How to get out of the TimeShare Pitch?

blu3d3vil

DIS Veteran
So I found an excellent price on a condo for my next trip. I read the reviews about the resort and they are pretty good. So I know the place is a nice place. The terms of the deal say my wife and I have to attend a 90 min sales pitch in order to get the good price.

So my question, how can I get the good price and get out of the sales pitch? Is it possible? If not possible can I make an excuse to at least get my wife out of the 90 minutes and only one of us attend? Appreciate any help.

If the terms of the deal require both you and your wife to attend then you both must otherwise you could be charged rack rate for your stay (that is likely stated in the terms and conditions). However, if you go in with a resale ad (possibly from eBay) printed out and ask them to match, it may reduce the time or they may make you stay for the full presentation out of spite.

I know that if you agree to the reduced price, and that price includes you and your spouse to attend the presentation, they will charge you full price if you don't attend.

You could check on VRBO.com to see what an owner might charge you to rent the condo. Then, if you rent from an owner, I think you can skip the presentation. They can ask and ask and ask, but you can refuse to attend.

You and wife got to do it, but only stay 90 minutes. The presentation will most likely be longer than 90 minutes, but you are only required to stay 90. You can leave at any point beyond the 90 minute mark with no consequences.

Well thats good to know that we can leave after 90 minutes. I hope they can handle 2 little kids being with us during the presentation.

Well thats good to know that we can leave after 90 minutes. I hope they can handle 2 little kids being with us during the presentation.

Actually, that is a tip that others have listed as a way to help you get out on time- bring the squirmy kids and don't bother to rein them in. The sales folks will be happy to let you go.

Another tip is to make sure you tell them "Ok, this is the start of my 90 minutes", I have read that the salesperson may invite you for a meal or food, and that doesn't count for the 90 minutes. Some places are very hard-sell, so make sure you wear some armor! :lmao:

Are you certain that you'd actually be staying in a timeshare condo? Many of these promo offers will put you up in a decent area hotel room, then you tour their timeshare resort. Doublecheck the wording on the offer.

Another tip is to make sure you tell them "Ok, this is the start of my 90 minutes", I have read that the salesperson may invite you for a meal or food, and that doesn't count for the 90 minutes. Some places are very hard-sell, so make sure you wear some armor! :lmao:

This is generally true. Most timeshare developers don't count time during a "free" breakfast as part of the presentation (and that's apparently entirely legal under Florida timeshare law) and they may not count time that you tour a resort. For some timeshare tours and presentations you may travel to the model villa by van rather than taking your own car/rental car so you may end up in a situation where you and your vehicle are at entirely different parts of Orlando/Kissimmee when you hit the 90 minute mark - advantage to the sales person.
On the squirmy children issue, some resorts have a presentation day-care set up that's impressed on people as being mandatory, so your children aren't necessiarily going to be with you during the presentation.

My best advice is to look for an unattached discount offer rather than do a timeshare presenation/tour. But if you've already booked it then you should make the best of it knowing that it'll be more than 90 minutes. In that situation I'd suggest that you tell everyone that you meet while you're going through the process that you are not interested in buying a timeshare and won't do so under any circumstances. Let them know that the only reason that you're taking the presentation is that you got such a good room rate. This tactic can sometimes speed the whole thing along.

Dick Taylor

I think that the direct answer to your question is that you can't really get out of the presentation entirely and still get the price that you like.

Actually, that is a tip that others have listed as a way to help you get out on time- bring the squirmy kids and don't bother to rein them in. The sales folks will be happy to let you go.

That may not work everywhere. At the last timeshare pitch I went to, they had a supervised playroom where you had to drop-off young children while you attended the sales pitch.

BTW, this was at the Bonnet Creek Resort.

Another poster, mentioned that you are sometimes brought to another location for the tour, so you cannot "escape". At Bonnet Creek, the presentation and the tour are at the resort, so if you want to leave at the 2-hour point or whenever, you can escape.

I've heard some scary stories too on these boards about the child care center being a bit removed from where the parents are and mom was pleading for her baby back well past the required time and they wouldn't budge. Sheesh... like they hold your kid hostage and interrogate you.

I would tell them you have to pick up family from the airport and a specific time and you won't be staying past that time. Make sure they know of this right from the start.

Most timeshare presentations insist that if you're married, spouse must attend. It would be a large purchase (equiv. to buying a car if you buy thru developer) and of course people would balk and say, "I really would have to discuss this with my wife/husband." They know this so that's why they say both must attend.

We've done a few about 7-8 yrs ago when we were on a really low budget and it was the only way we'd be able to go. Now that we own a TS, (bought as a resale online for a fraction of developer's price) I would never waste precious vacation time touring resorts.

good luck and hope you get your tour done quickly. :goodvibes

Wow these are great tips! Thanks!

We haven't booked yet, after reading comments we might not.

I've heard some scary stories too on these boards about the child care center being a bit removed from where the parents are and mom was pleading for her baby back well past the required time and they wouldn't budge. Sheesh... like they hold your kid hostage and interrogate you.

Oh you bet I'd be on the phone with 911 if that were me! I can't believe they could get away with that! To leave your children with people you've never met for a couple of hours and then to be driven to a location away from where your children are is just insane to me!

Oh you bet I'd be on the phone with 911 if that were me! I can't believe they could get away with that! To leave your children with people you've never met for a couple of hours and then to be driven to a location away from where your children are is just insane to me!

Yeah, I think that would be a deal-breaker for me. I would play the "overprotective parent" card (even though IRL I'm not) and refuse to be parted from the kids. Unless it is something spelled out in the room/rate agreement small type, I would think parents have the right to refuse the offered child care (or refuse the presentation).

We haven't booked yet, after reading comments we might not.
In that case, don't. I own three timeshares (all resale for pennies to dimes on the dollar) and would never ever attend a presentation. You could not pay me enough.

If you take the approach that you don't want to waste the salesman's time, and bring copies of recent resale auctions from eBay and ask them if they can match that price (developer pricing is typically 50-90% higher), then the meeting will likely end early. The salesman and his manager are accustomed to wearing down people who have excuses (no intention to buy, someplace to go) but they can't compete with a knowledgeable buyer who has resale information and will quickly move on to the next target.

So I found an excellent price on a condo for my next trip. I read the reviews about the resort and they are pretty good. So I know the place is a nice place. The terms of the deal say my wife and I have to attend a 90 min sales pitch in order to get the good price.

So my question, how can I get the good price and get out of the sales pitch? Is it possible? If not possible can I make an excuse to at least get my wife out of the 90 minutes and only one of us attend? Appreciate any help.

You can get out of it, by paying full price for your hotel room

I guess I do not understand why the OP would book a timeshare tour and then expect to get a fantastic rate without some sort of pay back to the company. They do not just GIVE away expensive rooms. IF you make a deal to dance with the devil then you need to pay the piper.

The only place I know that gives great deals without the tour is Sheraton. If you look on this board you will se how some people have been given 5 days 4 nights for 149 with 100 back when they arrrive and no tour. This is not a scam and I have been invited also.

I guess I do not understand why the OP would book a timeshare tour and then expect to get a fantastic rate without some sort of pay back to the company. They do not just GIVE away expensive rooms. IF you make a deal to dance with the devil then you need to pay the piper.

The only place I know that gives great deals without the tour is Sheraton. If you look on this board you will se how some people have been given 5 days 4 nights for 149 with 100 back when they arrrive and no tour. This is not a scam and I have been invited also.

I don't want to book a timshare tour. I want to book a cheap room that is pretty nice. Apparently this is about the only way to do it. I've never been on one of these 'tours' and didn't know what to expect. I'm pretty sure that I'll just come off the hip some now and not book this tour - even though it was only $19 a night. Thanks for all of the advice.

You can't get out of it. It says on the check in materials that you have to pay rack rate if you don't go to the presentation. With that said it can be a cheap way to stay if you select the right company. Stay far away from Westgate as I hear they are brutal. We did one earlier this month as Horizons by Marriott and it was easy and we were out in about an hour. I did come armed with information about resales, etc. and he knew he didn't have a sale and let us go. The kids (7,6, and 4) did go to a playroom and weren't held hostage - they had a great time actually! We also stayed at the Sheraton Vistana Villages that week and did have to do a tour - got the $100 cash back. Rep tried to get me to do one (with an extra $100 incentive) but no go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter