How may points do we need?

We bought enough for a
1br during magic season for 6 nights OKW. This gives a day of rest after traveling before work. Our first add on covered Fri and Sat in a studio during magic season or as a buffer for point increases BWV. The next add on gives us the 11 month booking Window to enjoy SAB at BCV for a couple of days a year as we love a pool day there. Our last add on added to BWV. Total across the 4 is 378 points which gives a lot of vacation time and is sometimes hard to use it all unless we go for bigger rooms. In 2 weeks we have a bwv gv and 2 studios for 5 nights, blt studio for 1 night and a bwv 1br for 2 nights and still have, I think, over 150 points left from 2 years of points. Figure out your optimal trip length and room size, split it in half and add 10% for eoy trips and you'll be fine. One note though, we never followed our original point plan opting for mostly studio's unless we planned a large gathering like this year. Good luck.

Thanks so much! We are leaning towards 300 points for SSR. Not resale only because I want the kids to have more options for their families in the future.

Sounds like a plan! If you are going to buy direct I suggest buying late in your desired Use Year and see if they will give you this years' points so you can start off with double points. They should allow you to bank those points right away if you don't want to use them immediately. At least this would give you extra value for the price you will pay buying direct.

Good luck and please come back and let us know what you end up doing.

I've studied the points charts and I can't decide. Right now we go to WDW every 2 years. We either go w/ a large group ( this time 8 people) or just 4 of us.
We generally go in off times. I want to have ability to go w/ as many people as we want.
I want 300 but DH thinks it's overkill.
Money is not an issue as we will be paying cash.

I'd say, if you're going every other year, for about a week, you'll likely be in good shape at 180-200 points. That would get you a 2BR for a week every other year (360 to 400 pts), during anything but the busiest seasons. Exactly how many would depend on where you usually want to stay. More points if you want to stay for longer periods of time (and considerably more if you want to stay in GV's most trips).

You can bank extras and maybe take a longer trip some years OR take another trip with a smaller group (studio) every so often.

Thanks so much! We are leaning towards 300 points for SSR. Not resale only because I want the kids to have more options for their families in the future.

Those points won't go very far for non-DVC options. DVC is the best value for DVC options - cruising on points is expensive! Adventures by Disney is expensive! As far as trading somewhere other than Disney through RCI, that's available if you buy resale or direct. Make sure to review the point charts for these "more options."

Those points won't go very far for non-DVC options. DVC is the best value for DVC options - cruising on points is expensive! Adventures by Disney is expensive! As far as trading somewhere other than Disney through RCI, that's available if you buy resale or direct. Make sure to review the point charts for these "more options."

I agree.

RIGHT NOW, the retail options aren't worth the premium retail price. They're things I likely wouldn't use, anyway (they're not why we bought our membership)...and I'd sooner rent my points and pay cash for those things, anyway.

AT SOME POINT, that might change, and there might be more restrictions/less options for those buying resale....but like it did prior, I'd expect people who already bought re-sale would be grandfathered in to the old rule set, and only new closings would be effected by them.

Good point. I just received the points book and i'm not sure direct is worth it after all.
Plus we could get the home resort we really want.

One question my DH had: if you buy a resale contract do you only buy the years the seller has left or do they stay the same for the length resort contract?
You guys are so much help TIA

Good point. I just received the points book and i'm not sure direct is worth it after all.
Plus we could get the home resort we really want.

One question my DH had: if you buy a resale contract do you only buy the years the seller has left or do they stay the same for the length resort contract?
You guys are so much help TIA

Each resort has a specific end date. Whether you buy direct or buy resale all the contracts end at that date.

OKW is the one oddball because they offered an extension. It was originally to end in 2042 and you will find lots of contracts resale with the end date because many did not extend. However if you bought direct from Disney it would be the extended end date of 2057.

OKW non extended, BWV, BCV, VWL, VB and HHI all end in 2042.

SSR in 2054

AKV and extended OKW end in 2057

BLT and VGC in 2060.

I don't know if you saw my post on point recommendations but if you stick with your every other year visit, assuming non-peak time, you'll be swimming in extra points if you buy 300 or even 270.

Each resort has a specific end date. Whether you buy direct or buy resale all the contracts end at that date.

OKW is the one oddball because they offered an extension. It was originally to end in 2042 and you will find lots of contracts resale with the end date because many did not extend. However if you bought direct from Disney it would be the extended end date of 2057.

OKW non extended, BWV, BCV, VWL, VB and HHI all end in 2042.

SSR in 2054

AKV and extended OKW end in 2057

BLT and VGC in 2060.

I don't know if you saw my post on point recommendations but if you stick with your every other year visit, assuming non-peak time, you'll be swimming in extra points if you buy 300 or even 270.

Yes I did see your earlier post. THANKS!:goodvibes

I've studied the points charts and I can't decide. Right now we go to WDW every 2 years. We either go w/ a large group ( this time 8 people) or just 4 of us.
We generally go in off times. I want to have ability to go w/ as many people as we want.
I want 300 but DH thinks it's overkill.
Money is not an issue as we will be paying cash.
I'll take a contrarian view to many here. I would buy no more than you need. Since you're looking at EOY for a 2 BR part time and less at others, I'd buy what you need for the highest season you go with essentially no margin. Magic is 315 for a week so for a week in a 2 BR at SSR, other resorts will get you up to a max of around 465. To me, that's 150-230 points a year used EOY. It makes no sense to buy extra, you can always add on later. The yearly fees are the big long term expense anyway and DVC is famous for high fees.

I'll take a contrarian view to many here. I would buy no more than you need. Since you're looking at EOY for a 2 BR part time and less at others, I'd buy what you need for the highest season you go with essentially no margin. Magic is 315 for a week so for a week in a 2 BR at SSR, other resorts will get you up to a max of around 465. To me, that's 150-230 points a year used EOY. It makes no sense to buy extra, you can always add on later. The yearly fees are the big long term expense anyway and DVC is famous for high fees.

+1

I strongly agree with KAT4DISNEY as well and everyone else who said "look at the points chart" and to buy resale. This is a big purchase; do some research, and please keep coming back and keeping us posted so we can all continue to help.

That is very sweet your son wanted your family to take amazing Disney trips together, but don't rush into anything. I thank you and your son for his service and am sorry for his loss.

I'll add - you can always add on later - but delay for a bit.

Its common around here to see a pattern where people get really excited about Disney and decide they "need" all these points. They need to go during Food and Wine...and we've never seen the Christmas decorations. They have a list of people they want to share with as long as their arm. And they add on to get all this done in the first five or ten years of ownership.

Then after a decade - maybe more, maybe less, they've done Food and Wine - several times, and seen the Christmas decorations. Their list of people to invite has been knocked down to a few people. And while they still love Disney, they don't need enough points to travel for as many room nights as before, or book extra rooms for guests. And they sell off a contract or two.

If you are short points one year, rent some. The urge to travel as much as you have in your DVC honeymoon may decrease.

Your son was a great man.

I would let faith handle it. Go with the best deal possible. I think 300 points is more readly available. Thus giving you a better deal.

Remember every time you go, you will be saluting him and if there is an afterlife he will salute back.

My heart is with you!

Well said! Love & blessings to you and yours.

We are defiantly buying resale so THANKS SO MUCH. I still am on the fence w/ the amount points. I want to be able to come once a year some years. We are headed to WDW next month an plan to tour some DVC sites before we decide. I love Beach club but my DH thinks it looks "stuffy" there.:rolleyes: He likes the look and location of Boardwalk. But then there is the Villas @ Wilderness Lodge that we think we like! So many options and choices! This why we need to see them in person.

We are defiantly buying resale so THANKS SO MUCH. I still am on the fence w/ the amount points. I want to be able to come once a year some years. We are headed to WDW next month an plan to tour some DVC sites before we decide. I love Beach club but my DH thinks it looks "stuffy" there.:rolleyes: He likes the look and location of Boardwalk. But then there is the Villas @ Wilderness Lodge that we think we like! So many options and choices! This why we need to see them in person.

Consider buying your points as two contracts - you cannot split a contract to sell some of your points later, so split them upfront.

I'd still buy to bank and borrow around for a bit and see if you need more points. Renting more is an option. And you may discover that you want to do some cash stays at Disney hotels - some members still want to stay at the Poly once in a while.

Consider buying your points as two contracts - you cannot split a contract to sell some of your points later, so split them upfront.

I absolutely agree with the above.

That being said (and this is more for the OP than for crisi..who knows all this, I'm sure):

Remember that via resale, that likely means 2 sellers, 2 offers, 2 ROFR processes 2 sets of closing costs and POSSIBLY 2 different Use Years (aka month in which the points become available for that specific contract).

Even if there is a small premium on the smaller contracts (over one, larger, contract)...it's likely worth it (obviously depending on WHAT the premium is, exactly).

Like with a house....the list price(s) is probably negotiable. :)

You could buy 100 at a resort of your choice and 100 as a resort of his choice and with banking and borrowing have up to 300 points to use at a home resort in any given year. I don't know how many other children you have, but if it is two than you could easily pass them on rather than having one contract that can not be split....

On a personal note I want to thank you and your family for your son's service and for his ultimate sacrifice. We are so blessed to have the freedoms we do as a result of the service of these fine men and women. May God Bless you and your family!

I'd still buy around the least that looks like it'll work for your current situation, esp if you're looking at SSR because it's cheaper.

I'd still buy to bank and borrow around for a bit and see if you need more points. Renting more is an option. And you may discover that you want to do some cash stays at Disney hotels - some members still want to stay at the Poly once in a while.
As long as one realizes there is an increased cost to buying 2 smaller contracts to the tune of around $2000 on a 300 pt total. If this was the goal, my view would be to buy the min points now that would work then do the add on later IF it appeared to be needed and to consider a different home resort. Maybe start with 150-170 in this situation maybe at SSR or AKV.

After studying the map we have decided ssr is to far out. So it's down to Bcv,Boardwalk, or long shot Wilderness Lodge. I feel we have to visually see the resorts to pick, but we love the location of Bcv and boardwalk. I can see the convienice of 2 contracts, but I just don't want to do it that way.

After studying the map we have decided ssr is to far out. So it's down to Bcv,Boardwalk, or long shot Wilderness Lodge. I feel we have to visually see the resorts to pick, but we love the location of Bcv and boardwalk. I can see the convienice of 2 contracts, but I just don't want to do it that way.

Just realize you're usually paying a premium on the BCV points more or less because of the access to Stormalong Bay (their main pool/waterpark).

Just as an FYI, BCV and VWL don't have grand villas, BWV do. BWV also gives you the option of standard view villas to conserve points.

Like PP said, BCV tends to be a little more expensive than BWV because of SAB access.

Good luck with your decision! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!