How long before you borrowed points?

Borrowing more than banking. If banking, it is only a handful of points. For that matter, we added a new contract and still have been buying One Time Use Points for three use year’s running. I actually LIKE the 50% restriction since it doesn’t allow me to borrow too much.

I've been a member for 10 years and I've never borrowed. I bought more points than I knew I needed because I got a good deal and because I wanted a safety cushion against reallocations, but this means I'm always in banking mode. When I have too many banked points, I rent out some.

I have borrowed maybe 3-4 times total in the 15 years I have owned. I normally bank some every year. Like pp, I like having a cushion in case of reallocations or for other needs. I have added contracts when I get to a point where I am not banking very many points, so then it is time to add on again.

I borrow constantly. In fact, I try to stay in a constant state of borrowing. I do this because if I need to skip some years due to a health concern or family concern, I won't lose my points. Although, now that there are more reputable ways to rent out your points, it probably isn't as much of an issue anymore.

Ummm, immediately. I started with a smallish resale, added on direct and borrowed the lot for my first trip. Since they I've added more points, but I was always borrowing until "all the evil happened" ;). Since the pandemic I've been banking.

I've been in the hole with borrowing since I purchased two years ago. Probably good for us that we've never experienced 100% borrowing rights, lol.
Instead, I just keeping buying more contracts. We're at 350 and just got sent to ROFR for another 160...

planned our 'welcome home' trip, then DH decided to go big and wanted a GV - so we borrowed a few and made it happen.

We've been members for 20 years (January 2002) and yet yesterday was the first time ever that we had to borrow points. So, of course, now I'm worried-are we going to have enough points come next year. But after 2 years of cancelled trips, and having to take last minute trips to "use 'em or lose 'em" with banked points, we just decided to have one big family trip. But 20 years without borrowing! Just wondering if that's some kind of record, or do not many people borrow, so it's not any record. So, how long before you borrowed, or have you never borrowed points?
I used to try to avoid borrowing until I realized having 3 December UY contracts that the contracts ended the month after my points load on the last year of my contract. Since then I’ve borrowed with this end date in mind.

I used to try to avoid borrowing until I realized having 3 December UY contracts that the contracts ended the month after my points load on the last year of my contract. Since then I’ve borrowed with this end date in mind.
That’s a great point! Especially given that many people, including me, expect DVC to place restrictions and controls on points usage (banking, at least) at the 2042 resorts as we get closer to that last day of January, 2042.

I borrowed for my first booking. I was in borrow mode for the first 3 years, then went into a mix of banking and borrowing. My next (and probably last) DVC trip uses points banked from the previous year and points borrowed from the next year. It is going to be an awesome trip to Hawaii, then I will sell.

We bought and the deal was you forfeited the first year’s points. We bought to celebrate Mom’s 85th bIrthday.. We needed two years worth of points for that celebration. So, we borrowed right away!

We bought in 2018 with the idea of an evey other year trip. We banked and borrowed for a big celebration trip (2 HS graduations, 1 college graduation and 25th wedding anniversary) in Jun 2020 which obviously did not happen. Since then we have been in bank/use or lose AND we added on a 2nd contract! :rotfl2:

We are going to try the big celebration trip again 2024 for college graduations and 29th anniversary!

So technically we haven't borrowed, but we tried!

Since we became members in 2006, we have never borrowed points. We have 300 points and regularly bank points. I just bought a 2nd home in Orlando so not entirely sure what I will do with them.

I'm flying down in August for a week to evaluate ongoing renovation (it needs major renovation which is probably why I got it over all the other Northerners bidding). Staying one night at GFV since I arrive late afternoon and don't want to drive 25 miles on the dreaded I-4 at rush hour.

We banked our first year’s points for a family trip where we wanted 2 studios the following year (we had just enough points for 2 studios at our home resort). Well, plans changed, so the first night was booked in a higher point season, so we had to borrow something like 4 points. With the pandemic, our DL trip fell through, so we rented points for a WDW trip (about 3 months before the family trip). We thought about our points needs and opted to add-on more points while we were there, which we banked.

Last year, my wife decided we wanted enough points to book 2 studios every year instead of every other year, so we added on again. Those points were utilized plus some were banked. We now have another family vacation planned for next June and we opted for a 2 bedroom unit, which required borrowing again.

I only made it to the second use year before needing to borrow :rotfl2: I discovered that I really like Aulani.

Oops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter