How's the dog thing going?

Many? We were there after this new policy went into place - 9 days and saw zero dogs in the park. Saw some waiting for bus at Polynesian (in little buggies), but none at the parks.
I saw several dogs on most of my theme park days, and I was there for a couple of weeks. Since I hadn't seen any in the theme parks on my prior trips, that seemed like many more to me.

Many? We were there after this new policy went into place - 9 days and saw zero dogs in the park. Saw some waiting for bus at Polynesian (in little buggies), but none at the parks.
In addition to two German Shepherds in Service Vests, I observed 4 small dogs (some in strollers) in Epcot in one day and 5 in H.S. the next day. These dogs did not behave, not were handled in a manner that indicated that they were service dogs (but I will admit that I can't say for sure that they are not).

Perhaps I'm wasn't looking for them, but I didn't see any. :)

As with anything, if you are bothered by something, you will notice it more than someone who isn't.

We aren't going back for a few years, so I wonder what it will be like then...maybe they will allow cats!!! Hmmm... :p

Agreed & for all the ppl freaking out, hate to tell them that there are a whole host of nasty things that I’ve seen take place on tables in WDW. When I sit down to eat anywhere in WDW I assume it’s filthy & limit my contact & my food’s contact with the surfaces. I have never been made sick by any animal; however, I’ve gotten very sick almost every time I go to WDW from germs spread from other ppl. It’s against the rules & should be enforced, but so should a lot of stuff.
I don't see anyone freaking out. Just discussing.

And I never have understood that argument. Just because people do other nasty things on tables doesn't mean we should add more.

I don't see anyone freaking out. Just discussing.

And I never have understood that argument. Just because people do other nasty things on tables doesn't mean we should add more.
It’s not about adding more. Some ppl are implying that things were otherwise sanitary before this policy change & that’s just not the case. Most surfaces at WDW are some of the most unsanitary anywhere. I look at it like “what’s one more thing” since I already take as many precautions as possible assuming it’s filthy. If the rule on dogs was absolutely enforced, I would still not trust the surfaces, so what’s the difference. There have been many threads in the past about how filthy the bathrooms can be during crowded times...well that’s not dogs...that’s disgusting ppl.

It’s not about adding more. Some ppl are implying that things were otherwise sanitary before this policy change & that’s just not the case. Most surfaces at WDW are some of the most unsanitary anywhere. I look at it like “what’s one more thing” since I already take as many precautions as possible assuming it’s filthy. If the rule on dogs was absolutely enforced, I would still not trust the surfaces, so what’s the difference. There have been many threads in the past about how filthy the bathrooms can be during crowded times...well that’s not dogs...that’s disgusting ppl.
OK, I must have missed the post where they said things were otherwise sanitary.

Bottom line is that I'm always in favor of minimizing potential exposures, in spite of my assumption that anything I touch in unsanitary.

OK, I must have missed the post where they said things were otherwise sanitary.

Bottom line is that I'm always in favor of minimizing potential exposures, in spite of my assumption that anything I touch in unsanitary.
No. I said it was implied. I guess my point is exposure to things that humans will transmit will be more numerous & more serious. So, it doesn’t bother me since it’s not really an added exposure to anything real. Although, I agree it is against the rules & WDW should enforce all of their rules.

No. I said it was implied. I guess my point is exposure to things that humans will transmit will be more numerous & more serious. So, it doesn’t bother me since it’s not really an added exposure to anything real. Although, I agree it is against the rules & WDW should enforce all of their rules.

I agree completely.

I saw several dogs on most of my theme park days, and I was there for a couple of weeks. Since I hadn't seen any in the theme parks on my prior trips, that seemed like many more to me.
Me too. This is my third day in the parks for this trip and I have seen several dogs in the parks each day.

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Once the new pet policy rolled out, there was a sudden and drastic increase in the number of dogs being brought into the theme parks. So whether or not we like what is happening, we seem to agree at least that it is happening. Disney is legally allowed to ask: Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and What task is the dog trained to perform? But they have not been asking either of these questions.

Exactly right! Disney is willing to take chances with the health and safety of their Resort AND Park guests rather than make the effort to properly control the ever increasing dog problem.

How do you know they don't ask the questions of persons attempting to bring dogs into the park?

What exactly is the "dog problem?" That some resorts now allow pet dogs? Or that you believe more guests are passing off their untrained pets as service dogs? How do you know they are not actual service dogs?

I saw several dogs in the parks last weekend too. They didn't misbehave and as far as I know they were service dogs and entitled to be there.

(In Florida it is a misdemeanor to pass off your pet as a service dog, so they might not want to get caught).

Exactly right! Disney is willing to take chances with the health and safety of their Resort AND Park guests rather than make the effort to properly control the ever increasing dog problem.
If you’re referring to the “dog problem” as ppl lying about service dogs, then you might want to focus your efforts on getting ADA law changed. This is what prohibits WDW from doing much more than they are. And, these same ppl are most likely bringing their dogs everywhere they go, so it’s not just a WDW problem.

How do you know they don't ask the questions of persons attempting to bring dogs into the park?

What exactly is the "dog problem?" That some resorts now allow pet dogs? Or that you believe more guests are passing off their untrained pets as service dogs? How do you know they are not actual service dogs?

I saw several dogs in the parks last weekend too. They didn't misbehave and as far as I know they were service dogs and entitled to be there.

(In Florida it is a misdemeanor to pass off your pet as a service dog, so they might not want to get caught).
And it’s just doesn’t make any sense that the pet policy has anything to do with the increase in the parks. If these ppl are lying, then they don’t care that WDW is pet friendly. The increase in the parks is most likely part of the growing trend of ppl bringing dogs more places in public & calling them service dogs.

Perhaps I'm wasn't looking for them, but I didn't see any. :)

As with anything, if you are bothered by something, you will notice it more than someone who isn't.

We aren't going back for a few years, so I wonder what it will be like then...maybe they will allow cats!!! Hmmm... :p

This was my experience last week as well. I did see several at the airport though.

I went in November and I admit I saw more dogs in the parks than I have seen in the past! However, I guess I had a different outlook on this than many others here because I was thrilled to see more people finding the help and comfort they need in an animal they can legally bring anywhere they go. The world in general has started to see the many benefits these dogs can have on people, emotional support dogs included. This is not just a WDW increase, but something happening globally. I have seen more dogs in malls than I used to!

I understand there is an increased liability and some people may break the rules, but I think that is just a small risk in the grand scheme of how much help these dogs can provide to others. As someone who knows a person severely allergic to dogs, I understand the concern, but the hotels know how to clean rooms properly and its not something new to them. Universal has had success with this for many, many years. So if WDW does it similarly to how Universal has , I don't see this going away anytime soon.

Look at this way, if the people who are now allowed to bring dogs to the resort are lying about the dogs being service animals so they can bring them to the park, then that means they won't be left in the hotel room to bark all day. See? Problem solved! :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter