How Not To Do Disney With A One Year Old - Update 4/17

I JUST realized you were doing a TR! I am so sorry, but am here now and ready to read along popcorn::

Alex is too precious sleeping in the stroller. I am sorry he was so sick. I also am sorry that you had to experience the "mom gets to do it all" bit. I love my dh and he has supported me well enough over the years... but lets face it. if someone misses out on something..has to sacrifice something...etc. It is me... and I am pretty sure that this is the case for many of us moms. :sad2::sad2:

Can't wait to read more!!!

So sorry your little guy got sick. It sounds like you did the best you could though. And yes, all of us mommies have meltdowns every now and again!

I JUST realized you were doing a TR! I am so sorry, but am here now and ready to read along popcorn::

Alex is too precious sleeping in the stroller. I am sorry he was so sick. I also am sorry that you had to experience the "mom gets to do it all" bit. I love my dh and he has supported me well enough over the years... but lets face it. if someone misses out on something..has to sacrifice something...etc. It is me... and I am pretty sure that this is the case for many of us moms. :sad2::sad2:

Can't wait to read more!!!

Aww it's ok :goodvibes

Thank you :) I always loved when he fell asleep in it. And yeah, my DH is great too but like you said, when it comes down to it, us moms are the ones that wind up sacrificing for taking care of our families. It's ok though, DHS isn't my favorite park :thumbsup2

So sorry your little guy got sick. It sounds like you did the best you could though. And yes, all of us mommies have meltdowns every now and again!

Thanks. It was pretty rough, as you can see but we did try to salvage the day as good as possible. Ugh yeah sometimes the meltdown is unavoidable. I just hate having them in the middle of Disney. Everyone looks at you with a slanted eye like "how could she be having a bad time here!?!?" :laughing:

It's a Britax B-Agile. :goodvibes
Thank you! I just had to show my sister who is now looking into getting one for our next trip!!

Very sorry to read about Alex being so sick on your first day! He's such a cutie, though!!! My sister can attest to the fact that mom's usually get the short end of the stick when it comes to these things, so I try to help her out as much as I can when we travel together. :thumbsup2

I'm so sorry your baby boy was sick. That had to be so stressful for you. I hope your next trip is fabulous and totally makes up for it.

Thank you! I just had to show my sister who is now looking into getting one for our next trip!!

Very sorry to read about Alex being so sick on your first day! He's such a cutie, though!!! My sister can attest to the fact that mom's usually get the short end of the stick when it comes to these things, so I try to help her out as much as I can when we travel together. :thumbsup2

No problem! I hope it works out as great for her as it did for us if she gets one.

Thank you :goodvibes It's great that your sister has you along whenever y'all do travel together to help! DH did his best when he wasn't riding a ride :rolleyes: and my BFF is so not a baby person so it was really up to me. It's ok though. I don't think anyone becomes a Mom because it's easy

I'm so sorry your baby boy was sick. That had to be so stressful for you. I hope your next trip is fabulous and totally makes up for it.

Thank you. It really was. I think the hardest part was the fact that he couldn't talk to me and tell me what was wrong. Lesson learned though. Never travel far away from home when your LO can't walk or talk. And thank you, I really do hope so too.

Day 4 - MK Day - aka, do we really want to do this again?

Well, the day started off with a smiling, silly haired baby

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

Today was MK day. I was cautiously optimistic about how Alex woke up that morning with how the day might go. We got dressed and headed over to MK for our CP Breakfast ADR.

Here we are on the Monorail, still seeming to be doing ok
IMG_0141.jpg

We got into the park and had our picture taken in front of the castle PP style but I don't have that picture because I didn't buy the PP CD. So we get to CP and our table was ready relatively fast. We get inside, seated, placed our drink orders and some of the characters started to come around. First up, Tigger

IMG_0142.jpg

Alex wanted to hide
IMG_0143.jpg

AFter he left :laughing:
IMG_0144.jpg

Mommy and Alex
IMG_0145.jpg

He started eating his fruit and all was still ok
IMG_0146.jpg

I don't remember what we all had but I'm not a big breakfast person so I don't see all the hype behind the CP

Once we were done eating Pooh came by
IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Then Piglet. He seemed to like him the best
IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

And now we're freaking out
IMG_0153.jpg

And then there was Eeyore
IMG_0154.jpg

Becca LOVES Eeyore
IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

After we saw all the characters we headed out. I wasn't too impressed with the character interaction but Alex wasn't all smiles so I guess he scared them off. Once we left we decided to try for a picture in front of the castle with our camera but Alex just wasn't having it
IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

I think after this we went and rode Peter Pan and IASW. He was all wide eyed for both. Then he fell asleep in his stroller so we walked around the shops on Main Street for a bit. Finally, we had to wake him up for his hair cut. He did really well and sat still for the whole thing while a little boy next to him screamed and tried to get out of his seat. I was a proud mama!
IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

Here's a video of the hair cut for your viewing pleasure
http://youtu.be/32kP-XXI1uA

Continued in next post

Day 4 continued

After his hair cut I *think* we went and road Pooh. He really seemed to enjoy this ride. Sorry, no pictures! After that we went and ate lunch at the QS in Tomorrowland (can't remember the name off the top of my head). Alex started to get crabby at this point. He did eat some of his fruit but I had to force feed him some gatorade to keep him hydrated. We decided to take a break after lunch.

IMG_0179.jpg

I think we decided not to go back to the park because we were going to be coming back on Friday (or so we thought at the time). We ate dinner at the POFQ food court. He seemed happy but still out of sorts.

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

After that Becca went home and we spent the rest of the evening in our room with our sick baby.

Up next - Tuesday, Day 5 - A GREAT day that ended with a bang! And not a good bang. :sad2:

Just read your TR to this point and I have to say, I am so sorry that things turned out poorly!

We just returned from a week-long trip to Barcelona in which our almost-two-year-old daughter was sick with a high fever and not sleeping for the last half of the trip! It was so worrying, first of all, and also so disappointing. I can completely identify with your disappointment on this trip.

I'm happy for you that there were some good moments, like the haircut, that you will remember with happiness!

Well, you made it to MK... that is something and Alex got a cute little hair cut. (was this his first?) I am sorry he still wasn't up to a full day. So you had dinner at the food court at POFQ. Was it good?

Just read your TR to this point and I have to say, I am so sorry that things turned out poorly!

We just returned from a week-long trip to Barcelona in which our almost-two-year-old daughter was sick with a high fever and not sleeping for the last half of the trip! It was so worrying, first of all, and also so disappointing. I can completely identify with your disappointment on this trip.

I'm happy for you that there were some good moments, like the haircut, that you will remember with happiness!

Thanks! That really stinks that your DD got sick on your Barcelona trip. It really is worrying and disappointing at the same time. And then you feel all guilty for being disappointed that the stupid illness is ruining your trip. Ugh! I'm sorry that you had to experience it too on vacation. It is no fun at all!

Yeah there definitely were a few choice moments that I'll look back on with fondness and I'm grateful for that!:goodvibes

Well, you made it to MK... that is something and Alex got a cute little hair cut. (was this his first?) I am sorry he still wasn't up to a full day. So you had dinner at the food court at POFQ. Was it good?

Yes it was his first hair cut. Thanks! I was sorry he still wasn't up to a full day either but I wouldn't have been if I was sick like that too. It's a good thing he didn't have to walk anywhere. The POFQ Food court......it was ok going down. Not so good later on in the evening if you catch my drift. :sick:

I'm so glad his haircut went so well and he was such a good boy!!

I like Piglet too! Was that a cupcake on your table in one of the pics??

I'm glad y'all had a good morning/afternoon at MK at least!

The counter service in Tomorrowland is Cosmic Ray's. Did y'all eat inside? If so, what did Alex think of Sonny Eclipse? LOL

So sorry your lo was sick. When we went in 2010 for my sons 3rd birthday he actually got really sick the day before his 3rd bday and was so sick on his bday we had to go to the Centra Care clinic..his fever was almost 105 and he was throwing up, turns out he had an extreme case of strep throat. The long drive home to PA the next day was even worse!
I feel your pain!

I am glad you made it to MK. Shame Alex not that into characters, but at least he did not freak out :goodvibes

He looks adorable as usual. He was such a great boy for the haircut.

I am glad you got on a few rides at least.

Doesnt't sounds like a good night is coming up :hug:

I'm so glad his haircut went so well and he was such a good boy!!

I like Piglet too! Was that a cupcake on your table in one of the pics??

I'm glad y'all had a good morning/afternoon at MK at least!

The counter service in Tomorrowland is Cosmic Ray's. Did y'all eat inside? If so, what did Alex think of Sonny Eclipse? LOL

Thanks, I'm glad that went well too.

Yeah it was. I put it was Alex's birthday on all of our ADR's. I was surprised they brought him a cup cake at breakfast lol

Thanks!

Oh he didn't really care about him. He wasn't feeling good at that point and was getting really angry at me for force feeding him gatorade. :rolleyes:

I just read your trip report so far, I am so sorry your baby was sick.

Welcome! Thanks. It really sucked.

So sorry your lo was sick. When we went in 2010 for my sons 3rd birthday he actually got really sick the day before his 3rd bday and was so sick on his bday we had to go to the Centra Care clinic..his fever was almost 105 and he was throwing up, turns out he had an extreme case of strep throat. The long drive home to PA the next day was even worse!
I feel your pain!

Thanks. Oh my that is horrible!!! So sorry you had a similar experience. I actually forgot to bring Alex's thermometer so I don't know if he had an actual fever ever. By the time we got a thermometer for him he was back to normal temp. And driving back to PA from Orlando with a sick kid!? Ick!!!

I am glad you made it to MK. Shame Alex not that into characters, but at least he did not freak out :goodvibes

He looks adorable as usual. He was such a great boy for the haircut.

I am glad you got on a few rides at least.

Doesnt't sounds like a good night is coming up :hug:

yeah I was glad he wasn't screaming. Probably be different next time we go since he's shy like me now.

Thanks!

Yeah. not exactly the rides I wanted to ride except PP but at least we got a few in.

No not so much :sad2:

My son's first trip to WDW was when he was 17 months old. I refer to that trip as the $4,000 first hair cut because that seemed to be the only thing that went right that vacation! So you're not alone. Trip #2 went much better :wizard:

My son's first trip to WDW was when he was 17 months old. I refer to that trip as the $4,000 first hair cut because that seemed to be the only thing that went right that vacation! So you're not alone. Trip #2 went much better :wizard:

Ugh!! That totally sucks that y'all had a bad first trip with your DS too. It does make me feel better that I'm not alone though. And sooooooo glad to hear trip #2 went much better! How old was he for the 2nd trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter