How much should I give?

I travel quite a bit for work. A few days before a trip I send out an email to my assorted nieces and nephews asking if anyone wants to bring me to the airport and pick me up after the trip. My standard rate is about 75% of what it would cost me to park in the long term lot. On pick up day, I just want them to drop my car off in short term parking and I drive it home myself.

Most trips, someone takes me up on it. Its nice "extra" money for kids in their early 20's.

I travel quite a bit for work. A few days before a trip I send out an email to my assorted nieces and nephews asking if anyone wants to bring me to the airport and pick me up after the trip. My standard rate is about 75% of what it would cost me to park in the long term lot. On pick up day, I just want them to drop my car off in short term parking and I drive it home myself.

Most trips, someone takes me up on it. Its nice "extra" money for kids in their early 20's.
What changes the equation for me is the 90 minute one way trip.

What are your flight times? I wouldn't ask someone else if I had an early morning flight out or a late night flight home, especially if they have a 90 minute drive to the airport. We always park in the regular long term parking and it's $10/day or $50/week at our airport. We can get there when we want, so no relying on others to be on time picking us up, and when we get in we don't have to wait around for someone or make someone do laps around the airport waiting for us. Way more convenient and probably about the same price, if you intend on paying someone to drive you.

Family charges each other for favors?? In my family we just pay the gas and toll. I've driven my grandma to Newark airport which is 1.5 hours away, for free. Never would I ask her for money and never would I take a penny from her. Even when I was dead broke.

With that said, I park at the airport. I wouldn't ask anyone to go out of their way if it's not necessary. When I was younger and didn't know about airport parking someone would drop me off for free (family) but the airport is a 20 minute drive.

Nobody mentioned "charging" anything.

The OP was asking how much to OFFER, not to CHARGE.

And if it were me, I wouldn't take a 3 hour round trip favor from a college kid without paying him for his time. If he wouldn't take the money, I would take a cab.

Last edited:

How do they get home after dropping your care off in the lot?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter