough from the coast of the Carolinas to miss whatever is left of Irma by then...

We rescheduled and kept everything (free dining, same resort, same room type, no extra cost, but we didn't move to the following week, we just moved it from Sept 8-16 to Sept 12-20.

I'm just replying here to bump this for the person who might need to reschedule. It does not appear that she moved it up to me. She moved it to a later date.

So it has the earliest tropical force winds hitting right below Orlando at 8 PM Saturday. So it's reasonable to assume 8:00 would be a shut down time and then they gave themselves a few hours for wiggle room.
No, I would expect them to shut down well before that, if they are going to shut down. With Matthew they wanted to have all their things secured before it got bad. They wrapped and removed all objects (trash cans, etc) that could be projectiles. They need time, and a clear park, to do this. Plus, they had to secure ALL the F&W booths and displays. That took a very long time. They started that well before the park closed. We spent that last day in Epcot. There were still totally sunny skies that day.

An UPDATE: After 2 hours I made it through to guest services and got the nicest CM ever! I rebooked our trip to 12/10-12/17 and she honored my free dining because it was also a period of dates released in April for free dining. I had to pay the difference in the room rate and tickets because we bought the tickets last year on a bounceback but I am GRATEFUL and don't care about the extra cash at this point. There was no change fee. So there is hope!!

And here's the one I was talking about.

No, I would expect them to shut down well before that, if they are going to shut down. With Matthew they wanted to have all their things secured before it got bad. They wrapped and removed all objects (trash cans, etc) that could be projectiles. They need time, and a clear park, to do this. Plus, they had to secure ALL the F&W booths and displays. That took a very long time. They started that well before the park closed. We spent that last day in Epcot. There were still totally sunny skies that day.

Haha I actually was talking about the airport.

Hi all, I'm going to Disney on the 15th...will be flying out of Albany NY to MCO on the 14th, and flying home on the 16th. The weather should be cleared up by then, right? Not sure if the park will be closed or MNSSHP cancelled. I think my flight path is far away enough from the coast of the Carolinas to miss whatever is left of Irma by then...

I think you'll be fine.

Because you have no flight to take I would start with Disney.

So it has the earliest tropical force winds hitting right below Orlando at 8 PM Saturday. So it's reasonable to assume 8:00 would be a shut down time and then they gave themselves a few hours for wiggle room.

If they expect winds they probably would close earlier than that. Last year during Matthew there was quite a bit of work they had to do. They ere chaining stuff down, moving things, taking down stuff.

Parks closures however took a while to get official word. I heard it from this boards before I heard it anywhere else.

I just realized you said you were talking about the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter