How Does Norway Compare?

m3owbox

Mouseketeer
I currently have a Disney Norwegian Fjords cruise booked for next summer and was wondering how it compares to Alaska in landscape, etc.. I cruised in Alaska on a Princess ship a few summers ago. I've never been to Norway. Do you see a lot of land while cruising to the different locations? Or is it more like a cruise to the Bahamas where you don't see anything until you're in port? Also any Norwegian cruise info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've done both, and I probably preferred the Norwegian fjords to Alaska. My husband preferred Alaska however, so it really is just personal preference. There are tons of opportunities for scenic viewing when going in and out of the fjords, and the scenery is breath-takingly beautiful in my opinion.

The scenery is more maritime. Unlike Alaska, the ship goes to open sea between ports. But the excursions are much more interesting in Norway, since the ports are larger than in Alaska (except Geiranger, which is a town created mainly for cruises but it offers some of the most beautiful scenery you can get on a cruise). We preferred our Norway cruise over Alaska, mainly because of the culture and Viking history, but the sights are more beautiful in Alaska.

just did the Magic to Norway this summer. Here are some typical sights. The cruise into/out Geiranger lasts 3 hrs each way, with spectacular scenery. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. We are an active family and did DIY in each port, including hiking up 400 steps in Alesund to the lookout--5 yr olds also did this easy, but lots of steps hike (or you could just take a taxi, trolley to the top), went on a bus to Mt. D in Geiranger (either thru the ship or DIY), boat to fjord in Stavanger, and walked around Bergen. Below are typical photos/places on Norway cruise. It rained 2/4 port stops, bring lots of rain gear.
Geiranger sail in
upload_2016-9-22_11-21-14.jpeg
mt D
upload_2016-9-22_11-21-51.jpeg
stavanger
upload_2016-9-22_11-22-35.jpeg
we took boat tour to pulpit rock--others did (hard) hike, someone broke their leg on our cruise slipping
images

funicular to top in Bergen--it rained, we skipped this and wnet to Hanseatic museum in town, below
upload_2016-9-22_11-24-45.jpeg
upload_2016-9-22_11-25-1.jpeg
view from top of 418 steps Alesund
upload_2016-9-22_11-25-38.jpeg

Have any of you who have done Norway seen any significant wildlife there? I was considering this cruise as well (we already did Alaska), but I haven't seen many wildlife photos in the trip reports I've read.

no wildlife and they said little marine life, as water is too cold and too deep for oxygen (?). We saw zip.

We are also booked next year and I have heard the same - this isn't a wildlife cruise sadly. Still holding out hope that I will find a wayward puffin, though it isn't likely. ;)

just did the Magic to Norway this summer. Here are some typical sights. The cruise into/out Geiranger lasts 3 hrs each way, with spectacular scenery. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. We are an active family and did DIY in each port, including hiking up 400 steps in Alesund to the lookout--5 yr olds also did this easy, but lots of steps hike (or you could just take a taxi, trolley to the top), went on a bus to Mt. D in Geiranger (either thru the ship or DIY), boat to fjord in Stavanger, and walked around Bergen. Below are typical photos/places on Norway cruise. It rained 2/4 port stops, bring lots of rain gear.
Geiranger sail in
View attachment 196302
mt D
View attachment 196303
stavanger
View attachment 196304
we took boat tour to pulpit rock--others did (hard) hike, someone broke their leg on our cruise slipping
images

funicular to top in Bergen--it rained, we skipped this and wnet to Hanseatic museum in town, below
View attachment 196305
View attachment 196306
View attachment 196307

Hi,

We did the same as you. Skipped hike up Pulpit Rock. I've climbed mountains over the past 30 years, and would have loved to do it, but we didn't want to pay for the excursion unless it was a nice day. Sure enough as expected it was raining, so we enjoyed the port of Stavanger. My only complaint about the Norway cruise is that I wish we had two days in most of the ports. That way you could do an excursion and still have time to more thoroughly explore each port, especially Bergen.

We are also booked next year and I have heard the same - this isn't a wildlife cruise sadly. Still holding out hope that I will find a wayward puffin, though it isn't likely. ;)

We didn't see any wildlife in Norway. But we did see puffins in Iceland on our way home. We flew Iceland Air and spent 2 nights in Iceland. It was awesome!

Alaska vs. Norway is a toss up. The scenery was unreal in Norway, but we loved all the wildlife of Alaska (and the glaciers). I would do either cruise again in a heartbeat!

Geiranger sail in
View attachment 196302
mt D
View attachment 196303
stavanger
View attachment 196304
images

View attachment 196305
View attachment 196306
View attachment 196307
That is a beautiful photo of Pulpit Rock. That must have been quite the boat trip!

MUN

We've done an Alaska cruise and a B2B Norway/Iceland/Scotland Magic cruise last summer. The scenery is different, but both absolutely stunning. I probably wouldn't do another Alaska cruise (would like to explore more inland Alaska though), but would go back to Norway in a heartbeat. It is the most beautiful country I have ever seen. The fjords are amazing and I highly recommend doing some fjord excursions. If you go to Geiranger, try the RIB boat - beautiful scenery and tons of fun!

We are book for next year Norway cruise and we did the Alaska cruise 2 years ago. LOVE Alaska, best cruise so far. I hope Norway it's different.

our day was drizling rain, and we were at the bottom looking up, so that, and the others, were just stock online photos I grabbed for examples. However, our photos in other ports all look like those, except Bergen funicular, which we skipped b/c of the rain. Alesund is an especially gorgeous view. Norway was a fabulous trip. Other than the bus to Mt D (booked online for under $50) and kayaking (also online), we did not do any big excursions. There are longer day trips, etc. where you might see more scenery. But, with a family of 4, those excursions add up. Plus, knowing our teens, we picked easy 1/2 day port visits. It was the perfect amount or Norway for us, esp. as the cruise was also our relax break on a 3 week, high-touring trip. We also watched 6 movies on that cruise!
Copenhagen is a great city, with tons to do. Make sure to spend at least 1 extra day there. It's very walkable, and public transit is excellent, as well.
FYI-SAS flies from many European cities nonstop to CPH (for as low as $100PP+) so you can fly into another city 1st, and then onto CPH. We have done this 2X, once into Frankfurt with 3 days DIY Rhine riviers area/Heidelberg, and also to Rome 1st. We have also flown after a cruise from CPH to London and once to Paris. Easy-Peasy and gets a lot of bang for your over the pond expensive plane ticket.

Last edited:
our day was drizling rain, and we were at the bottom looking up, so that, and the others, were just stock online photos I grabbed for examples. However, our photos in other ports all look like those, except Bergen funicular, which we skipped b/c of the rain. Alesund is an especially gorgeous view. Norway was a fabulous trip. Other than the bus to Mt D (booked online for under $50) and kayaking (also online), we did not do any big excursions. There are longer day trips, etc. where you might see more scenery. But, with a family of 4, those excursions add up. Plus, knowing our teens, we picked easy 1/2 day port visits. It was the perfect amount or Norway for us, esp. as the cruise was also our relax break on a 3 week, high-touring trip. We also watched 6 movies on that cruise!
Copenhagen is a great city, with tons to do. Make sure to spend at least 1 extra day there. It's very walkable, and public transit is excellent, as well.
FYI-SAS flies from many European cities nonstop to CPH (for as low as $100PP+) so you can fly into another city 1st, and then onto CPH. We have done this 2X, once into Frankfurt with 3 days DIY Rhine riviers area/Heidelberg, and also to Rome 1st. We have also flown after a cruise from CPH to London and once to Paris. Easy-Peasy and gets a lot of bang for your over the pond expensive plane ticket.
We are doing that next year, we are getting to Copenhagen and from there we are going to Amsterdam for 3 days and the we are going to Berlin. $100 each round trip.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter