How to deal with the "You're going to Disney again?" people

Something I have noticed is that most of the "Disney Haters" seem to have their own special place that they go each and every year. Usually Vegas. I like Vegas ok, but I prefer Disney. I just don't go around disparaging other people's vacation choices. Wish they would leave mine alone.

Trust me...us Vegas people (we go once or twice a year) get the same reaction when we tell people we're going back! LOL!:rotfl: I can't wait to take my kids to Disney because I sure as heck would NEVER bring them to Vegas!!!

Glad to see this and read the responses. I'm going to take a few tips from here, particularly the short answers. I'm one who usually feels the need to explain.

My MIL has an issue w/ us going to Disneyland because of my kids' ages. She's one of those who is always saying, "They're so young, they're going to forget. It's such a waste of money when they're little". That one has never made a lick of sense to me.

We are going on our first family trip next month. DH is already talking about going more often. I mentioned to my Mom how DH wants to go yearly or every 18 months or so and she was like "Why?" and "Your kids will get sick of it." Now when I was a kid I would have LOVED to go that often. We still went every few years. I don't get why they would get sick of it? I have a feeling we will get attitude if we do go often.

For all the people that ask about our family going to Disney again I just tell them about all the great trips we've had. Going to WDW isn't just about the trip, the family bonding is far more important. Watching as the kids mature with each trip is a benchmark for growth. I hope we never lose that youthful feeling we get on our trips. Disney is a learning experience that grows with each trip. I hope everyone has a special place that they return to, even if it's not Disney. :hippie:

We went on our first-ever-for-any-of-us Disney trip last April...We went for 8 days, and jam-packed each day. We all agree we MAYBE saw/did about 1/10 of what there is to see/do!

Plus, I went online out of curiousity to the Flower and Garden show pics from this year, and everything is completely different this year! So really, you can strike all that off the 1/10 as well!:confused3

We are now planning another trip for April of 2013, and my Mom (who travelled with us, and we met for supper each night) is right on board with us again! I just asked her two days ago, asking if she'd like to travel with us again, and she said "YUP!" with absolutely no hesitation, and said the same thing...how we only saw a tiny bit of what there was to do!

I sent Disney pics as Christmas cards, and everyone's comments were the same (I sent random ones, so everyone got a different pic)..."You all look like you had SO much fun!":cool1::cool1:

We own DVC so we go pretty often and get the “…again?” a lot from people outside of our family or my husband’s side of family. The people on my side of the family want to know when we are going again and which one of them we are taking with us! There is no other place where all of us, DH, DD, and myself can just spend time being silly and block the outside world out. As our daughter gets older we will also go other places like national parks but now at 3, those places would be more hassle that dazzle. We know this since we travel to NYC each year with her to see family. I think the haters are really jealous more than anything else.

::mad: So, we got back from WDW last Sunday and by Monday, DH and I were already planning our February 2011 trip. And somebody pinch me ... DH told me tonight at dinner to do research about a WDW Resort (We've stayed at a condo in Kissimmee the last 2 years)!! :yay: But I digress.

This week, we've been telling various family members and friends about our recent WDW trip. Somewhere in the course of the conversation we will casually add, "We're going back next year." We're usually met with stunned silence and then the old "You're going back to Disney again? Why? You've already been."

The first few times, it was easy to explain: "Well, all of us love it there (DD and DS, too), we only really get one vacation a year and this is where we want to go ..." After the fourth or fifth time of explaining, I was starting to get irritated.

My biggest irritation is that the majority of the people who were giving us the third degree about going to Disney yet again, are the same people who choose to vacation in the same spot every year: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, the Jersey Shore, etc. A family member pushed me to the brink this morning and I finally asked, "Well, why do you go back to such and such every year?" She explained that such and such is beautiful, she's the happiest when she's there, she's relaxed ... Well, that's EXACTLY how my family feels about Disney! After that, the family member changed the subject. Well, if that's what it took ...

How do you handle the "You're going to Disney again?" people? DH thinks we should just stop telling people that we're going.

UPDATE: Since I made this post, we have booked a late November/early December trip! We haven't told a soul ... yet.

I use to get "You're going again?" Normally in a really snotty tone. After 6 years of multiple trips a year they have learned to ask "When is your next trip?" I always have one or two planned before I get home.:cool1:

What gets me is when I meet someone new that asks why we always go (again in the snotty tone) because they always throw in "why do you always go on vacation with your kids?" :scared1: Are you kidding me? I am a working Mom and don't feel like I get enough time with my kids and would NEVER think of vacationing without them. My kids are 5 and 3 and when they start asking "why are we going back?" I will look at other vacation spots but until then I get to keep going. I don't really see this happening as they ask on the way home when we are going again. :goodvibes

Reality is it does not matter what they think if you and your family is happy with your trips.:cool1:

...."We will go anywhere you want as long as you're paying." :rotfl2:

:lmao::rotfl2::lmao:

We have no children and we go back every few years. This will be our first consecutive year trip and I've been getting this constantly. I remind my friends and family that though they have lost the little kid in them that desires to have fun and run around an amusement park. That we have not and we will love our trip just as much as we always do. And when they suggest I should go to Europe or to a tropical island I'll send them pics of us in front of the various countries in Epcot Margarita in hand with a huge smile on my face.

I think people think Disney is so expensive and you are a rich snob if you go a lot. What people don't understand is if you plan well, it costs just as much as any other vacation. Not that it cant be expensive it definitley can, but so can going to myrtle beach!!!! These people annoy me, I don't ask why they are going on vacation to their spot of the year, it's very interesting why one would have such an issue with DW!

One of my brothers asks me this all the time. My youngest son has milk-protein-induced-enterocolitis-syndrome and cannot eat dairy. Each time my brother says this, I try to explain that Disney does such a great job with food allergies that we will vacation there as long as we can afford it, he has this condition, and the kids want to go there. (We have tried to go other places or even just out to dinner around home and found that there are very few places that will attempt to accomodate DS)
Yet, he would still persist in his questioning. Well, we recently had DS in the hospital intensive care unit for a milk challenge which he failed miserably. I gave my brother the blow by blow of what happened there (what happens when he has a reaction) - it is extremely scary (massive, violent, repetitive vomiting 2 hours after ingestion followed by his becoming horribly pale and passing out with possibly low blood pressure, then diarrhea). I think that FINALLY got through to him. Plus my brother will be with us on our next trip, for the first portion when we will be staying at Cocoa Beach, and he will see first hand how hard it is to find us places to eat.

We get all the time "you are going again you were just there"
I priced out a week in Ocean City Md and it is costing the same for 8days at Disney why would I not go to Disney :confused3

My 11 year old has been 9 times my 6 year old has been 8 times and my 2 year old has been 1 officially and 1 time in the belly :rotfl:
and they still get the glitter in the eye and the excitement when they get off the plane in Orlando cause they know were they are going now that is Priceless :lovestruc

My family is thankfully at the point where people stop asking us why we are going again. But one thing I have realized is that at least half of the magic at WDW is what families bring with them. Not everyone is capable of having a magical time because not everyone has the magic in their family. Therefore, they just don't get it. We are a blessed bunch of people who can go time after time and still have so much fun with our families and friends and leave our troubles behind. Just let it be. Let them keep asking why, and hope that one day they WILL understand.

My response varies from place to place.

At work, I usually say "After working here for 51 weeks out of the year, I deserve a week at The Happiest Place on Earth."

For friends it's "I consider it akin to going to my cottage with 65,000 of my best friends."

My motto is "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." The quote wasn't about Disney trips, but it suits my needs just fine.

I mentioned to a friend that I've put a deposit down on a trip for this fall, with a pending trip to happen in June (That's right, I'm planning a trip ahead). He said "Yeah - I know, Bob Iger thanked you personally in the earnings call last week"

I thought that was witty.

certain in-laws have said why not go to an Island ??? my response is "Will Mickey be there"??? then i tell them why do you go camping every year ??? they seem to stop after that

I get tired of hearing this question when someone finds out we're going "again". After we do the math for a vacation we don't spend that much more to go to wdw. After I point out the cost differences you'd think it would make a difference but it doesn't. We're not rich and we work hard so we can vacation to wdw every 1-2 yrs. I hate when people say "we're not rich like them". Drives me nuts as if they think we have a money tree and it's hard for them to believe we're great at saving and not wasting money.

Some other ideas:

1) We want to go while they are still little and think it is all magic!

2) Between working and the kids (or just keeping up with the kids), it is hard to have time to plan a vacation. With Disney I know all the options and I don't have to spend weeks researching.

3) We have fun watching them be amazed by everything. When they are older and they can remember things better I am sure we will diversify our vacations.

4) Disney is soooo kid-oriented. We can go to fancy restaurants and kids are still welcome. It's the perfect place for this time in our lives.

I have friends who camp all summer long in their $20K, $30K, $40K campers and I would never DREAM of saying "you're camping AGAIN??:scared1:" It is their choice, but for some reason-people feel differently about people who vacation at Disney.

I am pricing out a 5 night trip to South Dakota (Mt Rushmore, etc) which is just the next state over, and I am finding it to be more expensive than WDW!:eek:

So-to answer your question, I just say "Yep!:)"

...and I head to WDW with the kiddos and HAVE A BLAST!:wizard:

As long as it's not affecting my reputation at work, I go as much as I can. I had a boss who went 40 days a year to Disney, and although I had no problem with it, others couldn't count on him on a regular basis. He eventually got bad enough ratings to want to change companies, where he still goes to Disney 40 days a year. He's happy, and that's all that matters in the end.

If you are not a manager or in a role that co-workers need to depend on you, then the sky's the limit.

I get it too..."You are going again?" "Why do you want to go there...AGAIN?" "Well, I wouldn't go there every year." YET...They come to me eventually for advice and my coveted "Mouse Tips" document ;)

And to my friends and family who have NEVER voiced such a thing to me, I will continue to answer your questions and help you plan your trips. And to those that have voiced such a thing, I'll STILL help you because I help everyone AGAIN AND AGAIN!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter