How long before they stop letting people share?

It's a shame the information in your email contradicts the information that's given out to the guests when they check in. I'm also done with this discussion. Guests can decide if they want to follow the rules they are given by Disney when the check in or the rules that are contained in the email which you posted.

I sent you a PM on a slightly different situation, one that's really OT.

Which is probably as good of a reason as any to take it to PM. Just to cap this off, though, I did receive a reply from Disney already. (Why I get replies in a day while others wait weeks, I don't know.) They confirmed the policy as I stated it. Until you write Disney asking the same question, I'm done with that little discussion with you, so don't bother with the PM until then.

The upside for Disney, at least from our family, is that they will probably get MORE money from us at that meal than by not allowing us to share, because of the probability that we will order an extra appetizer and/or extra dessert to share, since we will not be stuffed from each having their own entree!

We get a more enjoyable meal, they get at least what we would have spent, and probably more. They have now satisfied another family in that restaurant that otherwise may have left unhappy. The non-tangible benefit is that this family may become repeat visitors for years to come. There is a possibility of thousands of dollars of revenue being generated by the simple act of bringing an extra plate. The minute extra labour cost could be considered advertising.

This goes for us too!
We don't eat at very fancy places very often, but I have never been charged extra for sharing a meal!
I would also like to reiterate that restaurants allow sharing, simply, because it is something that is considered "GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE" and they would like us to return to their establishment!

Yes, but in order for Pedler's lost opportunity data to be valid, we have to assume that EVERYONE at EVERY table orders an appetizer, entre, dessert and drink. That is simply not the case. Many diners do not order apps and/or dessert. Many diners chose to drink water because it is their preferred drink (as I do). Many diners never, ever, order dessert when they eat out. What is the restaurant going to do, ask every patron what they plan to order before they get inside, and if the check isn't big enough turn them away???
The restaurant cannot force someone to order a 3 course meal, therefore, there is lost opportunity at each and every table, regardless of whether they have shared an entree or not.

Point is, if somebody orders an appetizer and desset instead of an entre the likelihood is that the cheque total stays roughly the same (depending on the restaurant, of course). While there may be lost opportunity, it does not automatically equate to lost revenue.

Touche! Faye!:cheer2:

Some less expensive restaurants even have sharing charge. They explain the sharing charge doesn't just cover the cost of an extra plate. It covers the cost of the extra bread and butter that are served as well as an extra salad. The restaurant splits the entrée in the kitchen and generally gives each customer more than half the normal serving of vegetable and potato.

I consider that GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I've been to restaurants that have a plate charge where the charge is waived if the customer orders enough food and drink. A party that splits one dinner pays the extra charge. A party that orders adult beverages and extra appetizers/desserts isn't generally charged. Also GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE.

This goes for us too!
We don't eat at very fancy places very often, but I have never been charged extra for sharing a meal!
I would also like to reiterate that restaurants allow sharing, simply, because it is something that is considered "GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE" and they would like us to return to their establishment!

We were on DDP 17th-22nd Dec and staying at POR. Children are 10, 14 and 17. So we had paid for 5 full price DDPs for 5 nights. As we were moving accommodations on the 22nd we planned to stretch the DDP over the Friday, and to use 3-4 credits at each meal (except buffets) As we were not exploiting child credits, and it had been confirmed when making ADRs that this was fine, we booked our meals. We had no problems except at Spoodles, they wanted us to order five meals, as we had reserved 5 seats. We were made to feel very uncomfortable. There is no way any of us can or should eat all that food, one day fine, we just wanted to make it stretch over the 6th day, as it was a lot with all of us counting as adults.

Everywhere in the States lets you share, in my experience, we weren't sharing just 1 meal between 2, and the tip will still be huge ordering 4 mesals, we would order far less if we were paying, and less tip too as a result!

We did only order the 4 meals, but it spoilt the meal being made to feel we were "cheating" the system.

So, I would like to know....What if you only had enough credits for 4 at that point in time?

Really, I think instead of a sharing charge, they could impose a minimum charge for each diner. That might do the trick.

I disagree! That would mean that sharing would not be allowed, because once again, We would have to order something that we don't want to qualify for the minimum purchase!

Uh, I wasn't saying that I wanted them to do that. I was just saying that they could do that -- that that might resolve the issue if they had a concern about sharing.

Some less expensive restaurants even have sharing charge. They explain the sharing charge doesn't just cover the cost of an extra plate. It covers the cost of the extra bread and butter that are served as well as an extra salad. The restaurant splits the entrée in the kitchen and generally gives each customer more than half the normal serving of vegetable and potato.

I consider that GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I've been to restaurants that have a plate charge where the charge is waived if the customer orders enough food and drink. A party that splits one dinner pays the extra charge. A party that orders adult beverages and extra appetizers/desserts isn't generally charged. Also GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Well, I am sure there are those places, but I haven't hit any of them!:rotfl:

I disagree! That would mean that sharing would not be allowed, because once again, We would have to order something that we don't want to qualify for the minimum purchase!

I've been to IHOP's that have a minimum order per person. Guests can either order enough food, pay the minimum as a "cover charge" or go somewhere else to eat. I don't really blame IHOP for not wanting guests tying up a table getting free coffee refills without eating a meal.

Pinktink posted:
Well, I am sure there are those places, but I haven't hit any of them!

I suspect "sharing rules" are different in different parts of the country. I see sharing charges at IHOP, local diners and in good local restaurants. The menu is priced assuming guests will be ordering a meal. Take an extreme example, all customers share. The restaurant will have to almost double the menu price to make the same money. The chain restaurants like Outback don't seem to have sharing charges.

I think this discussion is becoming ridiculous! What do people care if the table next to them is sharing a meal? I agree that people abuse and cheat the system, like paying for a child and ordering from the adult menu, but I think Disney has corrected that flaw in system by some of the threads I have read.
I also think that if Disney stops allowing sharing, it may cut into their pockets a bit, because there seems to be many people doing that. Families may feel that it isn't as great of a deal for them anymore. Just a thought!:rolleyes1

I for one don't go into a restaurant and look around to see if the table next to me is sharing meals, nor do I care! They have paid for it somehow!
Since I have never used the DDP, because I think it is too much food for us, I will continue to pay out of pocket and continue to share a meal if I choose to. When and if the time comes where they will not allow sharing, we will likely not eat there again or at least hardly ever. Maybe we might do take-out or some other alternative.

100% of say a $50 meal is more than 0% of a $75 one! And when we are there we eat at our favorite places several times. I know by other posts that people who frequent WDW eat at the same places all the time, so I don't think they are going to quit letting people share. JMO

This entire thread is posters speculating about possible changes in Disney policy that will limit or charge extra if guests decide to share a meal.

We care because a change in policy might affect us. Meals I share might cost me extra. I might find it easier to get an ADR. CRT is an easier ADR to get now that the meal is more expensive and can't be shared.

I don't look at other tables and see if they share. I tend to read the entire menu and notice any sharing charges or minimum order requirements that are listed on the menu.

I'll speculate that Disney will just change one or two restaurants that are generally packed. CG is a candidate for a change.

I think this discussion is becoming ridiculous! What do people care if the table next to them is sharing a meal? I agree that people abuse and cheat the system, like paying for a child and ordering from the adult menu, but I think Disney has corrected that flaw in system by some of the threads I have read.
I also think that if Disney stops allowing sharing, it may cut into their pockets a bit, because there seems to be many people doing that. Families may feel that it isn't as great of a deal for them anymore. Just a thought!:rolleyes1

I for one don't go into a restaurant and look around to see if the table next to me is sharing meals, nor do I care! They have paid for it somehow!
Since I have never used the DDP, because I think it is too much food for us, I will continue to pay out of pocket and continue to share a meal if I choose to. When and if the time comes where they will not allow sharing, we will likely not eat there again or at least hardly ever. Maybe we might do take-out or some other alternative.

100% of say a $50 meal is more than 0% of a $75 one! And when we are there we eat at our favorite places several times. I know by other posts that people who frequent WDW eat at the same places all the time, so I don't think they are going to quit letting people share. JMO

This entire thread is posters speculating about possible changes in Disney policy that will limit or charge extra if guests decide to share a meal.

We care because a change in policy might affect us. Meals I share might cost me extra. I might find it easier to get an ADR. CRT is an easier ADR to get now that the meal is more expensive and can't be shared.

I don't look at other tables and see if they share. I tend to read the entire menu and notice any sharing charges or minimum order requirements that are listed on the menu.

I'll speculate that Disney will just change one or two restaurants that are generally packed. CG is a candidate for a change.

Precisely. It's not about what other people do to me. Since we share this is an important issue to me. It affects me whether we're on the Dining Plan or not because I have just have a kid who doesn't tend to always eat a lot but is past the kids menu stage. Even if we would let her (and we won't in general) she wouldn't order chicken fingers or a hot dog. She likes "real" food. So our way of doing things is to share when we can.

I understand this. I guess my comment is in response to some of the posters that have been rather insulting and name calling, because they choose to not share any meals! Sorry!;)

Precisely. It's not about what other people do to me. Since we share this is an important issue to me. It affects me whether we're on the Dining Plan or not because I have just have a kid who doesn't tend to always eat a lot but is past the kids menu stage. Even if we would let her (and we won't in general) she wouldn't order chicken fingers or a hot dog. She likes "real" food. So our way of doing things is to share when we can.

Us too! I'm in the same boat!

I understand this. I guess my comment is in response to some of the posters that have been rather insulting and name calling, because they choose to not share any meals! Sorry!;)

NOT REFERRING TO ANYONE IN THIS THREAD. I won't call it pathetic but it's sad that some posters ask about what entrées in what restaurants are large enough to share. Picking a meal based on the quantity of food being served isn't the way I decide where to have dinner. Also sets a guest up for disappointment if Disney decides to make the portion size more reasonable.

True for those places that aren't turning away people then they lose out but what about those places that are turning away people? Look at CRT. They made it a fixed price meal and in essence have instituted a per person charge. Disney basically did a Disneyesque solution to the problem. I still don't think the Disney owned places will put in a plate charge or stop sharing at the regular places. It would just create to many options for conflict. However I can see more places going to fixed price either by becoming a buffet or doing what CRT did. I could also see signature places such as CG having a per person minimum.

The new kids menus apply to all guests, not just DDP. It is thought that the new kids meals are more expensive to prepare yet the kids meal plan is still a bargain $11.

Do they require all kids to order off the kids' menu, not just those on the dining plan?

I won't call it pathetic but it's sad that some posters ask about what entrées in what restaurants are large enough to share. Picking a meal based on the quantity of food being served isn't the way I decide where to have dinner.

Nor do I. I guess I am just not that thrifty!:rotfl:
My son and I just do not have the same appetite as my husband does! I swear he has worms!:rotfl2: When we are at Disney,he is even worse! I get so mad, because he can eat like a pig and doesn't gain a pound! He refers to himself as "Fat and sassy at a 155lbs!" I think he might be 158lbs.!:rotfl2: So many times when we go out to eat, my son and I are just not that hungry and we will share a meal. That is all!
:rolleyes1

True for those places that aren't turning away people then they lose out but what about those places that are turning away people? Look at CRT. They made it a fixed price meal and in essence have instituted a per person charge. Disney basically did a Disneyesque solution to the problem. I still don't think the Disney owned places will put in a plate charge or stop sharing at the regular places. It would just create to many options for conflict. However I can see more places going to fixed price either by becoming a buffet or doing what CRT did. I could also see signature places such as CG having a per person minimum.

Good point! I'm sure that Disney does a heck of a business at the CRT. We have yet to make it to one of those, mostly because I have a boy and that isn't that appealing to him. I did tell my family that I am going to do that one of these days and they can just smile for the picture!:lmao: That is something that we won't do very often, because it has become more costly. I know they have not suffered financially from my non-attendance!:rotfl:
I know that if Disney changes the rules at some places, it will just change the where and way we and others eat at WDW! We'll manage!

From Bicker:
That only applies to non-Disney-owned restaurants. Disney-owned restaurants don't get paid, as such, at least not in the same way.

I would be interested to read more on this please. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter