How do you buy resale so low...please help!

The advice I got from another DVC owner (not on the Dis) was to offer $20-$25 below asking for the BWV contracts I was looking at. Also, TSS can be a little snooty about low offers, the other three brokers tend to me a little more receptive (though I learned TSS has to, by law, present every offer you make on a listing of theirs).

I felt the same way. I had made an offer and they basically became rude about things. Didn't hear back until I contacted them 3 days later. They said your offer wasn't accepted and I asked when they put it in. I got "your offer wasn't accepted" I offered more than what they were passing for on here. They also said that it probably wouldn't pass rofr unless it was at that price. I mentioned this site and they said something along the lines of anyone can put that information in. Anyways went with another company and offered even less and got it. Think I saved an extra 1k.

I ran into the same frustration with the brokers. They "advised" that we were offering too low and acted as though we were wasting their time. (They weren't that blatent...that's just how I felt.) BUT, we kept looking at listings on several sites and offering what we wanted. We weren't in a hurry...just waiting for the right contract with motivated sellers. We ended up with an accepted offer and are now waiting to pass ROFR.
Seller asked around $69 for AKV, no previous year points advertised, all of this year points. We offered $55. They countered with $63. We countered with $56 which they accepted. Later we found out that they also had 94 points banked that weren't advertised--bonus! Also that they pay MF monthly and we would only have to pay the remaining of this year's fees-great! It just kept getting better! Honestly, I think those of us poking around on this board are more educated about resales than the brokers. :rolleyes: Just decide what deal is desirable to you and seek it out. Be patient or more willing to negotiate higher if you're not patient.

FYI...my target for BWV was $45, SSR was $50, and AKV was $55. A big reason we are adding on more points at this time is because such great deals can be had. Don't let the brokers bully you.

I ran into the same frustration with the brokers. They "advised" that we were offering too low and acted as though we were wasting their time. (They weren't that blatent...that's just how I felt.) BUT, we kept looking at listings on several sites and offering what we wanted. We weren't in a hurry...just waiting for the right contract with motivated sellers. We ended up with an accepted offer and are now waiting to pass ROFR.
Seller asked around $69 for AKV, no previous year points advertised, all of this year points. We offered $55. They countered with $63. We countered with $56 which they accepted. Later we found out that they also had 94 points banked that weren't advertised--bonus! Also that they pay MF monthly and we would only have to pay the remaining of this year's fees-great! It just kept getting better! Honestly, I think those of us poking around on this board are more educated about resales than the brokers. :rolleyes: Just decide what deal is desirable to you and seek it out. Be patient or more willing to negotiate higher if you're not patient.

FYI...my target for BWV was $45, SSR was $50, and AKV was $55. A big reason we are adding on more points at this time is because such great deals can be had. Don't let the brokers bully you.

Thanks so much to those of you who have bought resale and posted your experiences. We are trying to add on right now and it can be a little frustrating. I know the right contract and seller will come along at some point, so I am definitely not losing hope!

...So, we listed at a price $3 a pt higher than any other listing for VGC against the advice of the Timeshare Store. But, I'm a real estate analyst, and I had nothing to lose. Guess what? -- in 30 days and 3 offers later, a buyer showed up at our price. DH was dying, but I do this for a living (not with timeshares) -- it does take nerves of steel. Since then list prices for VGC have gone up $1 - $2 a pt!

If you really want to buy at prices significantly under list prices, you are going to have to be prepared to do a LOT of legwork. You need to chase every stripped contract, be the first to make an offer and offer on every single one contract that fits your parameters and make sure that you are on every broker's list.

So as a real estate analyst and a recent VGC seller, at what point do you think the resale vs. direct pendulum swings toward direct? Right now, a direct purchase costs $130/pt, with maintenance fees prorated (about $1/pt), no closing costs and the ability to put it on your reward credit card (about $1/pt) for a net cost of $131/pt. Direct includes all 2011 and, if we assume $10/pt, it brings the net cost down to $121.

The resales currently listed are around $97/pt, but buyer pays maintenance fees (about $4), no 2011 points, closing costs ($5/pt) for net cost of $106/pt.

So on a 100 point contract, you are talking about $1,500. I guess it all comes down to the value of the direct benefits and the hassle factor of resale. I just can't imagine the resales climbing much higher as I think the convenience of direct will always command the current 10% premium over resale.

Of course, this only applies to VGC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter