How well marked are the roads around Disney?

golfgal

DIS Cast Member<br><font color=green>When did vacu
How good is the signage? Are they good about showing which resort/park, etc are where? If we are going from AKL to the Contemporary for dinner, will they have a sign saying Contemporary this way ----> ?

we were so nervous driving ourselves our last trip - we had always used WDW Transportation....but sooooo easy:)

Just remember that your first "general direction" would be the theme park that your destination is close to...

From the AKL to the Contemporary, for example, you head to the "Magic Kingdom"...soon, you'll see signs that have "Magic Kingsom Resort Area", then signs specifically referring to the Contemporary Resort.

Get in the lane underneath the sign you need, and off you go:) That makes it sound like there's lots of lane changes, but there isn't;) It's easy, really!

Does that make it as clear as mud?;)
HTH!!

:sunny:

They are all definitely marked, but in my opinion they should color code the parks and resort areas better. I have been more than 40 times (we have averaged 3 trips per year since I bought DVC in 1998) and I still miss or take the wrong exits :confused3 I guess I'm gifted in this area ;). My DD's always tease me that the sign they see the most is "you are now leaving WDW".

WDW is extrememly tourist friendly. There are signs everywhere. And the good thing is that even you take the wrong turn for some reason, you'll easily get right back on track. The roads are very easy to navigate.

The big advance signs generally have the names of destinations (Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney) but do not have the name of the intersecting street, or route number at the interchange (Victory Drive, Buena Vista).

Leaving Epcot, for example, the road you get on is Route 536 Epcot Center Drive. The normal expected signing might be "536 to I-4 192) (getting on route 536 which leads to interstate highway I-4 and also highway 192"; an allowed second line is for a "key city" which could be "Downtown Disney".

The actual sign says something like "I-4 192" (two highways as destinations and without the "to"), and "Downtown Disney" as the second line.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

One word of advice. When going to the MK resorts, be sure to be in the farthest right hand lanes that are open. You go thru the MK parking gate, and then on to the resorts. The right hand lane are for the MK resorts.

We goofed that one up- but for the rest of the week, found it very very easy to get around. I was suprised how easy things were. We had also always used disney transportation, but were pleasantly suprised how much we liked having a car at WDW.

The road signs at Disney are clearly marked, AS LONG AS YOU READ THEM. This is a big key, as I've seen so many guests not read them, and eventually get lost.

Someone earlier mentioned a very good point... make sure to know the general area that you are visiting. No matter where you are on property, there will be signs to get you to that general area. Once you're at that general area (Magic Kingdom area, for example) then there will be signs for that specific area in more detail.

If you should happen to miss your turn, NEVER FEAR. Many times there are alternate routes ahead. If not, please PLEASE find a spot to make a safe and LEGAL u-turn. If there is a sign that says No U-Turns, please don't attempt it. Also, the grassy medians are secret car traps. Make sure to avoid them. :)

I would get a resort map and study it before you go so you are familiar with the main roads. There are 4 main roads that form a square that will get you most anywhere: World Drive, Vista Way, Bonnet Creek Pkwy, Buena Vista.

World Drive is the main road that the Magic Kingdom is on... it intersects with most other major roads.

Buena Vista Drive runs perpendicular to World Drive. It's the major road that starts at Downtown Disney, and goes down by CBR, Epcot Resorts, Studios, CSR, BB, and All Stars. Off of it, are Port Orleans, OKW/SSR, Pop, and the Animal Kingdom area.

If you can drive slowly and have a navigator who can read fast you'll do great. Even if you take a wrong turn it's usually pretty simple to find your way back.

Thanks everyone. We will use the buses mostly, but I think we will drive over to Chef Mickey and just wanted to make sure we could find it since it will be our first full day there and won't have are bearings.

Golfgal,

Are you going to MK after CM's? If so, consider using Disney transportation to the Contemporary. Attempting to get to the TTC from the Contemporary by car is difficult at best. I would only drive if I am going to any park other than MK that day.

Mady/Sophiemom said:
One word of advice. When going to the MK resorts, be sure to be in the farthest right hand lanes that are open. You go thru the MK parking gate, and then on to the resorts. The right hand lane are for the MK resorts.

You are not kidding!!!! We were in the farthest left hand lane when we were trying to get to O'hana's and of course didn't/couldn't see the signs to the proper resort and got all messed up. The funny/scary thing was the horrible directions that we got from CMs and even security people that got us even more lost until we finally just said forget it and cancelled the PS :( NOT a great Disney day!

This tip alone could save a marriage. ;)

Mady/Sophiemom said:

Indeed, great info. But one thing I'd like to add... when merging, PLEASE do not attempt to cut the buses off! So many cars try and speed up to cut the buses off, and there are just far too many accidents created this way when they don't make it.

ncbyrne said:
Car traps? Can you be more specific? Very curious.
The grassy medians are secretly very muddy. At least a few times a week, a car or truck will try to make a u-turn over the grassy median (which is actually a water drainage area) and they will get stuck. 4 wheel drive or not, they get stuck, and have to be towed out.

My favorite was when a Hotel Plaza Blvd bus tried to do it. LOL that was a hoot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter