How does pin trading work?

ssclbc

Mouseketeer
OK, I'm completely ignorant about pin trading. From the scattered mentions I've read on this board, it sounds like it could be fun. I'll be going on the Magic 2/2/2.
A few questions....
1) How do you get started? Do you need to buy pins before you get on-board? Where?
2) What's a pin lanyard? (see I really am ignorant about this)
3) Are there rules? What are they?
4) do both adults and kids trade?
5) anyone have a link to more information?

Thanks!!

You will need pins in order to trade pins.
The pins you purchase from "cheap pins" or at the Disney Store are cheaper than the ones purchased at the park, so it is better to have some of those to take with you to trade. What I have done is buy the 100 Year of Dreams pins at the Disney Store each Saturday. And I buy TWO of some of them to have extras to trade at the parks. By the way, the Disney Store is having pin trading at their stores each Tuesday night, so you could get a head start there.
The lanyard is a belt-like article which goes around your neck. You pin your pins to the lanyard so people can see what you have to trade. I have heard that Disney has given away some of these lanyards to annual pass holders at the parks, but, as usual, I was not there when they were doing this. The Disney Store does not sell these lanyards. You have to buy them at the parks. There are some on line stores which sell them, but the ones I have seen are expensive.
There is something called "pin trading etiquette" which is a list of do's and don'ts for pin trading. The main rule I have become aware of is that a Disney CM must trade you one-for-one for any pin on their lanyards.
I'm sure that many other DIS'ers will have much more to tell you on this subject. I'll be interested to read their comments, also.

And the pin trading varies, just like many of Disney policies.
Some CM's will not trade if you are wanting to give them a pin that is already on their lanyard. Some will trade anything.
DL/DCA pin trading policies are much stricter than WDW. So consider which park you will be doing most of your trading in, if you plan on doing that sometime.
If you start trading through the mail, don't be offended if someone asks if you have references. And many of us will trade with newcomers. (We all had to start somewhere.) Just starting out with simple trades is easier.
Once the mail trade is completed, make sure the person you traded with leaves a reference for you on Dizpins and you do the same for them.
99.9% of the collectors/traders are terrific people! We are a pretty tight knit community.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter