How hard is it to combine reservations?

Wayland10

DIS Veteran
Hi folks! My mother-in-law has decided to join us in DVC ownership. She wants to buy two contracts with different use years. How hard would it be for her to juggle two account ID numbers? That is what she'd end up with, right? Has anyone had luck asking Member Services to combine reservations made with two different account numbers? How would this even work? I'm trying to convince her to wait, but after resisting for years now she wants to purchase immediately. Thanks for your time and help!

You can’t combine reservation into a single reservation if the reservations weren’t made under the same membership ID (the case with multiple UY). However, she can link the reservations to get close to a guarantee to not move rooms. Though the recommendation is to go to the front desk at the switch date to confirm and shore it up with the desk.

Two use years means you will have two different member numbers. You are essentially two different members for most purposes. The two use years will show up in the same online account as long as the owners are exactly the same, but even then you still deal with each as a separate ownership. Each has its own annual statement and annual dues are paid separately.

There are only two ways to use both use years for the same vacation. One method is to transfer points from one use year to the other. That will allow them to be used together to make any reservation but the current online system is not set up to allow both regular and transfer points to be used together in making a reservation so you have to call to make the reservation.

The other method is to make two separate reservations, one for the first part of a trip and then use the other use year to reserve the second part. Each of those reservations has its own 11 month/7 month out start time. After making both reservations, you contact MS by email or phone and have it link the reservations. Doing so results in not having to change rooms.

I have two use years. It requires a little more work and paying attention to detail, but for me it has been fine.

Last edited:
Two use years means you will have two different member numbers. You are essentially two different members for most purposes. The two use years will show up in the same online account as long as the owners are exactly the same, but even then you still deal with each as a separate ownership. Each has its own annual statement and annual dues are paid separately.

There are only two ways to use both use years for the same vacation. One method is to transfer points from one use year to the other. That will allow them to be used together to make any reservation but the current online system is not set up to allow regular and transfer points in making a reservation so you have to call to make the reservation.

The other method is to make two separate reservations, one for the first part of a trip and then use the other use year to reserve the second part. Each of those reservations has its own 11 month/7 month out start time. After making both reservations, you contact MS by mail or phone and have it link the reservations. Doing so results in not having to change rooms.

I have two use years.it requires a little more work and paying attention to but for me it has been fine.

Responses are spot on. We‘ve linked reservations twice. Once was several years ago and did have a minor inconvenience with the night we had linked. The room number was mistakenly issued to another party. They walked in with all their luggage after we had gotten back from park on that day. A little awkward...haha.

It was easy to link but each account owner has to be on the phone when you call MS. They wouldnt do it via email request.

The other aspect of two UY is that without the transfer, you could end up needing to borrow on one contract, while you have current UY points on the other,

I have 3 UYs, but I treat each one on its own and they are large enough to do what I need with each. I never transfer because I want to be able to use online booking all the time and with transfers, you can’t.

Now, I do end up borrowing sometimes but I am okay with that aNd have yet to loose a point!

I have had trips where the nights were booked on two of the memberships and I just make sure to have them linked, make a note, and at check in, make sure they have me slated for the same room. While they will tell you there is no guarantee, I have yet to not be allowed to stay in the same room.

Thank you all so much for your answers. In the end I was able to find two contracts with the same use year that met her needs, and she put in offers yesterday. Both were accepted! She'll hopefully soon be the proud owner of 150 points at AKL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!