How do you deal with sit down eating alone.

I have been to Disney tons of times and have never noticed anybody solo. I just went for a week with my daughter over the 4th of July. This trip, I looked for solo people because I have my upcoming solo trip. I noticed solo travelers for the first time ever and all of them looked happy and content. That’s how I’m going to look when I go in September!!

I booked a solo reservation at Topolinos for my birthday dinner and I am so excited to eat there alone. I will not have to share with my daughter 😂.

OP, you mentioned it wouldn't be until 2023 that you would be going solo. During the next two years, you might develop new friendships and find someone who could join you for the trip. If that doesn't work out, you can also use this forum to find other solo travelers who will be there at the same time as you, and arrange to meet up with them for some of the meals. I've made new friends this way.

I stay away from the bar at restaurants, it tends to become somewhere people go that want to socialize. I've gotten into a couple uncomfortable situations dining at the restaurant bar, men thinking maybe I'd like their company.
Have you had this happen at Disney World? I have eaten at WDW bars many times and never had this happen (maybe it's because I'm old!) but usually other people are with family. I've had some nice bar conversations while dining at Yak & Yeti, Tune-In Lounge at 50's Prime Time, Nomad Lounge, Trader Sam's, and Finnegans at Universal. There are probably some I'm forgetting.

To the OP, I don't do many TS meals, but the ones I have done have been fine. You just have to do it a few times to get used to it.

You are not being ridiculous...it is something to get used to...I recommend starting at a local place at home and getting comfortable with it. I travel for work so got comfortable with it because I had to...i found Disney to be an amazing experience. One of my first solo dinners was at brown derby where I discussed my obsession with the cobb salad and grape fruit cake with my waiter...who brought me the recipe cards. As you get more comfortable you realize, no one is looking at you or if they are, they are jealous...or possibly making up a story about you and you have now become an exotic figure in their vacation. Even when I travel with family, I found myself seeking out table service for a break...I have had amazing meals solo at San Angel inn and chefs de France because I needed an escape. If solo dining is too uncomfortable you can seek out bar service, but I recommend trying it. Keep a phone and a book or tablet to entertain yourself, but chat with your servers and enjoy yourself!
Yes! Don't be shy. I have enjoyed many sit down meals on Disney premises in addition to in the parks. I especially liked the Kona Cafe (Polynesian) and Boma (Animal Kingdom). I find that the seating is comfortable and many times your server will add to the experience and give you additional attention. No one ever made me feel uncomfortable or rushed me out. The responder gave good advice for you to go out alone at home as you will become comfortable. Have fun!

I bookended my trips the last few years solo. Love it! Kids are older and DH is busy. I’ve slowed down and don’t do commando. Even when my family was here, I went out solo while kiddos (and DH) napped.

Had many a meal and no one even looks at you.

Never a bad experience anywhere.

Have you had this happen at Disney World? I have eaten at WDW bars many times and never had this happen (maybe it's because I'm old!) but usually other people are with family. I've had some nice bar conversations while dining at Yak & Yeti, Tune-In Lounge at 50's Prime Time, Nomad Lounge, Trader Sam's, and Finnegans at Universal. There are probably some I'm forgetting.

To the OP, I don't do many TS meals, but the ones I have done have been fine. You just have to do it a few times to get used to it.
While jerks can happen anywhere I will chime in as well that blessedly I haven’t run into any traveling as a solo female at bars at Disney hotels or parks. It’s one of the things I enjoy about traveling at Disney. I don’t doubt for a second people have run into jerks at Disney bars but I wouldn’t be scared off trying a bar at Disney out of that fear.

If you’re not looking to socialize at all definitely avoid bar sitting but if you’re content on your own or making general chit chat a bar at Disney* is one of the safer bars to do so.

*Disney parks or hotels. I have no experience at Disney Springs places

I will add I have never felt unsafe at any Disney bar or restaurant, when I have been hit on, it has been at resort bars but I simply moved away from the person and had no issues. as a woman who travels solo, just be aware of surroundings and if you feel unsafe,leave or alert the bartender. None of my experiences would stop me from dining solo, but this is one reason I prefer to reserve a table as opposed to choosing bar service

I will add I have never felt unsafe at any Disney bar or restaurant, when I have been hit on, it has been at resort bars but I simply moved away from the person and had no issues. as a woman who travels solo, just be aware of surroundings and if you feel unsafe,leave or alert the bartender. None of my experiences would stop me from dining solo, but this is one reason I prefer to reserve a table as opposed to choosing bar service
Fwiw one of my favorite places to grab a drink is Dahlia Lounge at CSR* Tower. They have bar seats but they also have a nice amount of indoor seating and outdoor seating and it’s all pretty seperated so it’s easy to get a drink and enjoy the views/atmosphere on ones own.

*if a convention is in all bets are off. CSR is a popular convention resort and I once encountered a weirdo jerk that was part of a convention there when simply standing in line for bell services 🙄 (Rescued by the bellman I was 🤣 )

I got out to lunch by myself all the time during the week. I'd do that before your trip. It will decrease the awkwardness. And you can always eat at the bar at some locations as well.

I guess the moral of that story is that it might be smart to carry a little card or sign to leave at your table if you have to get up for any reason. Apparently people can forget that solo diners need to use the restroom too, lol.

I've thought about this myself. Many years ago I did a solo trip where I stayed at one of the All-Stars resorts. I had partially finished my meal and got up to refill my drink. By the time I returned (less than two minutes, tops) my table had been cleared! I explained that I had not finished eating, and they replaced the meal. I actually complimented them on the efficiency of their staff. It was briefly frustrating but overall funny.

-make ADRs for however many people you need to in order to snag your reservation. ADRs for 1 are rare. My ADRs generally range from 2-4 people, whatever the lowest party number that gets me the ADR is what I use. Check-in using the app when you arrive for the ADR and adjust the number of diners down to one. This prevents awkward host conversations of “turns out I’m just one today”.

Thank you for the information on that--I wondered if Disney just discriminates against solo diners since ADRs for one seem impossible to find. Do they charge you for the other 2 or 3 "no shows" or do you just get to sit and dine and be charged for one meal??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter