How much should I give?

Tikitoi

DIS Veteran
We need a ride (to/from) the airport. Airport is 1.5 hours away and gas in this area is $2.35/gallon. He (cousin) has a Honda Pilot.

Just not crazy about leaving my car at the airport for 12 days...

I'd offer him $50 for his gas and trouble, which by the way, nobody I know would actually accept and a close friend or family member might even be a little miffed that I offered.

Last edited:
I'd offer him $50 for his gas and trouble, which by the way, nobody I know would actually accept and a close friend or family member might even be a little miffed that I offered.

Am I the only one who absolutely hates this stupid game? Mrs. Homie and her mother play it every week. Mother-in-law will need something and if we're going to Walmart, can we pick one up for her please? Then we bring it to her, she tries to pay us for it, Mrs. Homie refuses to accept the money, MIL insists that she take it, and on and on it goes. It's ridiculous. If someone offers you money, take it or decline it, but either way, nobody wins when you play this take-it-don't-take-it game.

I would never, in a million years, ask someone to drive 6 hours round trip unless I was going to compensate them fairly. I just re-read the OP, didn't realize it was both ways, $400.

We need a ride (to/from) the airport. Airport is 1.5 hours away and gas in this area is $2.35/gallon. He (cousin) has a Honda Pilot.

Just not crazy about leaving my car at the airport for 12 days...

How much would it cost to park at the airport for 12 days?

I would offer half that amount.

Am I the only one who absolutely hates this stupid game? Mrs. Homie and her mother play it every week. Mother-in-law will need something and if we're going to Walmart, can we pick one up for her please? Then we bring it to her, she tries to pay us for it, Mrs. Homie refuses to accept the money, MIL insists that she take it, and on and on it goes. It's ridiculous. If someone offers you money, take it or decline it, but either way, nobody wins when you play this take-it-don't-take-it game.
I hear you. We do TONS of stuff for friends & family, even for strangers for that matter. Never for a minute expect to get paid and I have no qualms whatsoever asking for help and not offering money. The only exception would be if I'm having somebody actually purchase an item for me (beyond a couple of bucks, max.), of course I'm going to pay for it. But I wouldn't tack on anything extra for the favour.

And if, like a pp above described, I'd be expected to pay a nephew or MY OWN SON $50 for a quick ride, I'd be taking a cab instead.

I'd suck it up and pay to park my car for 12 days. I couldn't ask someone to drive 3 hours round trip just to drop me off at the airport.

Or (I've come close to doing this before), I'd rent a car in my hometown and return it at the airport. Then rent another one when I get home. One-way rentals can be expensive, but cheaper than this favor is owed IMHO

I would never, in a million years, ask someone to drive 6 hours round trip unless I was going to compensate them fairly. I just re-read the OP, didn't realize it was both ways, $400.
We do lots of things for other people and have lots of other people we can ask for help. Not an issue in my world.

I hear you. We do TONS of stuff for friends & family, even for strangers for that matter. Never for a minute expect to get paid and I have no qualms whatsoever asking for help and not offering money. The only exception would be if I'm having somebody actually purchase an item for me (beyond a couple of bucks, max.), of course I'm going to pay for it. But I wouldn't tack on anything extra for the favour.

And if, like a pp above described, I'd be expected to pay a nephew or MY OWN SON $50 for a quick ride, I'd be taking a cab instead.
It's not an expectation from my son, my DH insists on paying him what it would cost to take a cab. He's a poor college student, works two jobs every summer, plus every school break, and starting next year, will be paying his own tuition, room and board.

He's never had an allowance, pays everything himself.

I'm all for helping a buddy out, but I'm not asking someone to give up 6 hours of their time, and wear and tear on their vehicle, because I don't want to park at the airport for 12 days, unless I'm going to make it worth their while. This isn't an emergency situation.

How much will uber cost? The airport is a hour and a half away.

an Uber to the airport costs me $45 each way and that's only a 30 minute drive. I'm not even sure you can get an Uber to drive you 1.5 hours, and if you can I can't imagine what it would cost.

For me its not just about being willing to help out -- my friends and I do stuff to help each other out with no question all the time -- but asking someone to take THREE HOURS out of their day, JUST so that I don't have to leave my car parked at an airport is a big ask, in my world. Parking your car at an airport for 12 days isn't a big deal, I wouldn't ask someone to give up three hours of their time -- twice -- just to avoid that.

It's not an expectation from my son, my DH insists on paying him what it would cost to take a cab. He's a poor college student, works two jobs every summer, plus every school break, and starting next year, will be paying his own tuition, room and board.

He's never had an allowance, pays everything himself.

I'm all for helping a buddy out, but I'm not asking someone to give up 6 hours of their time, and wear and tear on their vehicle, because I don't want to park at the airport for 12 days, unless I'm going to make it worth their while. This isn't an emergency situation.
:confused3 Whatever, that's fine. Just not anything I would do. Doesn't mean you have to defend or alter your habits in any way.

Found out it's $11/day for airport parking. And my cousin is a college student who is on break and would not have a problem doing this for me. Thanks for the ideas.

Found out it's $11/day for airport parking. And my cousin is a college student who is on break and would not have a problem doing this for me. Thanks for the ideas.
Unless it is a tiny airport, they more than likely have off-airport parking for half that amount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter