How much do you know about your local professional soccer team?

I personally only know the team is called the Union and have a player named Bedoya whose jersey I just purchased for my son.

We are, however, heading to a game next week for my sons birthday. I only ever watch soccer when my kids are playing, so it’s going to be an experience for me. (I prefer American football). My DH watches though, and my son is turning into all soccer all the time, so I’m sure I’m bound to learn more. (I got a lesson on the champions league yesterday…)

How much do you know about your local professional soccer team? This is not a question on whether you like the sport or not. This is about how aware are you about your local team in general.
That's a good question. I never thought of it! How much DO I know about them?? Or even what sorts of things they may be up to, or the nefarious deeds they may be planning. Now you've got me worried.

I personally only know the team is called the Union and have a player named Bedoya whose jersey I just purchased for my son.

We are, however, heading to a game next week for my sons birthday. I only ever watch soccer when my kids are playing, so it’s going to be an experience for me. (I prefer American football). My DH watches though, and my son is turning into all soccer all the time, so I’m sure I’m bound to learn more. (I got a lesson on the champions league yesterday…)
The Union are a great team and are currently in 1st place in MLS. Bedoya is a fan favorite since he is a former USMNT player. He also started the IBWWW chant for his club when he played for Nantes in France’s Ligue 1.
As far as champions league, there is one for every confederation. Most Americans follow the UEFA champions league (Europe) because it’s the best in the world. However, Concacaf (the USA’s region) also has one. For our region, places are awarded to those who win MLS Cup, the Supporters’ Shield, the US Open Cup, and the opposite Conference winner of who did not win any of the other three awards. Next year, the Leagues Cup returns and will pit American teams directly against Liga MX (Mexico) teams.

When you go next week, I think you’ll become more of a fan. MLS is uniquely American (with 3 Canadian teams) and our players in general play with a more physical athletic style than what some perceive as boring Euro ball.
The Union are in great form (and it pains me to say that as a NYCFC fan). To get the most out of the upcoming game consider watching their game tonight on tv at 8pm. I’ll have details on the matches tonight on my MLS thread if your curious. Understanding formations will probably help you the most to understanding the pro level. The atmosphere alone should also make it enjoyable for you.

Last edited:

So were all the other leagues......until they weren't
Previous leagues in the past were unorganized until around 1996. Prior to that, unregulated spending caused many clubs to fold. When Garber became commissioner of MLS, he fixed the league. USL’s system is associated with MLS which makes it almost impossible for teams to go bankrupt if they have stable rich ownership.

How long has your son been playing? My kids turned me into a soccer fan, but it took a number of years for it to really "stick".

Last edited:
I had to look at the link to see if there was even one near me. There is one in Atlanta, which is about a hour to hour 1/2 away. One somewhere in south Georgia but since I'm in north Ga. I'm going to assume that's not close. I'm pretty sure UGA has one since they built a rink at our Civic Center and tacked on taxes for it (don't get me started). That's what I know.

Previous leagues in the past were unorganized until around 1996. Prior to that, unregulated spending caused many clubs to fold. When Garber became commissioner of MLS, he fixed the league. USL’s system is associated with MLS which makes it almost impossible for teams to go bankrupt if they have stable rich ownership.
The teams were very profitable. The LEAGUES are what went bankrupt.

How long has your son been playing? My kids turned me into a soccer fan, but it took a number of years for it to really "stick".
He’s been playing since he was 5, he’s now 13, but it’s only been the last few years that he’s been serious and switched to club from rec. The games are a lot better now that he’s older and it’s club level.

I had to Google before answering, because I didn’t know if we had one. Surprise - we do! I am not interested in sports, and don’t follow any teams of any kind. Just not my thing.

He’s been playing since he was 5, he’s now 13, but it’s only been the last few years that he’s been serious and switched to club from rec. The games are a lot better now that he’s older and it’s club level.
Good for him! We've had a lot of adventures with our kids. Good teams, bad teams, multiple states, a couple of international trips, some state titles, playing at Disney, and a total respect for the game. I will say it's ruined American Football for me. I used to be a big fan and now it moves too slow for me. lol

Founding Member (like first few hundred) Season Ticket Holders ⚽

This has hung in foyer every year, from season open to season close.

289437056_765819061431695_3545839721942772548_n.jpg

How much do you know about your local professional soccer team? This is not a question on whether you like the sport or not. This is about how aware are you about your local team in general.
My friend is married to one of my local teams players, he’s a good looking nice guy from Brazil. He plays for another team now. Until she married him I honestly didn’t even know we had a soccer team.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter