How many days to schedule for Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure?

Eeyore's Gloomy Place

Earning My Ears
My daughters want to visit Universal on our trip to WDW in August. Two of us get motion sick on WDW rides such as Mission Space, Star Tours, and sometimes Flight of Passage. Of course, it goes without saying the Teacups are a major no-go. We tolerate roller coasters well. That said, could any of you advise if two days scheduled for those parks be adequate since we will skip simulator rides? If we do two days there, would we feasibly have time to visit a Disney park later in the day/s? We are Florida Gold Annual Passholders). Thanks so much for any advice you guys can provide. :)

I think 2 would be okay, but I wouldn't count on doing Disney on the same days. There are plenty of shows and non-simulator rides, and just exploring and enjoying the parks.

I also highly recommend considering better theme parking through pharmaceuticals - if dramamine or equivalent doesn't work for you, look into the trans-derm scop anti-nausea patch. The patch was a game changer for my friend. She went from "unable to do Spiderman" to "able to do everything." (She did not do teacups though, as spinning is the worst for her and really why go to Universal to ride teacups.) It is so much nicer to be able to enjoy the day without constantly being on the edge of nausea or skipping / reducing rides.

Note you probably want to skip Men In Black if you aren't on anti-nausea drugs - there is a fair amount of spinning. That is the only one that tends to get to my friend a bit despite the patch - she rides it comfortably but not back-to-back.

I think it would be a stretch to do Disney on the same days as well, maybe spend that time in the Citywalk instead.

Even as someone who can go on anything, two to three days is plenty for me!

I also highly recommend considering better theme parking through pharmaceuticals - if dramamine or equivalent doesn't work for you, look into the trans-derm scop anti-nausea patch. The patch was a game changer for my friend.

I never knew about this patch, thank you! I'm here at Universal now preparing for our second day. It's been great so far, but I wasn't prepared for all these intense (by my pathetic standards) rides. I can't take Dramamine - it makes me feel worse than if I hadn't taken anything. I'll look into this patch for next time.

Yes, folks...the patch is life-changing. Requires a prescription, but well worth it. My wife felt like a couple of days at Universal was a complete waste, because she could hardly ride anything. Now, with the patch, she can ride everything but RRR and Hulk. We rode Velocicoaster multiple times a couple of weeks ago and she loves it...she would have been puking all over the place before the patch.

If you are skipping simulators, than 2 full days at Universal should be enough. Most of the rides are simulators, but not super intense thrill rides/coasters (I'm thinking of things like Minion Mayhem).

Have you tried Bonine for motion sickness?

Thanks so much!!! I may schedule Universal for my daughters and just go to Disney alone for a couple of days. I don't do well with anti-nausea meds and the patches are a no-go due to skin allergies. I appreciate all of you for taking the time to reply to my request. :)

Thanks so much!!! I may schedule Universal for my daughters and just go to Disney alone for a couple of days. I don't do well with anti-nausea meds and the patches are a no-go due to skin allergies. I appreciate all of you for taking the time to reply to my request. :)

If you get park-to-park passes, you can go with your daughters one day and then let them simulator it up the next day...

On day 1, you could ride/experience...

The Harry Potter train (between the parks)
Hagrid's
Hippogrif coaster
Ollivander's
Velocicoaster
Jurassic River Adventure
Dudley Do Right Falls
Bluto's Barge (this one is epic wetness so skip if Dudley already gets you too wet)
Hulk
Dr Doom's Fearfall
Cat In the Hat
Dr Suess' Trolley
One Fish 2 Fish
Horror and Makeup Show
Bourne Show
Animal Actor's Show
Shrek 4d
Minions in Non-Moving seats (where I always live)
Rip Ride Rocket
Mummy
Men in Black Alien Attack
ET
Woody's Coaster (okay, this one is for little kids)

And then you can see the other strolling shows and characters in the parks...

As you can see, lots of options, even if you don't do simulators, especially if you park-to-park...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter