How strict is the Castaway Cay 5k?

Rebecca Pocahontas

Mouseketeer
So my mom wants to do the run (and actually run it), while I am just not a fan of running, but I will gladly walk the course. However she will probably finish the race in 20-ish minutes, while I would finish it speed-walking in 40-ish minutes. Am I allowed to cut the course short and only do half of it so that we can both finish at about the same time? Do they really care if you even finish the whole course?

So my mom wants to do the run (and actually run it), while I am just not a fan of running, but I will gladly walk the course. However she will probably finish the race in 20-ish minutes, while I would finish it speed-walking in 40-ish minutes. Am I allowed to cut the course short and only do half of it so that we can both finish at about the same time? Do they really care if you even finish the whole course?

I can't imagine that this would be a problem. They do not keep time and it is not even exactly 5K in length.

They do not police this. My husband took an accidental turn and shortened his run on our first visit to Castaway. They don't keep track and he still got his medal.

I took the 5K seriously the first few times but since then I will cut it short if it's too hot/humid. The key thing is you want to be able to finish in time to get your medal.

Consider it a fun run. You can run or walk. You might want to consider not taking the second loop though the brush towards the observation tower. That will help you a lot.

I took the 5K seriously the first few times but since then I will cut it short if it's too hot/humid. The key thing is you want to be able to finish in time to get your medal.

When we have done it, they have noted you can take as long as you want, you can explore out there or whatever, but if they (the CMs) are gone when you finish they leave some medals at the little gift shop there. You can pick one up there (unless things have changed).

This is great info! My 12 year old wanted to run but was worried about the heat when we were there.

This is going to be unpopular but let me just provide an alternate point of view. In the running world if you don't finish a race, you don't get a medal - you didn't earn it. As people have said and implied, this isn't a race but is actually a "fun run" so if you plan to finish with your mom around the 20 minute mark, that will be the time of serious runners who are part of this culture and not random casuals so just be forewarned and know what you're trying to get into.

This is going to be unpopular but let me just provide an alternate point of view. In the running world if you don't finish a race, you don't get a medal - you didn't earn it. As people have said and implied, this isn't a race but is actually a "fun run" so if you plan to finish with your mom around the 20 minute mark, that will be the time of serious runners who are part of this culture and not random casuals so just be forewarned and know what you're trying to get into.
Agreed. If you just want to go for a 2K walk, then don't sign up, go for a 2K walk, and have a nice time. No one is going to stop you from walking along the path because you didn't sign up. And it sounds like signing up doesn't get you off of the ship early. So go have a nice walk while others in your family do the 5K. Don't sign up for a medal that you know ahead of time you don't deserve.

I would say a lot of people who walk don't do the second loop. I did the 5k once and walked the whole course. When I got to the finish line I noticed a lot of people I had passed were already at the finish. Very few people passed me after the initial start, when everyone is setting their pace. I thought it was kind of lame to only walk half the course while taking a medal that said you did the whole thing. I suspect a lot of people just want the free souvenir. Just my opinion though.

I’m a rather “serious” runner and I have no problem with people running less than a 5k or taking a medal at the end. It’s an untimed FUN run and God knows we all pay enough for our Disney Cruises to justify taking a medal at the end! OP do the race however you want. You’re on vacay.

Just checking, but in reality aren’t all runs and races, timed or not, fun runs? Unless you are running from a bear or something there is nothing saying humans have to run these days.

Fun run is an official term in serious running circles. The alternative is timed runs with chips and standings.

Fun run is an official term in serious running circles. The alternative is timed runs with chips and standings.

Thanks for Man-splaning, but I have plenty of awards for different races, including a few Disney races, so I do know the difference. The point is even if it is a timed race there is nothing in today’s society that mandates you have to do the event. So therefore all races are optional and a recreation, which means it is for fun.

Unless you are running from a bear or something there is nothing saying humans have to run these days.

Now that’s funny.

Thanks for Man-splaning

Wait. Your username has Scott in it. The other person’s username sounds female. (And your profiles say that, too)

Are we switching up what mansplaining is now?

You will be stunned as you continue on the dis at what people do and don’t know. Someday you will see that Cadien not being sure that you knew what a fun run is is totally ok and justified and could easily have been useful information.

Now that’s funny.

Wait. Your username has Scott in it. The other person’s username sounds female. (And your profiles say that, too)

Are we switching up what mansplaining is now?

You will be stunned as you continue on the dis at what people do and don’t know. Someday you will see that Cadien not being sure that you knew what a fun run is is totally ok and justified and could easily have been useful information.

I acknowledge that responses can be helpful. This is still a cruise message board for a cartoon mouse, occasionally we can have fun right?

While I didn’t indicate that I personally did or did not know what a fun run was, I think was pretty clear my response had no serious information. Ironic that females can also over-explain things to males so yes that comment was not meant to be taken seriously.

I feel dutifully chastised and will refrain from any jokulaity moving forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter