How in the world did Build-A Bear Workshop get so popular?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
I have never figured out how on earth Build-A-Bear Workshop is such a popular store and I cannot figure out how they survive in business? Because I have seen tons of commercials for Build-A-Bear Workshop and I don't know how it continues to be popular. Is it because it's a store that introduces the fad of creating plushies or is because they want to get in on the making your own stuffed animals crafting trend? Because whenever my mom and I went into a Build-A-Bear Workshop once just to see what the big hype was about and we were shocked at how pricey it costs to make a bear and not only that it gets more pricey if you want to get an additional outfit and sounds for your bear. But the outfits alone are worth the price and that's where my mom used to buy cute clothing for her bear collection but now they have expanded the animals to not only teddy bears but characters such as Marvel heroes and Star Wars characters and so it tells me that Build-A-Bear Workshop is trying to attract a new audience. But you can do the exact same thing at home and all you do is go to Michael's and buy a bear making kit and outfits and you can do the same for Marvel plushies by getting outfits and dressing them up too. Why I think Build-A-Bear Workshop was even made was to keep kids from getting bored while parents shop at the mall so that the kids would have something to do while waiting for Mom and Dad

We did it with our kids years ago when they were a lot smaller, when it first opened. The kids really enjoyed picking their own animal, giving it a heartbeat and then stuffing and outfitting it. It was definitely pricey, even then. But they both still have the bears they built. We haven't done it again, but I do remember really enjoying the process of walking through the steps with them. We didn't get into lots of outfits or anything like that. Not sure what the price point is now, but everything is expensive.

We put this in the same category of experiences like the Droid Depot and Olivanders. Expensive but worth it once.

I have never figured out how on earth Build-A-Bear Workshop is such a popular store and I cannot figure out how they survive in business? Because I have seen tons of commercials for Build-A-Bear Workshop and I don't know how it continues to be popular. Is it because it's a store that introduces the fad of creating plushies or is because they want to get in on the making your own stuffed animals crafting trend? Because whenever my mom and I went into a Build-A-Bear Workshop once just to see what the big hype was about and we were shocked at how pricey it costs to make a bear and not only that it gets more pricey if you want to get an additional outfit and sounds for your bear. But the outfits alone are worth the price and that's where my mom used to buy cute clothing for her bear collection but now they have expanded the animals to not only teddy bears but characters such as Marvel heroes and Star Wars characters and so it tells me that Build-A-Bear Workshop is trying to attract a new audience. But you can do the exact same thing at home and all you do is go to Michael's and buy a bear making kit and outfits and you can do the same for Marvel plushies by getting outfits and dressing them up too. Why I think Build-A-Bear Workshop was even made was to keep kids from getting bored while parents shop at the mall so that the kids would have something to do while waiting for Mom and Dad
Making your own bear from a kit isn't as easy as going to the mall and having someone else do it for you :) Expanding a product line is the only way any business stays open; if Yankee Candle only sold 10 types of scents and only in candle form, they'd have been out of business years ago. Following trends is also a way businesses stay alive. I can't think of any business that doesn't try to attract more customers, do you? :)

Making your own bear from a kit isn't as easy as going to the mall and having someone else do it for you :) Expanding a product line is the only way any business stays open; if Yankee Candle only sold 10 types of scents and only in candle form, they'd have been out of business years ago. Following trends is also a way businesses stay alive. I can't think of any business that doesn't try to attract more customers, do you? :)

Part of it would be repeat customers. My kid has maybe 6 full sized and several of the minis. There were a couple of the tiny ones that make a noise, but the battery died in those. We did get one at a school white elephant sale once.

kbf-bab-front.jpg
There is this one. It’s outside the entrance and doesn’t require admission. It’s mostly a regular Build-A-Bear other than a few exclusives, and I think they sell and take gift cards.

https://www.knotts.com/california-marketplace/build-a-bear

There is a Build a Bear location at three malls in my area. All three locations are always packed every time I go. Kids like dressing up their own teddy bear (or getting an already pre-established character. I notice a lot of kids with the Pokemon ones). I even see some adults buy them. When the Animal Crossing ones were first up for preorder, they sold out SUPER fast.

The last time I went to Build a Bear was in the Downtown Disney location in California. I added one of those strawberry scents into my red panda and even now it STILL smells like strawberry.

It's still in business because kids like it. The end.
Pretty much this lol. My DD11 still loves it.

Also, it can be much more reasonably priced with discounted gift cards at Sam's, etc. $37.50 for $50.

Eta: she gets them online and not the store since she has outgrown the store experience.

I still love it!! I have 4 and I change their clothes every month. I have a closet of clothes for them, shoes, accessories.
I got my first one in 2004....at DtD CA

Didn't know they were still in business. Probably because the ones near me closed years ago.

It's a bit odd here because the closest location to where I live is in San Francisco at Pier 39. But the most convenient location is not in a mall storefront but in the center where one would normally find things like mall kiosks and electronics repair.

_asset_get_98674

This mall gets a good deal of turnover, so I've asked why they haven't just relocated to an available storefront. Never really got an answer other than they're doing OK with just a stand in the middle.

My kids liked it when they were young. I think one DD's girl scout troop went with cookie money they raised. The basic bear wasn't too pricy back then. We still have a few floating around in the attic.

I think it does well because it is an experience. An emotional experience. It is pretty cool to go there and pick out a fluffy skin, then stuff it, and feel like you get to make it whatever you wish. Emotional experiences matter. It is something you never forget. I still remember my kids first build a bears. It is special.

We never lived close enough to one for it to be a regular thing, but have been a few times on vacations when the kids were younger. We felt the stores provided good value for what you got--the kids took the bear-making very seriously, and cherished their stuffed friends. I think the specialness would have been lost if we'd lived closer and gone more often. But, I'm not going to knock someone else who enjoys making and dressing the critters and so forth.

And here I am snuggling with my BABW bunny that's wearing Lilo's dress.....

I collect stuffed animals in general. I've bought many BABW animals and accessories new. And I've gotten even more second hand for a lot less than retail.

BABW has been around since 1997. This isn't some new trend. Many of the bear making kits you see nowadays were inspired by BABW.

BABW is literally a dream come true for me. When I was a kid in the 80s I wasn't really interested in dolls. I LOVED my stuffed animals. I dreamed of having a teddy bear with the wardrobe and accessories of Barbie. Nothing like that existed back then.

I feel like this was more of a solidly middle class experience growing up. They were a thing that everyone knew about and were advertised on children's programming, but I know for certain we never went because we wouldn't have been able to afford it. None of my friends ever talked about it, so probably same for their families.

Now, would I take a future child in there to do one? Possibly. The price point I'm seeing isn't overly outrageous if it's only done on special occasions.

I have always liked collecting stuffed animals even more than Barbie dolls now. But today the only Barbie-type dolls I collect are celebrity dolls. But what I think inspired Build-A-Bear to become even more popular is parents view it the same way as taking the kids to the toy store and letting the kids pick out a special treat. And now Build-A-Bear Workshop has even made the stuffed animals interactive by letting kids fill out a certificate online by giving the animal a name and a code to play with it online and what I see is that this is a huge money maker for Build-A-Bear Workshop. But I do agree that the outfits are cute and can fit almost any plushie easily

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter