How does Fauci's longer-term vision affect the future of cruising?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that the shutdowns taught us is that many of us can work from home or where ever and do so effectively. Hopefully companies will cooperate with this concept and many of us can move out of expensive cities where our jobs are and find nicer communities to live in. I myself live in a fairly rural setting in Western PA, but work in the DC area most of the time. I have enjoyed not having to be in DC all the time, especially this week with all of closures for the inauguration.

One thing that the shutdowns taught us is that many of us can work from home or where ever and do so effectively. Hopefully companies will cooperate with this concept and many of us can move out of expensive cities where our jobs are and find nicer communities to live in. I myself live in a fairly rural setting in Western PA, but work in the DC area most of the time. I have enjoyed not having to be in DC all the time, especially this week with all of closures for the inauguration.
It would be wonderful if there were a better Internet "connection" at sea. Not sure how to do that, but if it were the case, we could see all those people who can work from home and school from home taking "off-peak" vacations. Some, as I suggested earlier for a possible future, could actually be registered as living in one state/country, but spend their days in their cruise ship home. Or vacation home.

Also, anyone thought about whether DVC would start selling a portion of staterooms as timeshares? Why not? You'd be guaranteed a certain percentage of occupancy.

It would be wonderful if there were a better Internet "connection" at sea. Not sure how to do that, but if it were the case, we could see all those people who can work from home and school from home taking "off-peak" vacations. Some, as I suggested earlier for a possible future, could actually be registered as living in one state/country, but spend their days in their cruise ship home. Or vacation home.

Also, anyone thought about whether DVC would start selling a portion of staterooms as timeshares? Why not? You'd be guaranteed a certain percentage of occupancy.
This is an interesting idea. Also, could there be DVC ships?

I am happy most venues, locations, and such were over packed 12 months ago.

Originally no limit, then a fire code limit, now a Covid limit.

Prices will go up, crowds go down, and life will go on.
If we never go back to 100% capacity then that is okay with me. Instead of rides being a 120min wait or longer it will be 60. Still long but not as bad.

If we never go back to 100% capacity then that is okay with me. Instead of rides being a 120min wait or longer it will be 60. Still long but not as bad.

Well if referring to the Disney parks, they almost never are at 100 % anyway. NYE at MK is still only like70% capacity, they have haven't in the last 10 plus years ever hit all phases of closures.

Based on the below quote from Dr. Fauci, eliminating COVID seems like window dressing for the "heavy lifting" that he thinks needs to be done to get on a better footing...In such a transformation we will need to prioritize changes in those human behaviors that constitute risks for the emergence of infectious diseases. Chief among them are reducing crowding at home, work, and in public places as well as minimizing environmental perturbations such as deforestation, intense urbanization, and intensive animal farming. Equally important are ending global poverty, improving sanitation and hygiene, and reducing unsafe exposure to animals, so that humans and potential human pathogens have limited opportunities for contact.
:crazy2: Power trip, anyone? Personally, I wouldn't mind if Fauci took a long cruise from a short pier.

:crazy2: Power trip, anyone? Personally, I wouldn't mind if Fauci took a long cruise from a short pier.
Hear, hear!

So that this post stays on topic, here are some things that Fauci's vision could mean for the cruise industry:

1. Buy a cruise/give a cruise - DCL paying guests could fund cruises for those that can't afford them.
2. The government(s) could issue "Disney credits," so that each person gets their "fair share."
3. Calorie limits - 2,000 calories per day is all anyone needs. So, the cruise lines could be forced to impose calorie restrictions. It would be better for the environment,
4. Sails anyone - way more environmentally friendly than steamships.
5. Cruise cabins for no more than 2 passenger to avoid overcrowding.
6. Meatless Mondays - this would cut down on the need for intense animal farming.
7. Carbon limits - you could have to build up energy credits to offset energy used on the cruise.

I think what he is talking about is that entertainment is going to change in the future and in many ways cruises fall into that. Things like packed concerts, sporting events, plays, cruises, airline flights, etc may become a thing of the past.

The elephant in the room that no discussion on would end well is that the earth is really overpopulated which has lead to many of the environmental issues even though many things are more green than they were in the past. Through technology and science the can push the carrying capacity higher, but there is that environmental cost. The problem is there is no good solution to this problem that anyone would agree upon. I just know I was a single child, so was the wife and we only have one child. Plan for me was none, but life happened.

Living in WI is like 2 states split in half. The south has a majority of the people and while we have some forests and such it is pretty typical. You drive up north is like a completely different world and it is amazing. Less densely populated and lots of nature and forests:)

So in the end a lot should change in the future, but if I were betting on this, I don't bet, I would say in 2 years we will have forgotten and ships, sporting events, concerts, etc will be packed just like they were before.

I think what he is talking about is that entertainment is going to change in the future and in many ways cruises fall into that. Things like packed concerts, sporting events, plays, cruises, airline flights, etc may become a thing of the past.

The elephant in the room that no discussion on would end well is that the earth is really overpopulated which has lead to many of the environmental issues even though many things are more green than they were in the past. Through technology and science the can push the carrying capacity higher, but there is that environmental cost. The problem is there is no good solution to this problem that anyone would agree upon. I just know I was a single child, so was the wife and we only have one child. Plan for me was none, but life happened.

Living in WI is like 2 states split in half. The south has a majority of the people and while we have some forests and such it is pretty typical. You drive up north is like a completely different world and it is amazing. Less densely populated and lots of nature and forests:)

So in the end a lot should change in the future, but if I were betting on this, I don't bet, I would say in 2 years we will have forgotten and ships, sporting events, concerts, etc will be packed just like they were before.

I agree everything will be back to packed and probably sooner than 2 years.

I hope you're right. Please make it so.
I'm so tired of all of this. Exhausted actually.

I think we all are, but as hard and tempting as it is I refuse to let my guard down, especially since we are delivering groceries and essentials to my parents to protect them as much as we can. Honestly I think it is going to be an adjustment to go back to not worrying about it, but can't wait till that is a problem:)

The elephant in the room that no discussion on would end well is that the earth is really overpopulated which has lead to many of the environmental issues even though many things are more green than they were in the past.
This may be the animating force behind lots of the emerging global governance structure. And, as pressing as some may think it is, one could expect a lot of anxiety over how population control/reduction might be ethically accomplished. And, if the pandemic is any indicator, citizens are not likely to be given any voice in the matter.

But, back to cruising: lots of people like the idea of smaller crowds at DCL and the parks, because its like "hey, more Disney for me!" But, not everyone who now enjoys these things will get to participate if crowds are reduced and the numbers of ships/parks is not ratably increased. And, the cost of cruising with smaller crowds, more cleaning, etc., may price a lot of us out of the market.

This may be the animating force behind lots of the emerging global governance structure. And, as pressing as some may think it is, one could expect a lot of anxiety over how population control/reduction might be ethically accomplished. And, if the pandemic is any indicator, citizens are not likely to be given any voice in the matter.

But, back to cruising: lots of people like the idea of smaller crowds at DCL and the parks, because its like "hey, more Disney for me!" But, not everyone who now enjoys these things will get to participate if crowds are reduced and the numbers of ships/parks is not ratably increased. And, the cost of cruising with smaller crowds, more cleaning, etc., may price a lot of us out of the market.

I think the future cost of cruising is definitely going to go up if occupancy needs to drop. That will be unfortunate and honestly the number of cruise lines would decrease. We are a thrifty family by choice and price increases would make us think hard about still cruising.

I think the future cost of cruising is definitely going to go up if occupancy needs to drop. That will be unfortunate and honestly the number of cruise lines would decrease. We are a thrifty family by choice and price increases would make us think hard about still cruising.
Yeah. It might be back to cruising down the river on inner tubes for us - back to where we started.

Oh, he's just a doctor - what would he know?

View attachment 551345
Medical and other experts understand their fields. But, they are no more qualified than any of the rest of us at to what our values should be.

So that we can keep this topic on track and related to cruising, I suggest a "Narnia" themed DCL cruise, based on the Disney movie. The following quote is from the author of the books on which that movie is based:

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

C.S. Lewis

I'm all for working from home from here on out. Work was such a cootie farm anyway. I love cars and driving, but I really enjoy not polluting, and not having to put on makeup :rotfl2: It's actually been nice when dealing with obnoxious co-workers during meetings, because I don't have video on. I can roll my eyes all I want and message other co-workers about how ridiculous the meeting is. I actually get a ton more work done too and have time to take a break to exercise at home, walk, or ride bikes during the day. I have always had the ability to work from home some, but companies and bosses never really wanted people doing it too much because some people abuse it.

As for Fauci's statements, I agree somewhat with what he says. A lot of the problems with diseases and natural disasters lately are due to us being out of tune with nature. There's a balance, and nature will always put things in balance when it needs to. It may not have the results we like though. I don't know if his ideas will have on repercussions for cruising, other than the part about limiting the spread of diseases. He's coming from an infectious disease mindset where a lot of these diseases are the result of human interaction with nature gone wrong. There will have to be a balance between daily life and nature. Balance is key, Daniel-san.

I'm all for working from home from here on out. Work was such a cootie farm anyway. I love cars and driving, but I really enjoy not polluting, and not having to put on makeup :rotfl2: It's actually been nice when dealing with obnoxious co-workers during meetings, because I don't have video on. I can roll my eyes all I want and message other co-workers about how ridiculous the meeting is. I actually get a ton more work done too and have time to take a break to exercise at home, walk, or ride bikes during the day. I have always had the ability to work from home some, but companies and bosses never really wanted people doing it too much because some people abuse it.

As for Fauci's statements, I agree somewhat with what he says. A lot of the problems with diseases and natural disasters lately are due to us being out of tune with nature. There's a balance, and nature will always put things in balance when it needs to. It may not have the results we like though. I don't know if his ideas will have on repercussions for cruising, other than the part about limiting the spread of diseases. He's coming from an infectious disease mindset where a lot of these diseases are the result of human interaction with nature gone wrong. There will have to be a balance between daily life and nature. Balance is key, Daniel-san.
Also if there was a way in the US that we could spread out the population more, it would be helpful especially during a pandemic. Perhaps the new work from anywhere policies that are changing will help with that, but will really hurt the larger cities. It isn't a surprise that the larger more densely populated cities in the US are struggling the most with this. There are many other countries that are even more densely populated than the US as well. Also for better or worse the US doesn't take well to heavy restrictions being placed on them, even if for the greater good. Some of the other countries accept the restrictions without question.

As for cruising I hope that we can get back to full ships, but then if a pandemic starts they have a plan to sail at reduced capacity. They can take the lessons learned from this pandemic and apply them during the next so they don't have to have a hard stop like they do now. The only issue I see in the future is determining when a pandemic is going to be a global problem. Sars was supposed to be that and it just disappeared and it is in the same family and Covid 19 and was why there was a lot of hope this was going to do the same early on. These things are very unpredictable and I really hope the vaccines work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!