How are the pools now? Swimming in winter

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
Headed down next week and wondering how the pool temps are? THe air temps fluctuate between 55 and 70 when we are there it looks like. I was wondering what they keep the pools at and if the pools are busy?!

Pools have always been good in winter time from my experience. Maybe bring a robe or something for after as the cooler air temps can chill you once you get out.

Water feels chilly once you get in,(jump in over slow torture)and then after you are in it you don't want to get out because now the air feels twice as cold:rotfl:

The water isn’t as warm as one would like it to be, my kids were fine jumping into the water in November, but us parents were freezing. If you’re from a cold climate you might be ok with it. What I noticed was more kids swimming and parents watching. Lol

Not sure if pools are heated or not. When I was there in Dec (Riverside) the water felt surprisingly warm and it was a pretty cold week for Florida.

Pools are definitely heated as evidenced by the steam coming off of Surfboard Bay during a cold January morning.:)

32688725691_240390c100_b.jpg

The pools are ALWAYS heated to the same 80ish degrees. Always. (so in summer when it's 95 the pool will feel cold)

The outside air is not. If you're in the water on a COLD day and your neck/head gets wet from a splash, you're going to feel cold when that part of you is out of the water. The rest of you will feel warm, though.

And yes, at some point after our first stay in December 2010 when pools were open as far as I could tell the whole time, they've started closing pool areas when it's in the lower 40s.

What about early November ?
Is that still considered winter weather in Florida ?

It can be cool in early November and it can be warm as well. It is an unpredictable time. If I were to bet, I would say over the course of a week stay it would be warm enough to swim at least some of the days.

Also, what is considered "warm" is different for different people. I live in Florida and think 72 is cool while someone from Canada may think it's a heat wave.

When you say they close the pools sometimes if the temperature drops to the 40s, I'm assuming you mean 40s during the day, not at night?

We were there this past November and swam multiple times. We were lucky and had 80+ temps the whole time. We also went in December acople years ago and had the same weather and got to swim multiple times.

We swam without issue first week in February last year, temps were in the 70s-80s during our stay but definitely cooler at night. We will be there in 11 days and I plan to just live in the hot tub.

How are the resort pools sanitized? With chlorine or some other method?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!