How much did you make the first year you worked?

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
Got my annual Social Security Statement in the mail and it lists what you have earned every year.

My first working year was 1974 and I made $186. I was 16-17 that year and worked as a Department Store Security Guard.
I just remember it sure seemed like a lot of money at the time. My first big purchase was a Realistic AM/FM tuner/amplifier for $35.

The first year I had a job, was the summer before my Junior year, I worked about a month for my Uncle who owned a aluminum fire place company, I must of made about 3-4 hundred dollars that year

Not sure...my first job I held more than a year, I made like 7.12/he to start then posted up and made about $10/hr. Big money for a 19 year old in the 90s

Not sure...my first job I held more than a year, I made like 7.12/he to start then posted up and made about $10/hr. Big money for a 19 year old in the 90s
A lot better than the $2.25 I was making!

Early 1970's I made $2.10 an hour. blech. My high-school boy friend was making some $1.75 an hour and was jealous that a co-worker was making $2.00 an hour. Times change.

Last edited:
Not sure for the whole year, but I was at $4.25 an hr for my first job. It was a seasonal position at a theme park. Pretty sure I might have made a couple thousand. I did a lot of overtime.

I remember that my wage was $1.53 an hour when I started working at 15. I specifically remember that because I also babysat and the going wage for that was just going up to $.75 an hour at the time (though some people still paid $.50 an hour, which had been the norm when I started babysitting at 13.)

Yes, teenagers happily babysat for 1/3 to 1/2 of minimum wage in the mid to late 70's.

First real job was teaching. 1979. Binghamton NY. $9600 annual salary. Taught summer school to supplement.

My first "real" job out of law school I made 36,000 a year...1984. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven on the $$$ train. LOL

My very first hourly paid job was corn detasseling. I made $1.25 an hour.

First W-2 job at age 16 was a counter girl at a retail bakery in late spring 1977. $2.50 per hour. I made several hundred dollars the rest of 1977.

I also worked at my father's business for cash under the table starting about age 10. Sweeping floors, cleaning the bathroom, stocking merchandise, etc.

My first real job out of college started in January 1994. My salary was $21500 but that year I made $46000 due to overtime.

1985 - $701. First "real" job was Woolworth's lunch counter the summer before I went to college. Then worked at a city office for my winter break that year, typing up dog licenses on 3 part forms. Ugh.

The first full time job I had was in 1980 and I made $1.90 an hour. The last full time job I had was in 2011 and I only made $9.00 an hour. I quit to babysit my grandkids for free.

Not much. My first non-babysitting job was the summer before I started college. I worked retail and minimum wage was $3.35/hr. I worked part-time.

My first part-time/hourly job was in college working as a Student Worker in the History Dept for $5.25/hour in 1996.

When I graduated college in 2000 and got my first teaching job, I was making $25,000/yr.

The first full time job I had was in 1980 and I made $1.90 an hour. The last full time job I had was in 2011 and I only made $9.00 an hour. I quit to babysit my grandkids for free.
Federal minimum wage in 1980 was $3.10 an hour. Was this a tipped position? Or a cash under the table job?

First job, I worked retail over Christmas and earned £7.60 per hour. Not great considering it's surprisingly hard work.

My first job was a paid work study position during college, & I made minimum wage - whatever it was back in 1991.

My first real job was a "personal clerk" in the human resources department of a community college in 1993. I made $6.54/hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter