Hurricane Dorian Forces Disney Dream to Alter Sailings

That is crazy. Have you talked to Member Services or only DVC?
Both for DCL and DVC. They say that it's us that is cancelling because we don't want to go on a 2 day cruise. We booked a room at Cocoa beach for 2 night before the cruise. That got cancelled with no issues. We are still going, luckily got a board walk room for 3 nights and we will be grabbing a DVC manager at some point. According to the hotel in Cocoa, the manager there said there is no way there will be ships in port on wednesday. Hopefully this is true. then they will have to refund our points. If they don't budge, I get free lawyers from past and present unions. I'm not gonna just take this laying down.

Before getting a lawyer involved, read the cruise contract. The cruise line has significant leeway to do whatever they want in a weather related situation and is not liable for acts of god and the needed re-routing of ships due to those acts.

Both for DCL and DVC. They say that it's us that is cancelling because we don't want to go on a 2 day cruise. We booked a room at Cocoa beach for 2 night before the cruise. That got cancelled with no issues. We are still going, luckily got a board walk room for 3 nights and we will be grabbing a DVC manager at some point. According to the hotel in Cocoa, the manager there said there is no way there will be ships in port on wednesday. Hopefully this is true. then they will have to refund our points. If they don't budge, I get free lawyers from past and present unions. I'm not gonna just take this laying down.
A change of departure date is not an itinerary change, it becomes a completely different cruise and you're entitled to a refund.. If I booked the 4 Dream leaving on 9/2 and they had to cancel it and could Disney tell me that I had to go on the 3 day Dream leaving on 9/6 instead, take it or leave it? This is no different. If Disney insists otherwise, I would definitely contact an attorney...should be an easy case to win.

Does trip insurance cover cruises with points? I always wondered how that would work.

We were on the Fantasy and hit Hurricane Sandy. CC was cut and we raced into the hurricane one day early. Cash customers got a 25% off next cruise. DVC got nothing. Yes, I complained. It went nowhere. I told them felt like DVC were just barnacles on the bottom of DCL; they have to drag us along.

I’m one of the ones affected by the 3 day being turned into a 5 day. It affected getting back for school and my wife is a teacher. This was supposed to be a last weekend of summer getaway. But getting back Wednesday does no good as a teacher.
So as great as it is for those that got a 5 day for the price of a three you need to think about it from all sides:
How did it affect those that just could not go five days like us
Air adjustments for wed or Thursday if u already had Monday booked? It was quite difficult to find alternate flights and as of yesterday...Wednesday or Thursday flights didn’t apply to the MCO changes for sun and Monday changes:
So it’s not all pixie dust for everyone. For those of us that we’re looking forward to it and for those getting only a 1 1/2 day cruise next week instead of a 4 day it’s not great either.
I still need to now get new airfare for a different cruise and start the process all over again.

Orlando International Airport plans to cease commercial flight operations on Monday, September 2, 2019 at 2 a.m. so no one is going to be able to fly in or out on Monday or Tuesday from Orlando.

Well considering we would’ve drove and both my parents work in areas that flood , this would’ve been an amazing come up to get 2 extra days for the price of 3 and still get to go to Castaway Cay. I do feel bad for people without the flexibility.

Can someone explain to me why they cut the 4 day trip in half? That literally makes no sense to me.

They have to adjust somewhere to cover future cruises. They can't just change them all going forward.

As for the DVC points, if you purchased the Cruise Insuance through DVC, you would get your points back.

Well considering we would’ve drove and both my parents work in areas that flood , this would’ve been an amazing come up to get 2 extra days for the price of 3 and still get to go to Castaway Cay. I do feel bad for people without the flexibility.

Can someone explain to me why they cut the 4 day trip in half? That literally makes no sense to me.

The ship for the 4 day won’t be back in port by the time that cruise is supposed to depart. Instead of outright cancelling it now they are having it depart 2 days late. I suspect though based on current predictions that it will end of cancelled altogether in the end.

Before getting a lawyer involved, read the cruise contract. The cruise line has significant leeway to do whatever they want in a weather related situation and is not liable for acts of god and the needed re-routing of ships due to those acts.
Re routing is one thing. You're changing days. people have flights, rooms, rental cars, etc.... the place we were staying in Cocoa is closing for the storm, so that gives us nowhere to stay tonight and tomorrow night. Now the ship is 2 days later, 2 more nights without a room. And seriously, who wants to go on a 2 day cruise? I know, this is a first world problem, I'm not looking for a handout but I also don't think asking for my points back is unreasonable.
So far the end result is this. We are flying in today, i was able to get a decent rate on a rental(shockingly at last minute), late last night I was able to get a boardwalk room(73 more pts) for 3 nights, so that leaves tuesday night open. We own a condo in Clearwater beach that our renters are leaving on the 2nd, so we will go there til friday when we were due back from the cruise. Of course I lost the 3 day car rental money for the one I rented after the cruise. Still got screwed and if I don't get my points back, I'm probably done with Disney for the rest of my life.

The ship for the 4 day won’t be back in port by the time that cruise is supposed to depart. Instead of outright cancelling it now they are having it depart 2 days late. I suspect though based on current predictions that it will end of cancelled altogether in the end.
That's probably the only way we will get our points back without a tooth and nail fight

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter