Howl-o-Scream @ SeaWorld 2021

know the shots are popular but, I don’t equate jello with adult lol . could be the media folks but, seems to be less kids in evidence than HHN has drawn since Stranger Things Opened the floodgates.

Maybe our timing was off, but we didn't see a lot of kids at all. We did chat with a mom and her two daughters, ages 12 and 13, in the holding area before the event started but they were probably the youngest we personally saw. Definitely not like many of the HHN's we have attended where there seemed to be dozens and dozens of babies, toddlers and preschoolers in strollers with their parents.

Passing along another report from a friend that did HHN on Friday and Howl-o-Scream last night. Good event overall - still working out some kinks but it’s opening weekend of their first year. Busy but not crowded.

Pros:
-Houses are well staffed and enthusiastic scare actors - really get into their parts

-Entry is pulsed -no conga line - it slows things down some but most waits were 5-10 minutes

I have to second that the scare actors were incredibly enthusiastic. They all seemed to be 100% into their roles.....and not just those in the houses and scare zones, either. There was a zombie running the scare button at the bar by Wild Arctic and she was TOTALLY in character! As were the Longshoremen at the Sharks Bar and many others. The cast of Monster Stomp brought an energy I have not seen in a show for a VERY long time.

We were told by our tour guide that the max number of people through a house at one time is 6. No conga line means often no one in front of you, so the scares don't get ruined/taken by those a few people ahead. I *really* liked their method of staggering guests..... it made it so much more fun not seeing where people are going to pop out at you before they do. Of course, if you're nervous and needing that in order to get through, that could be problematic!

I was happy that they had a themed non-alcoholic option though, because 4 full sized alcoholic drinks in less than 5 hours is a lot for me, so it allowed me to use one of my drink entitlements and still maintain my equilibrium LOL.
They’d be carrying me out feet first

I’m floored there is no conga line. Starting to wonder tho that the wait times might be difficult if crowds build as season passes.

Some of the dancing in the Siren's Song show is also very much "adultish". DH was shocked that our wholesome SeaWorld incorporated such overtly sexual content.....not shocked "appalled", just shocked SHOCKED. I guess we expected scary, but we weren't expecting sexual scary!
Yeah - sort of surprised by some of the stuff I saw on the various you tube channels to be honest - considering how toned down they have gotten at HHN

I have to second that the scare actors were incredibly enthusiastic. They all seemed to be 100% into their roles.....and not just those in the houses and scare zones, either. There was a zombie running the scare button at the bar by Wild Arctic and she was TOTALLY in character! As were the Longshoremen at the Sharks Bar and many others. The cast of Monster Stomp brought an energy I have not seen in a show for a VERY long time.

We were told by our tour guide that the max number of people through a house at one time is 6. No conga line means often no one in front of you, so the scares don't get ruined/taken by those a few people ahead. I *really* liked their method of staggering guests..... it made it so much more fun not seeing where people are going to pop out at you before they do. Of course, if you're nervous and needing that in order to get through, that could be problematic!
That's great and I'm glad there is no conga line...I've had many scares ruined by the people in front of me over the years.

I also love the fact you can pay to scare others...I'm definitely doing that! :rotfl:

OK.....I am, without a doubt, a chicken baby, so no need to guess why I feel this way but PLEASE help me understand what's fun about looking at bloody rooms filled with gore and having someone scream in your face to startle you??? I really just don't get the attraction here.

OK.....I am, without a doubt, a chicken baby, so no need to guess why I feel this way but PLEASE help me understand what's fun about looking at bloody rooms filled with gore and having someone scream in your face to startle you??? I really just don't get the attraction here.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, that's for sure. But it's really no different than those who enjoy roller coasters.....it's a thrill, and some people thrive on that. Roller coasters give a physical thrill: the feelings derived from launching, dropping, spinning, turning on a track. For Halloween events, it's more of a mental thrill.....the same kind people get from watching scary movies, except you're walking through it and LIVING it. You know it's not real, but it's so exceptionally carried out that it still FEELS real.....and that's a fun "rush" for many.

For me, I'm completely wowed by the details. When I'm walking through the houses, I'm taking it all in.....and I'm always blown away by the level of attention that is given to each house, each room, each scene. Even the small details in the makeup and costume of a specific scare actor. It's often INCREDIBLE.

When walking through the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal, you are transported to another place and that feeling is amazing. The same is true at Howl O Scream and Halloween Horror Nights, just with a sinister side. The scares are very much part of the fun.......I love it when they can "get me" with a scare even when I'm tensed and ready and WAITING for one. After the initial fright (which is brief), the FUN sets in.....and it leaves a person eager for the next one.

Yeah - sort of surprised by some of the stuff I saw on the various you tube channels to be honest - considering how toned down they have gotten at HHN
My take is you can see more explicit T&A on music videos. Can always just keep on a-walking. Not necessarily my cuppa tea. Pretty sure the mr will love. Something for everyone lol

They’ve been quite transparent that it’s an adult event. Still, inevitably, people will complain it’s nothing like the daytime kiddo activities :confused3

My take is you can see more explicit T&A on music videos. Can always just keep on a-walking. Not necessarily my cuppa tea. Pretty sure the mr will love. Something for everyone lol

They’ve been quite transparent that it’s an adult event. Still, inevitably, people will complain it’s nothing like the daytime kiddo activities :confused3
Yeah - not complaining - just surprised really - Id like to see HHN go back in that direction

Yeah - not complaining - just surprised really - Id like to see HHN go back in that direction
In 2004 HHN had two houses (Castle Vampyr and Demon Cantina) which were more adult oriented by having half naked men and women in both. They were both fun but they don't really do those any more which is a shame.

In 2004 HHN had two houses (Castle Vampyr and Demon Cantina) which were more adult oriented by having half naked men and women in both. They were both fun but they don't really do those any more which is a shame.
enjoyed Rob Zombies scare zone in ‘19, it sure had it’s moments Lol

We did HOS last night. We used to do Knott's Scary Farm every year until we moved out here last year. Always bought a pass and usually did the Boo-Fet at least once.

I REALLY wanted to like HOS but...it felt like a "One and Done."

Pros:
1. The Longshoreman's Bar. Loved the ambience, the comic show, and the featured drink, Candy Corn Old Fashion, was the best mixed drink we've had so far at Seaworld. It was strong, not too sweet, and with just the right amount of Candy Corn "essence." I wish they would add it to their permanent menu.

2. The Monster Mash was high energy, great costumes and theming and a lot of talent up there. Loved the part when they did the skeleton dance. There are restrooms in the theater (the Elmo one) and they let you in 30 minutes before the show which you should do as it fills up. This reminded me of Elvia's old show (without Elvira.) I prefer it over what replaced her at Knott's ("Puppet-It up"...which, ironically, is basically a muppet show for adults.)

3. The wait times were low.

4. The second house (in the arctic exhibit) was pretty good and seemed to go on forever. The others were...OK. They really made an effort, although they were certainly not up to Knott's level. Not even close.

5. Seaworld did look dark and spooky. There was a lot of fog in places: I kept expecting jumps scares, but unfortunately there weren't enough jump scares for my liking.

Cons:
1. Just not enough there to keep us interested for more than 3 hours, depending on how long you hang out at the Longshoreman's Bar. And it lacks repeatability. I really regret having gotten a season pass, which will be largely wasted. I might go back again if I am bored and have nothing else to do, having already paid for it.

2. No themed food to speak of.

3. The scare zones weren't very scary, some of the scare actors kind of looked unsure of themselves. They didn't do the very effective slide scares like at Knott's. They lack Knott's Ghost Town, which is an AMAZING venue for this, but the rest of Knott's was done fantastic as well. Seaworld just felt...weak.

4. Aside from Monster Mash, they lacked depth and quality of entertainment.

5. We felt that the mazes just weren't exciting and immersive enough for us. They could have more special effects perhaps? There were some stand out moments (this one scene with strobe lights was a highlight), and we enjoyed them, but still wanted more. And there were only 4 mazes.

6. The layout was too linear as others have mentioned. A lot of walking. Some of the mazes left you off quite a distance back where you came from. The entrances were hard to find, and it wasn't always obvious what maze we were entering.

7. Things were generally hard to find and the map was very hard to read in the available lighting.

8. The first bar, Siren's call?, looked fun. There was even live entertainment. But it was right at the entrance, and most people walked past it so it was mostly empty. If it had been more central, I bet it would have been more popular.

Last edited:
The scare zones weren't very scary, some of the scar actors kind of looked unsure of themselves. They didn't do the very effective slide scares like at Knott's. They lack Knott's Ghost Town, which is an AMAZING venue for this, but the rest of Knott's was done fantastic as well. Seaworld just felt...weak.
We were fortunate to be able to experience Knotts only once, the year they had their version of ‘tooth fairy’. They had a great hotel package, dinner with scareactors, special key rooms, all for a much lower price than normal haunts.

TBH we were blown away! I mean this in a good way, Knotts was much more ‘raw’. Let’s just say the crowd was really into it.

The foreboding atmosphere really had me uneasy…in a very good way. combo of it being an unfamiliar park to us & relatively compact with so many dark nooks & crannies perhaps, all perfect elements for staging a creepy event. I never experienced the slide scares beforehand, awesome.

It truly was a totally different vibe from the USH HHN & the MNSSHP we experienced during the same trip…which we followed up with a stop at the Orlando haunts on the way home on that bucket list trip:).

One thing i do believe that sets the CA haunts apart is the large pool of professionally trained actors my assumption is many of them eagerly line up for the gigs each years, their skill set truly elevated the final result VS many of the same houses set in USO.

That said, going early in the season to most haunts, even the professionally produced ones…you can easily find yourself in a bit of a dress rehearsal mode. Seems the later you go, the better everyone settles into their roles.

have seen things get visibly tweaked during our trips as to what works & doesn’t in the houses. at U they have the “a” & “b” teams. often, one is visibly stronger than the others.

in the past HHN had an internal competition for bragging rights as to the ‘best’ scariest house. many of the scareactors were long-time participants in the event (Chain Saw Wolves!)

IMO, it’s a real labor of love for those who work the events. I appreciate all their efforts, even if they don’t always stick the mark. It’s all about setting one’s expectations realistically. I don’t expect to be blown away the first year of the this new event, however, I sure do look forward to being at the event next Sunday!

So I will probably do HOS again next year - but overall it did seem very poorly planned and a bit cheesy.
Its the first year and HHN is having issues getting people so I'm sure that makes it harder for a second tier park.
The linear structure is a pain as I started in the wrong spot and missed the area with chainsaws and the longshoreman's bar :( I did run into them before HOS as they were heading in and they were pretty cool
I just was not interested in walking through it all again to get back though -

The sirens show was pretty lame if you ask me. I had heard a lot of good things about it.

After two houses I skipped the other two - was not worth the wait.

On the way out I checked out Siren's call - it was VERY loud music and 4 girls dancing - but totally empty - was not going to hang there by myself. Will say the dancers were working very hard even though it was totally empty

The other thing is there were a lot of VERY unhappy people who were not doing HOS and wanted to get through that area etc at around 5:30. So lots of complaining and looking for managers. So they need to figure that out as well or at least do a better job of informing guests. People only do 1 or 2 days at seaworld so when you close early there is no alternative for them. At least HHN you can go to IOA.

know the shots are popular but, I don’t equate jello with adult lol . could be the media folks but, seems to be less kids in evidence than HHN has drawn since Stranger Things Opened the floodgates.

You don't equate jello shots with adults? You have to be 21 to have alcohol, doesn't get more adult than that.

Would it be possible for someone to start an official 2022 thread for Howl-O-Scream please? We’re attending on 29th Oct and I’m not seeing much information for planning purposes. A few houses, scare zones and a show have been announced now for this year via email but I’m looking for information about where to stay in the park as a day guest as we’ll also be doing the park that day as well. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter