How long before you borrowed points?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
We've been members for 20 years (January 2002) and yet yesterday was the first time ever that we had to borrow points. So, of course, now I'm worried-are we going to have enough points come next year. But after 2 years of cancelled trips, and having to take last minute trips to "use 'em or lose 'em" with banked points, we just decided to have one big family trip. But 20 years without borrowing! Just wondering if that's some kind of record, or do not many people borrow, so it's not any record. So, how long before you borrowed, or have you never borrowed points?

We've been members for 20 years (January 2002) and yet yesterday was the first time ever that we had to borrow points. So, of course, now I'm worried-are we going to have enough points come next year. But after 2 years of cancelled trips, and having to take last minute trips to "use 'em or lose 'em" with banked points, we just decided to have one big family trip. But 20 years without borrowing! Just wondering if that's some kind of record, or do not many people borrow, so it's not any record. So, how long before you borrowed, or have you never borrowed points?
I think that we borrowed to make our very first reservation. We bought a loaded contract resale but needed some additional points to complete the reservation. Being naive rookie owners, we committed the cardinal sin of booking across our UY...and we borrowed points to complete the second part of our stay as well!

We started borrowing immediately and kept borrowing for many years. But I don’t think we banked any points until we had owned for 20+ years!

Awwww .... it is OK ... one sip won't create an immediate addiction!

Our first borrow was before our first UY and our second was this current UY. We've otherwise lived in banking mode.
  • FIRST: We purchased SSR pre-opening in May 2004 and stayed at Vero Beach in Sept 2004. Our first UY was Oct 2004.
  • SECOND: This year ... we once again borrowed a few points to nail down an extra stay at the Grand Cal. (We've been snagging so many reservations at the Grand Cal since the resort reopened, post-Covid. I think this current pattern might tide us through the opening of the new DVC tower at the DLH. Then heaven help us ... we'll likely start borrowing like there is no tomorrow!)

We borrow and bank all the time. We have a rolling 3-year plan that combines stays at our home resorts as well as rotating stays at other resorts. Causes the amount of points we use year to year to vary (hence the banking/borrowing), but it all evens out in the end.

Hah! I borrowed points on a contract before it even closed (direct)

If you think about it you get more for your money if your always pulling ahead.

Does it count if I banked some points to the next UY, and then borrowed into my current UY?

If so, I borrowed within the first year of owning my contract. Oops. Then covid hit and I lost some points that were banked. Now I'm back in borrowing mode, but thats because of the restrictions in place. (I'm borrowing SSR points from next UY, in order to use them now for an upcoming reservation, and free up some BWV points to bank into next UY for a bigger room.)

Yes, its a mess. Yes, I need more points. No, DH isn't on board... yet.

We borrowed after owning our original points for about 12 minutes :)

Over the years, we've done more borrowing than banking, that's for sure. There never seems to be enough points for us to do what we want.

We bought back in 2000 and have never borrowed. Since our first contract we have bought three other contracts so I guess you could say I added points rather than borrowing points...we usually run in banked mode. I may have to borrower in 2023 if we go to Aulani and take the family to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.

We bought back in 2000 and have never borrowed. Since our first contract we have bought three other contracts so I guess you could say I added points rather than borrowing points...we usually run in banked mode. I may have to borrower in 2023 if we go to Aulani and take the family to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.
Wow, 50 years 🥰 congratulations!!!

I literally borrowed (and banked) for our first trip. And I've stuck with the same 160 points since 2009.

12 years we've on multiple (sometimes simultaneously) occasions Banked, Borrowed, Hold (Held), and OTU used points as needed to optimize our stays. If you're not using all the advantages to points management, well... you're just not. It's all about the long term planning strategy spreadsheet (I love spreadsheets)!

25 year members, borrowed a few points this year for a Big Family Trip, GV + studio. Then ended up cancelling a few nights of the studio so now I have to burn those points before March. No biggie. We almost always have a few to bank, this may be the first time we've borrowed.

We've been in borrowing mode since we bought 20+ years ago (adding multiple contracts didn't help - we just wound up booking larger room, longer trips, extra trips, giving to family).
Banking is an entirely different story. I had to actually call MS to make sure we didn't mess it up the one & only time we did it a few years ago :rolleyes:

We borrowed for our Welcome Home trip. 😏
But we were always planning for our DVC stays to be every-other-year anyways.

I was afraid I'd find people like you! Although honestly, you gave me a good idea. This year was our 40th anniversary, but next year is a big family trip, the first time in a GV. We were going to do it this year and celebrate at an OKW GV with the whole family. But since DDIL's pregnant, the big family trip will be next year. So I can say I borrowed for our delayed anniversary trip. And congratulations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter