How much is too much? 2 weeks, 6 resorts?

cinnaminny

DIS Veteran
My husband and I were chatting this morning about the 30 in 30 video that I saw this week. I know this was a big promotion and they probably didn't pay anything for any of those rooms, but it worked, because it got me thinking lol

I started thinking about all the resorts I would like to see and really, I would like to see them all. Obviously that would be hard to do, but we do both think it might be fun to stay at a big variety of resorts just to see how we like them. Now of course in our novice minds that sounds easy and fun. Is it really easy and fun in real life? Not sure.

Is 6 resorts in 2 weeks too much? We would have a rental car also (if that adds or takes away from your opinion) Any experience with split stays?

Depends on your feeling about packing/unpacking. We just did 3 weeks in Italy, 6 cities with friends. While doing a split stay is much easier when you aren't travelling several hours between cities, we spent that travelling time (trains - so we weren't driving) as our downtime just chatting as we would have done if we'd been in one place. So the travelling itself wasn't too much of an annoyance. We never bothered to really unpack because we weren't more than 3 days in any one place and that DID get super annoying. Having to constantly haul open one suitcase only to discover that it was the other one that had what I was looking for. Having to take out a few things like toiletries each time which meant you did have to pack it all up again and make sure you didn't leave anything (at one point we thought we did but it turned out that DH gave it to our friends and he put it into their suitcase). Never really able to move the suitcases out of the way like I could if I'd actually unpacked. Hated that part. And we were packing reasonably light for the two of us because of needing to be able to haul luggage on the trains. Six places in two weeks means no more than about 2 nights in each place.

We've decided to try all of the Deluxe hotels and see if what we think are our favourites really are. But we've decided to do it by buying APs and going for several shorter stays (5 days) over the next couple of years and committing to trying hotels we wouldn't normally on each trip until we've done them all.

EDIT: I'd have no problem with staying at WDW for 2 weeks. We've previously done 1 week followed by a short cruise, followed by another 5 days and although we were leisurely in our touring with downtime at the resort(s), we found no lack of things to do and see. It's just the constant moving that I'd have a problem with.

Last edited:

My husband and I were chatting this morning about the 30 in 30 video that I saw this week. I know this was a big promotion and they probably didn't pay anything for any of those rooms, but it worked, because it got me thinking lol

I started thinking about all the resorts I would like to see and really, I would like to see them all. Obviously that would be hard to do, but we do both think it might be fun to stay at a big variety of resorts just to see how we like them. Now of course in our novice minds that sounds easy and fun. Is it really easy and fun in real life? Not sure.

Is 6 resorts in 2 weeks too much? We would have a rental car also (if that adds or takes away from your opinion) Any experience with split stays?

I love doing 2 week trips in Disney, and we frequently do split stays. We usually do 2 resorts - it's like 2 vacations in one! Last June we did 3, but one was just for one night in the middle so we left most of our things in the car for that night. 3 resorts would be my max.

We're pretty efficient when it comes to packing up and unpacking so that's not a big deal, but the time spent waiting on bell services, and loading up and then not having a room for most of the day can be a pain. No way would I want to do that more than one or two times at most.

We used to do 4 night/3 night resort splits a lot and 3 nights is really the minimum I would suggest staying at a resort. That gives you two full days to enjoy the amenities - restaurants, pools, activities, etc. So, in your case, I wouldn't do more than 3 or 4 resorts.

I would never move 6 times in one stay. Did one mover over 6 days which was fine. How much time will you wast moving around? I don't think I could find a reason to stay in 6 different resorts over several years and many trips.

We like "taking care of business" at the beginning with checking in and unpacking, and not have to worry about stuff like that again until its time to leave. Helps us to fully decompress. We also find we appreciate and enjoy the resort more, returning to the same place every day. We just spent 10 days at CSR, and had the chance to try many different food items, drinks, bars, pools, etc.

That said, if you visit frequently and don't mind taking the time away from the parks to pack/unpack and move your bags, it would be fun to experience the different resorts in one trip. But you'd just be getting a taste of them, and not fully experiencing them. It would also complicate ADRs, because I don't believe you can do 180+10 with split stays.

I like split stays a lot, but my preference is 3 nights minimum in each resort, any less and we feel like we just weren't able to enjoy the resort. I also personally couldn't spend 2 weeks at WDW, 7 nights is about my max, but that's me, others quite enjoy the longer trips.

I think that is a little too much. I did two resorts in a week stay and really enjoyed it. If you did something like that it would be four resorts. I think 6 is just moving too many times. You are basically homeless the day you are switching hotels and after a while it can get stressful. I think doing no more than four, three would probably be better though. You can enjoy your time at each resort, settle in and enjoy what is nearby.

I'm not a big fan of moving - my concentration is on the parks. So my big question for you would be how you spend your time. If this is a mostly resort stay and your primary focus is seeing the resorts, moving every couple of days may work for you.

We just did a 10 night trip with a split stay and a 3 night cruise in the middle. I personally would not do more than 2-3 resorts in 2 weeks. You want to be able to enjoy the resort and not be constantly unpacking/packing.

We have 4 resorts planned for a 9 night trip coming up in April and can’t wait! We want to alternate park and resort days so it works for us. We are active and easy going people so the thought of packing and unpacking doesn’t bother us. Disney also does a great job of making it an easy transition minus the homeless part while you wait for a room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter