How to deal with the "You're going to Disney again?" people

When we took our "Once in a Lifetime" trip in Nov 2008, we caught a lot of slack for it because, we were always crying poverty (we had accumilated a lot of debt in the first 7 years of our marriage), but when I won a settlement from a car accident, I decided to put just enough money aside to take a REAL vacation and treat my little family to a well deserved break. I figured that this would be our one and only trip to Disney so I was going to get as much out of it as I could....
...since that trip, we have gone to WDW 2 more times in 2009 and we are now planning a trip to DL for July 2010. AND we are now debt free.

We still struggle with money and with making our ends meet, but what we've gotten out of our family vacations to Disney have been priceless.

People may wonder if we have our priorities straight, and that's fine, go a head and wonder. I myself have no doubt about what my priorities are.

My mother in particular has a hard time understanding this "childish obsession" as she puts it with Disney, especially since growing up she literally gave us the world and I don't mean Disney World - I mean the world,world. She had my sister and I traveling all over the globe. She hate the idea that I was a world traveler by age 3 and now that I am an adult I waste my money by making Disney as my destination of choice.:scared1:

When we took our "Once in a Lifetime" trip in Nov 2008, we caught a lot of slack for it because, we were always crying poverty (we had accumilated a lot of debt in the first 7 years of our marriage), but when I won a settlement from a car accident, I decided to put just enough money aside to take a REAL vacation and treat my little family to a well deserved break. I figured that this would be our one and only trip to Disney so I was going to get as much out of it as I could....
...since that trip, we have gone to WDW 2 more times in 2009 and we are now planning a trip to DL for July 2010. AND we are now debt free.

We still struggle with money and with making our ends meet, but what we've gotten out of our family vacations to Disney have been priceless.

People may wonder if we have our priorities straight, and that's fine, go a head and wonder. I myself have no doubt about what my priorities are.

My mother in particular has a hard time understanding this "childish obsession" as she puts it with Disney, especially since growing up she literally gave us the world and I don't mean Disney World - I mean the world,world. She had my sister and I traveling all over the globe. She hate the idea that I was a world traveler by age 3 and now that I am an adult I waste my money by making Disney as my destination of choice.:scared1:

good for you, i think everyone deserves a vacation. I am a single mom and I work a full time job and have a few side jobs. Yea i struggle like we all do but i am so deserving of my disney vacation. my kids have all they need, bills are paid and it takes me a year to pay for my vacation. we stay at FW in the cabins, which aren't cheap but who cares!!! its convenient for me with my handicapped daughter. you only live once, enjoy life to the fullest and make the most of it all!!!!! :lmao:

I tell them we don't smoke or sit in a bar, that is how we can afford to go on trips, shuts them right up.

Our family of 5 gets a similar "Disney Again?" response from friends and family.
I just call myself the Disney Nut of the family and after a few laughs the subject changes.
I really don't think most people know how affordable and enjoyable a vacation it is. Enjoy, Cheers.

We visit Disney twice and sometimes ( heaven forbid) three times a year and we're from Massachusetts. When our friends say Again???? with disgust--we just smile and say 'YES'!!!

Depending on the person, I may give them some insight as to the things that keep me coming back continuously, but usually I end up going with:

"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand"...:thumbsup2

That's probably the best reply I've heard yet!

When I applied for a job at the Disney Store back in 2004, during my interview the manager asked me what I liked best about trips to WDW to get a feel for my thoughts about Disney in general. Keep in mind she was also someone who liked to go to WDW. My reply was off the cuff since I had no idea I'd be asked such a question. My answer- The way I feel like a kid again and the weight of the world seems to fall off my shoulders when I am there.
I guess she liked the answer, I got the job on the spot. :cool1:

I've been to Disney many times and just got back last week from this years trip and have already booked my trip for next year.

People at work think I am crazy...But I just tell them what with work and having to be sensible and mature for most of the year, For my Holiday's I like nothing better than going to Disney and being a kid again... oh and getting a hug from Mickey :)

ha! I can't believe I found this thread! I just booked a Disney Trip for August. DH gave me the OK :o)! We were just there in Nov '09 and I went with my sister in May '09 after having not been since '90. She has gone 5 times in the past 3yrs and is hooked and now I am too. I haven't told anyone about our Aug trip for this exact reason! I dont want to hear the "you're going again" that I got that when we went in Nov. It is MY happy spot. It's the place my mind goes to when I'm stuck home worrying about life. So it's just logical for me to go there when we can get away on vacation. Plus now my sons are addicted too LOL. Beats me why some people don't understand it when they too have their own happy places!

Here's what I say "why YES and your still NOT invited!":)

Here's what I say "why YES and your still NOT invited!"
:rotfl2:

And if you did invite them and everyone a fabulous time, they STILL wouldn't get it.

I usually say "You're just jealous",
or I tell them...we'd be happy to let you use our points to stay at a villa...you'd be sold too. :)

I have gone 9 times, our 10th will be march 2011. When people have comments about it i just say "yeah we're going again", then I throw in the best back question ever "you jealous". It throws the issue at them, they are jealous thats why they are making comments, just be blunt about it
works everytime they say yes i am, then they are the ones changing the subject

Trust me...us Vegas people (we go once or twice a year) get the same reaction when we tell people we're going back! LOL!:rotfl: I can't wait to take my kids to Disney because I sure as heck would NEVER bring them to Vegas!!!

We love Disney and Vegas... Our Disney trip starts with an overnight "airport trip" to Vegas and the kids love staying at the different themed hotels there, my DD14 especially enjoys the roller coaster at the NYNY hotel.

Back to the original topic... I think the thing that boggle "non-DIS" people when we talk about our upcoming trips is the length of time we spend there (usually 8 days or so). I try and try to explain that 8 days is what we can manage with work and money but we really NEED to stay LONGER (then I realize I've missed their point and they really wanted to know why we were staying "so long" in Disneyworld!) :lmao: They will never understand....

Dh and mine's best friend is staying with us this weekend. Bff, me & dd just all went to lunch together- the whole meal he was asking when we are going to take a real vacation. WDW is not a real vacation in his eyes. I asked him if he had ever been- 1 week in 1985 - he was 14!! DD was getting realy upset and I had to firmly shut him up. We love Disney and it is a very real vacation for us. As long as financially we can afford it we plan on going every year. I am even secretly dreaming DD one day YEARS from now will want to get married there!

What really sucks is tonight we are going to a baseball game with my inlaws who will also jump on the "why are you going to Disney again" bandwagon.

I don't deal with them!

My friends hear we are going on vacation now and just assume it is Disney. They were actually SHOCKED when we went to Williamsburg and DC this month!

Dawn

We get that, too. We actually agonize for months about where to go on our
bi annual vacation...Napa? Italy? London? Alaska?
We Always end up booking Disney and we always go in October and we always stay in the same room at the Yacht Club!! :crazy:

. you only live once, enjoy life to the fullest and make the most of it all!!!!! :lmao:

We also get alot of the Why are you going to WDW again?
My answer- Why Not?

My kids are 2 and 4 and they'll be grown up way too soon!! We're gonna enjoy every moment we have together.You get no do overs in life.

I would like to pipe in on this topic. As you can see from my signature, we have been to Disney many times.:thumbsup2 I have had many people over the years say "why, again?" I discovered once I started explaining to them some of the wonderful things that make us want to go back time and time again, I then became known as a Disney expert with my peer group. Then they were asking ME what to do and where to go when they went to Disney. I actually consider myself responsible for converting at least two families who are trying to catch up with me on the number of visits to WDW!

Before I "got the Disney bug" I wouldn't have understood it either if someone had looked like a "Disney fanatic." We are on the DIS boards because we have all been bitten by the bug.... maybe it's up to us to educate the "... poor, unfortunate souls....":charac2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter