How far do you stretch partaking in complimentary items?

Erzengel

DIS Veteran
I was at a seminar the other day and I noticed a habit I do of eating lunch and then taking a drink to go (bottle of water, can of soda) and I do that when I get my car serviced too. Hot chocolate and a bagel and then grab a drink to go.

If it's sitting out, and I want it, I take it. If it's a situation where you have to ask for the free item, and someone has to give it to you, I exercise more restraint, or sometimes don't go for anything unless I am explicitly asked if I want some.

Our Honda dealer has a full on kitchen in the customer waiting area. They do bottled water and coffee all day, doughnuts and bagels in the morning, have a popcorn machine that is self serve, bake fresh chocolate chip cookies mid morning, and at lunch time, serve soup and sandwiches (made to order...they have a menu and everything). EVERYTHING is free.

I have never been there long enough to partake in everything they offer, but if I have to sit there for a few hours, you bet I am going to have some free snacks!

I don't take anything to go unless specifically invited to like @kaytieedlr
If I so happen to be thirsty or hungry, and they have a snack I want, I don't hesitate to enjoy it while I am there.

I've taken a bottle of water or soda to go from time to time at places like auto services and hotels. Hotels that do breakfasts, I sometimes take a piece of fruit for later as well.

If I'm at a seminar or meeting that has lots of drinks setting out I'll grab one to go, especially if I have a longer drive. If it doesn't look like there's a lot extra, I won't.

I bought a new car back in November, I got a call sometime in Feb. inviting me to a new Kia owner dinner. I guess they do it twice a year, but it was a weeknight 30 min. away and I didn't feel like going and sitting with strangers for a free meal.

We just had a free office breakfast the other day.

1-large-dinner-plate-rex.jpg

I don't think there's anything wrong with an item "to go" but I don't do it. I don't avail myself of the complimentary anything, including the samples at the grocery store and Costco. Just a quirk I have.:)

I've had mini bottles of water when I've shopped at Vera Bradley and Brighton before. I know Brighton offers little cookies or something, but I'm working hard to avoid weight gain so I avoid those. I love it when hotels have the iced water dispensers with fruit or cucumbers at check in and always get a glass.

We just had a free office breakfast the other day.

A full English! LOL -- looking forward to that at least once during our trip to southern England this summer!

OP -- if it's there, I'll take one to go. If it's a program we're putting on and I'm staying overnight, I'll take two.

I rarely do. I feel guilty just taking things, even if they're offered, and now that I have a child, I don't want him to think that he's "owed" or "entitled" to something (not sure that's the correct word). I bring our own snacks and drinks to the hairdresser, even though she provides a beverage bar and has a candy jar (and DS always asks for a lollipop). We just went on a road trip and every hotel offered a "free" breakfast, but DH and I only take food that we eat in the breakfast area. DS, however, being 3 1/2, asked for juice and Froot Loops that he didn't eat, so we guiltily took them with us.

But, being a bit hypocritical, last year at Disney, after checking out of the hotel and going to the MK for the morning, we went back to the food court and filled up our mugs for our drive out to Clearwater. For some reason, we didn't feel as guilty as we usually would.

I usually have a water with me, and my Subaru dealer doesn’t offer more than coffee. Sheesh.

My kids practically eat a free meal every time they go to Costco....they LOVE all the free samples. :D
If you go to Costco on a Saturday, it’s true- you can literally have lunch while you shop! They often offer samples of things we actually buy...Bonus!

Love free stuff! That free breakfast buffet will also be lunch, that managers reception will be dinner. I used to take my five kids to Costco for lunch (free samples), and when our local stew Leonard’s (liquor store) used to have cheese samples as well as wine tasting, I’d go several times a week. That said, hotel rates were over $300 a night, a trip to Costco cost a few hundred, and I’d always but something at Stew’s. When the kids were little, I always meant to stop by Bobs furniture for snacks, but never did, although IKEA was always good for free childcare!

If it’s free, I take it. I’ll try the Costco samples that look tasty to me. Whenever food is left behind in the break room, I will take some to eat. I drink the free coffee at work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!