How much do you tip a shampoo girl?

For the places that charge for the drink... do they simply add it to your bill? The salon I go to also offers me something to drink but I typically have bottled water with me. Somedays I would prefer something else, but I would like to know upfront if there is a charge.

Great thread!

I'm a salon owner and I don't expect tips. If they give them to me, that's ok :flower: if not that's ok too! I don't have shampoo girls, so I can't help you there. Once in awhile when one of us is running a couple of minutes behind, we help each other out with shampooing our client for us. But they don't expect a tip for helping out the stylist.

What if the Stylist does it from her own home (Cut/Color/Highlights)?
Do you tip? And if so, how much? She doesn't have the same overhead cost as a Salon.

I tip my barber $2.00. No matter what it costs. Of course a barber is pretty cheap compared to a stylist.

In the fancy salons I have been in the "Assistant" or "shampoo person" is often a recent grad or student of cosmotolgy. They work here for training,in additon to shampooing they often watch a cut by a senior stylist, sometimes throwing in a hand with color or styling. I tip them 3-5 dollars and the actual stylist 15-10%. Teh salon I go to now has not had an assistant when I have been in. I pay $30 a cut + $60 for all over color every other time, roots $45 opposite time of all over cover. I go to an Aveda salon, you get a drink(water, tea or coffee), a hand massage, scalp massage and make up touch up included.

I pay $30 a cut + $60 for all over color every other time, roots $45 opposite time of all over cover. I go to an Aveda salon, you get a drink(water, tea or coffee), a hand massage, scalp massage and make up touch up included.

I go to an Aveda salon as well, so I don't pay for the drink. Usually I have a tea and then a water. My brow artist always has the tea brought out as soon as she sees me because she know how much I love it. Of course, now they sell the tea bags and tea leaves in the store, and I have purchased them for home use. They are no fools with the upsell :blush:

I am pleased to see you mention the hand massage. Inevitablely, I will be waiting, and one of the other staff comes up and offers me a hand message. I have accepted a couple of times, and I have never tipped that person (because really, at this point, it's getting ridiculous!), and I have never been charged, and I always wondered what the deal is. The person providing the hand massage is usually someone manning the front desk. Really, it's also a ploy for the upsell - they usually use their newest product line. But while I appreciate it, but the whole thing is a little odd.

Also, I wish my Aveda salon had your Aveda salon's prices!! :rolleyes:

At the salons I've been to, the owner does not accept tips. As for the stylist, I tip 20% and the shampoo person/assistant/blow dryer gets $5 (If they just shampoo, I would probably give $2). I once got a process that cost $600 (back in the day when we were DINKs, LOL), done mostly by the assistant who spent about 7 hours working on me so she got the whole tip. I tell ya, that was one tip that was tough to fork over!

My salon offers wine, no charge. I love that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter