How do you find a hole in an air mattress

Status
Not open for further replies.

2girlsmomma

Mouseketeer
I have an almost new air mattress that has somehow gotten a slow leak. Believe me, it sucks to wake up with your butt on the ground. I have looked and listened and can't find where it is coming from. I hate to spend another 60 bucks on another one, any tips?

Then how do you repair a hole? Won't it usually be on a seam or on the fuzzy side?

You can repair the fuzzy side, but you have to carefully sand the area around the leak to get the actual vinyl surface for the glue to stick to it. Be careful.

Leaks in the seams can sometimes be fixed by using some seam sealer, which is the same stuff sold for tents to seal up their seams, as they usually do not come from the factory already sealed. I had the same air mattress for years when tent camping, if you took the covers off of it their were patches everywhere, but they held. Seam finally came completely apart and had to retire it...:guilty:

Patching tip: When I was a kid, we had an inflatable boat and the patches never seemed to hold properly...so after applying the patch we would paint a layer of clear nail polish over the patch and 1/4 inch extending beyond the patch. This method always held extremely well. This method also works well for those holes that happen in seams...just be sure to let the polish and the patch adhesive to dry fully.

When you look for holes - use a sponge with the soapy water and apply a dampened soapy sponge to areas that you suspect :-)

I have an almost new air mattress that has somehow gotten a slow leak. Believe me, it sucks to wake up with your butt on the ground. I have looked and listened and can't find where it is coming from. I hate to spend another 60 bucks on another one, any tips?
I would just buy another one. This happened to me our first night at the fort!!! Found the hole and patched it only to wake up night 2 on the hard unforgiving ground. Ended up sleeping in the back seat of the truck.( I woke up so sore and stiff) We ended up at wal mart the next day buying another. Did not enjoy a shopping trip when I should have been enjoying Disney.

Just follow these easy steps, you can find out a hole in an air mattress.
Hey David!
:welcome: to the DIS Boards and the Camping Forum. If you were stumbling around in here and found a 6 year old Ghost Post, you must have an interest in the Fort.

Unless this was one of those "suggested topics" that run across the bottom of the page. I've gotten caught in some of those that I realized were a decade old. Either way.

After 6 years, I'm pretty sure that mattress has developed far too many leaks to worry with.
:D

j

Granted, now these suggestions are still all valid ways to find a leak. Technology hasn't advanced that much since this thread was started.

Wait I'm sure I have mattresses way older than that and I've never had a leak. :)
You own cats? My two have made sure neither of the last two air mattresses I've owned saw their 3rd birthday.

You own cats? My two have made sure neither of the last two air mattresses I've owned saw their 3rd birthday.

Yes 5

:cat:Indy :cat:Jewel:cat:Tank:cat:Neo:cat: and our new now indoor used to be feral porch cat Baby. But we don't take them camping.

And why is there only one cat smilie, 2 or 3 dogs, a bear and a squirrel but 1 cat. Tank is the only one thats close. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Well she never did come back and let us know if she found the leak so maybe she will see this zombie thread and report back :)

You can always fill the mattress with water, where the water is shooting out is the leak. Drain, patch, enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter