• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How crazy will it be on May 5th?

keagansmom

Mouseketeer
My DH has a conference at the Cypress May 5-9 in Orlando. MY DS and I were thinking about joining him because we will have a free hotel. However, I know this is right at the same time at the 50th celebration launch and I'm concerned about crowds. We're already going to be there in April for a week, so we will have already seen everything. Do you think it will be ok if we just went to AK and Epcot and maybe avoided MK? Or do you think every park will be super crowded?

I'm curious about this, too. I've been watching for threads about May 5th and haven't seen any lately (maybe I just haven't looked hard enough).
Has anyone heard any rumors/facts yet about this day? I know the media will be there in full force, and we plan to avoid MK on the 5th, but what about on the 4th or 6th, and what about the other parks?

I'm sure it will be like nothing we have every seen at WDW before. I am sure that the will play up the entire month of May, which means I will be walking right into it.

But do you think this will affect DW since it's Disneylands 50th? I just don't know. I hope not.

I am curious how it will be affected also. I just moved my trip from the week of passover to the 2nd week in May hoping to avoid large crowds. Of course I will always expect DW to be crowded but was hoping to catch a break since the kids will still be in school. :earboy2:

I really don't think it's going to be that big. I was there for Walt's 100th birthday in 2001 and you would have thought that would have been huge and it wasn't. Michael Eisner and Roy Disney had a little ceremony at MGM and gave out cake. Then the park closed at 3:00 or 4:00 so they could have a private media party. Nothing at Magic Kingdom, where you would have expected it. I haven't heard any advertisements saying that May 5th is "the big day". They are advertising it more as a 18 month celebration starting in May. I don't think they want big crowds on May 5th because they have visiting media and want to cater to them.

the first 2 weeks of May are great times to go. I don't think other than the hardcore are planning trips especially for this time to be there. most people are just happy the new attractions will be open during their scheduled vacation. local passholders down here will have seen the previews by then anyway, and there might be a blurb in the paper about it.

kellymouse.

Actually they are celebrating DL 50th at all of Disney's theme parks around the world starting May 5th and until Oct 2006 (18 months). They are adding atleast 4 new attractions at WDW for the celebration.

This is actually going to be a bigger celebration than Walts 100th, because DL is the park that started it all.

There are several large press events and special events planned -- some during parks hours, some not. Even though the main crux of the celebration will be Disneyland, ALL the Disney parks will be busy on May 5, with press, special guests, VIPs, extra entertainment, and just general chaos. :teeth:

You can expect crowds at MK that come close to levels at Christmas, and those same crowds around new attractions at Epcot and the Studios, although those parks probably won't hit super-high levels overall. Expect long lines for anything new -- the car stunt show, Soarin', Small World, etc -- and expect lots of press set-ups throughout the parks.

The good news is that the crowds won't last. Once 5/5/05 is over, crowd levels should drop pretty quickly, although a lot of the press will likely stay through the weekend.

Don't be fooled by the, "I don't think it'll be that big of a thing." For those of you who generally vacation in early May due to low crowds, you will experience a little bit of what it's like for the Easter and summer folks.

:earsboy:

I have a trip planned for the 2nd week of May (7-14th) - so maybe I should move it out to the 3rd week? I don't mind if there are some crowds around that sat/sun when I arrive but I don't want to be in them in they'll stay the week after the opening party. I figured I'd be hitting more of the Star Wars folks the next weekend but I don't plan on spending much time at MGM in any case.

Hmmmm....... :confused3

We originally planned on going at that time but ended up changing to the week previous. I don't know if that will be to much better since I know a few states have spring break during the last week of April, but I just had a feeling this celebration was going to be big. A lot of times when they have these thing the press bring thier families and make a week of it. Then there are those people who planned on going this week just to be there for the opening of all the new stuff.

Wow-

Well I think we will just avoid MK for the May 5th date. We'll go to AK-- no new rides there. Does anyone know where I can find out any info. on what's going on that day? For example, is there a special parade or anything? Although we will avoid rides and such, if there is a special presentation or something, we might pop over for that. Thanks for all your help! You've given me some great info!

WDSearcher said:
The good news is that the crowds won't last. Once 5/5/05 is over, crowd levels should drop pretty quickly, although a lot of the press will likely stay through the weekend.

Don't be fooled by the, "I don't think it'll be that big of a thing." For those of you who generally vacation in early May due to low crowds, you will experience a little bit of what it's like for the Easter and summer folks.

:earsboy:

I agree. If we keep spreading that it will be off the hook crowded :crowded: , maybe more people will change their trip from the first week of May to some other time. pirate:

The only way May 5th would be "like Christmas crowded" is if Disney starts advertising it as a special day. My bet is they don't because most of the special events will be for invited guests only (the media). It's also a Thursday. It would be more crowded if it was on a weekend.

I don't think it will be as crowded as Christmas or Easter, especially due to May 5th being a school day. Most parents ( I would hope) wouldn't pull their kids out of school so close to the end of the school year. Especially for a trip to WDW. I don't know if this makes a difference to anyone's opinion but "The Unofficial Guide to WDW" doesn't think it will make that much of a difference at WDW as it will Disneyland.

We were at WDW for the media opening of Mission Space, and the debut of Wishes.

The day before at Epcot, security was much tighter, with very long lines to enter. We did not go near Epcot the day of the event. My daughter did get on the local news after riding Mission Space. That was cool. I just wish we had a way to tape it for her.

At MK, I felt the whole week seemed crowded. I don't know, is this was because of Wishes, getting the overflow from Epcot, or the MNSSHP. Prob. all 3

Also, several ABC shows, Wayne Brady, Good Morning America, plus others. Heck- Even the Weather channel broadcasted from Epcot that week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter