How much $$ to give for confirmation???

Mom3girls

DIS Veteran
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has been to a confirmation recently and can tell me how much $$ to give as a gift. I live in South Jersey if that makes a difference and it's my next door neighbor's daughter that we have known for 10 years and we are pretty close with them. TIA

I haven't been to a confirmation recently, but I think 50$ would be more than enough! In my family we also still give bonds, so that is an option as well.

I also am in the area and the last one I think I gave $50 but that is because I knew the kid for a long time...
I think anything would be greatly appreciated, maybe with a really nice card or a small religious item.

Hope this helps :):hug:

The party is being held at their home...inside because of the nor easter coming through today:(

I am in the camp that when someone takes a mature statement of faith, they don't get paid for it and if they do receive cash, the money is donated to a worthy cause or to the church. A religious necklace or pin is acceptable, or making a donation in the person's name would also be a good idea. I never could quite grasp why someone should get money for committing to their faith.

I think $50 is too much, I'd give that for a high school graduation, to a really close family member.

I would give $20. I would think the parents would be giving the religious items.

It is on par with a high school graduation, so use that as your guideline. Here that would be $75-$100. (I am in CT, just outside NYC.) But give whatever you are comfortable giving.

I sent my nephew 50. we live out of state and I was not able to make it.

I feel that $50 would be an appropriate amount.

My aunt gave me a beautiful gold cross pendant with amethyst, garnet, topaz, and peridot stones in it for my Communion... maybe it was my Confirmation, but either way, it was beautiful.

I am in the camp that when someone takes a mature statement of faith, they don't get paid for it and if they do receive cash, the money is donated to a worthy cause or to the church. A religious necklace or pin is acceptable, or making a donation in the person's name would also be a good idea. I never could quite grasp why someone should get money for committing to their faith.

I'm guessing you're not Catholic (or Jewish). Catholics give money for most of the sacraments (including marriage, of course). It's the norm in our 2000 year old religion.

Personally, I don't put Confirmation in the same category as a graduation, and yes, I am a Catholic and have also taught the Confirmation class for quite a few years. IMO, being confirmed doesn't really require the same amount of work that graduating does. It should, but it doesn't, that's just the way it is.

That being said, yes, I would give a gift. I don't think I'd give $50 for a neighbor's child, unless we were very, very good friends. I'm thinking more along the lines of $25, but that's just me.

OP, give what you feel comfortable giving. No more and no less. If the newly confirmed really learned anything during their preparation, they will be appreciative of any gift you give.

It is on par with a high school graduation, so use that as your guideline. Here that would be $75-$100. (I am in CT, just outside NYC.) But give whatever you are comfortable giving.

I would not put confirmation on par with graduation. They aren't even close IMO.

As for the gift, for a close family friend I'd give between $35-50.

I'm guessing you're not Catholic (or Jewish). Catholics give money for most of the sacraments (including marriage, of course). It's the norm in our 2000 year old religion.

I was raised Catholic and attended a Catholic school when I was younger. Religion has nothing to do with the money gift. I can understand a wedding whether one is religious or not (money to start a new life together, honeymoon, etc..), but I would not give money for a confirmation gift.

I don't want to get into a religious battle because that's not allowed here. The OP asked for an opinion on a gift and I gave mine.

Of course confirmation is not on par with graduation, but the monetary gift for both is generally about the same. Here, anyway.

Catholic here.

Usually confirmation celebrations are only attended by close friends and family.

It's just a celebration to show how proud everyone is of the boys accomplishment.

Presence and a card are fine, most like to stick a little scratch in the card.

$20 is fine, anywhere from there to $50 would be more than enough.

Religion has nothing to do with the money gift. I can understand a wedding whether one is religious or not (money to start a new life together, honeymoon, etc..), but I would not give money for a confirmation gift.

Well, all religions have customs. One is always free to do what they want, regardless of the norm. However, if someone is asking for advice regarding what is a typical gift for a gift giving situation, it is more helpful to let them know what is customary, which, in this case, is $25 - $50 here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter