how many points are you allowed to buy

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
as of right now we have 96 points to book our 2020 trip which will be at the end of JAn

our UY is Aug

we will need roughly 120 points for our trip

I would like to borrow some and buy some I don't want to keep borrowing and then at some point we don't have any points

also our trip we have some figuring to do--

first off we have AP which expire on JAn 29 2020 some wed like to use them for our next trip

in order to do so we need to bump the trip up a bit so we can get the trip in before they expire

which puts it in the week of MLK day--now I know its busy for the 3 day weekend but how does the rest of the week go--is it busy all week or till just after the holiday

we could go sat Jan 25 through Feb 1 I know feb 1 is in a higher season but one night isn't going to make that much of a difference although then we have air to worry about

if Im reading the point chart right the weekly rate at the beach club is 107 from 1-1 thru 1-31 is the right or am I missing something

my next issue is how to figure this out without losing points--at the 11 month window I will book the poly our home resort so we at least have a resort to stay at--this will run us 118 points for the weekly rate--

were hoping to change to the beach club at the 7 month booking--

the way it was explained to me earlier was that if I book the POLY which is more points since I needed to borrow points those points will be put into the 2019 (or would it be 2020 UY) and I couldn't bank them into 2020 since I already moved them once is this right

I would probably lose them since we only take one trip per year

is there anyway of doing this without losing 11 points

Im sorry for all the questions but our first trip as members was 2016 so Im still trying to figure out the best way to use the points

so any advice or tips on this would be greatly appreciated
thanks so much

It is correct that once you borrow points they will stay in the UY you borrow them back to. In your case with an August UY and a trip in Jan/Feb of 2020 that falls in your 2019 UY and you could used banked 2018 points, current 2019 points or borrow 2020 points for the stay. If you are able to secure a lower point room at 7 months the reservation would use the borrowed points first then any banked you might use and then current. Assuming you are using 2019 and borrowed 2020 points what would happen is that it would free up some of the 2019 points which you would then be able to bank into your 2020 UY. At that point they would need to be used for a stay sometime between Aug 1, 2020 and July 31, 2021. Or if you did not bank them by your banking deadline of March 31, 2020 then you'd have until July 31, 2020 to use them.

I tend to use a point calculator for point requirements rather than the charts but yes, it appears that a 7 night stay at BCV studio in Jan is 107 points.

If you look at buying the one time use points from DVC you can only do that at the 7 month window and can purchase up to 24 points.

Adding as to the possible time you want, moving up to MLK weekend. It is quite crowded during that time usually through Tuesday, but be aware it will be just as crowded in the parks the Thursday to Monday after MLK day because of another event -- the NFL Pro Bowl in Orlando on the Sunday after MLK day.

thanks so much for the helpful replies --

however now I have a few other questions that came up from the replies

where do you find the calculating chart that sounds useful--I tried doing a search but all that came up where a point chart

we were there this year from Jan 29 thrugh 2-6 it seem busier then I thought didn't realize about the game--so if we bumped it to the first week of feb would be better crowd wise--I know we couldn't use out AP well just have to take another this trip later this year--not at all a bad thing

by staying 7 nights which of course is a week how do they figure the points when some are in one season and some in another--

is it the weekly rate plus the extra for the higher season

thanks again--

There are DVC calculator apps for your phone.

You pay for the days where they fall, there is no weekly rate when you span two seasons. You just need to do the math from the charts or let an app do it for you.

as of right now we have 96 points to book our 2020 trip which will be at the end of JAn

our UY is Aug

we will need roughly 120 points for our trip

I would like to borrow some and buy some I don't want to keep borrowing and then at some point we don't have any points

also our trip we have some figuring to do--

first off we have AP which expire on JAn 29 2020 some wed like to use them for our next trip

in order to do so we need to bump the trip up a bit so we can get the trip in before they expire

which puts it in the week of MLK day--now I know its busy for the 3 day weekend but how does the rest of the week go--is it busy all week or till just after the holiday

we could go sat Jan 25 through Feb 1 I know feb 1 is in a higher season but one night isn't going to make that much of a difference although then we have air to worry about

if Im reading the point chart right the weekly rate at the beach club is 107 from 1-1 thru 1-31 is the right or am I missing something

my next issue is how to figure this out without losing points--at the 11 month window I will book the poly our home resort so we at least have a resort to stay at--this will run us 118 points for the weekly rate--

were hoping to change to the beach club at the 7 month booking--

the way it was explained to me earlier was that if I book the POLY which is more points since I needed to borrow points those points will be put into the 2019 (or would it be 2020 UY) and I couldn't bank them into 2020 since I already moved them once is this right

I would probably lose them since we only take one trip per year

is there anyway of doing this without losing 11 points

Im sorry for all the questions but our first trip as members was 2016 so Im still trying to figure out the best way to use the points

so any advice or tips on this would be greatly appreciated
thanks so much
You hav 96 points in your August 2019 UY (all originally from 2019 and none of them banked into 2019 from 2018)?

To book Poly at 11 months you will need to borrow 22 points from your 2020 UY. At 7 months, you can purchase up to 24 OTUPs to book BCV if it is available. The new reservation would first use the OTUPs, then the borrowed points and then 61 of your 2019 points. That would leave you with 35 points in your Aug. 2019 UY. Those points must be used for a reservation that ends by Aug 1, 2020 (the last night can be no later than July 31, 2020), or they must be banked into your August 2020 UY by March 31, 2020. Banking extends the expiration date for points by one year. You cannot bank points a second time. So, those 35 banked points would need to be used for a reservation that falls between the nights of Aug. 1, 2020 and July 31, 2021.

thanks so much for the helpful replies --

however now I have a few other questions that came up from the replies

where do you find the calculating chart that sounds useful--I tried doing a search but all that came up where a point chart

we were there this year from Jan 29 thrugh 2-6 it seem busier then I thought didn't realize about the game--so if we bumped it to the first week of feb would be better crowd wise--I know we couldn't use out AP well just have to take another this trip later this year--not at all a bad thing

by staying 7 nights which of course is a week how do they figure the points when some are in one season and some in another--

is it the weekly rate plus the extra for the higher season

thanks again--

The point calculator I have used for years isn't updated yet for 2020 - they are sometimes slower so I won't share that. But David's Vacation club rentals keeps theirs up to date and has been my backup. They default to show what it costs in US dollars for a rental based on the dates you select but they also have the option to show the point requirements when you click on the button >Show Point Amounts.

https://www.dvcrequest.com/cost-calculator.asp

There are a few others out there as well.

DVC just provides that weekly amount for a quick comparison but stays are always based on the night, not the week. That's why they show the weekday and weekend point requirements in the charts. So any stay that crosses seasons follows whatever the point requirement is for the nights in that season.

Adding as to the possible time you want, moving up to MLK weekend. It is quite crowded during that time usually through Tuesday, but be aware it will be just as crowded in the parks the Thursday to Monday after MLK day because of another event -- the NFL Pro Bowl in Orlando on the Sunday after MLK day.

We're thinking of MLK week as well (DS is out of school for a few days). There are rumors that Pro Bowl might be moving to Miami for 2020. Would that better the chances of a quieter week post MLK Day?

We're thinking of MLK week as well (DS is out of school for a few days). There are rumors that Pro Bowl might be moving to Miami for 2020. Would that better the chances of a quieter week post MLK Day?

If the Pro Bowl goes elsewhere, there would be a likely return to crowd levels that existed before 2017, which, for the last 9 to 10 days of Jan 2020, would likely mean heavy but quite manageable crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter