• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hotels with Lazy Rivers for January

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
I posted this question somewhere but I can't seem to find it so maybe I never pressed Post!

I'm helping my brother in law plan a trip to Disney for his son's 10th bday. My nephew is very particular and only wants to go to Epcot and a waterpark that has a lazy river.

I'm thinking that a water park might be overwhelming for him, plus it might be cold! So I'd like to suggest some hotels that have lazy rivers as well. I'm only familiar with Beach Club and Hilton Buena Vista Palace.

Suggestions for hotels? Thanks!

Since you are on the Orlando Hotels sub-forum I assume you are open to offsite hotels.

- Hilton Bonnet Creek is adjacent to Disney property and has a lazy river.
- Hilton Orlando it's sister resort is similar in layout and up by SeaWorld.
- Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek can use the two there but they are very small.

Since you are on the Orlando Hotels sub-forum I assume you are open to offsite hotels.

- Hilton Bonnet Creek is adjacent to Disney property and has a lazy river.
- Hilton Orlando it's sister resort is similar in layout and up by SeaWorld.
- Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek can use the two there but they are very small.
Yes-def open to offsite. Are any of these you listed the same as Signia Hilton Bonnet Creek?

Yes-def open to offsite. Are any of these you listed the same as Signia Hilton Bonnet Creek?
Oh yes, Hilton Bonnet Creek now added the Signia brand to it. It is attached to the Waldorf.

Four Seasons has a lazy river. Beach Club or yacht Club should be your first choice, walk or boat to Epcot.

Edited to add some hotels may close their pools for maintenance January

Last edited:
Orlando World Center Marriott has a newish waterpark area with lazy river. Perhaps one of the better ones of those listed here.

The lazy river at Blizzard Beach water park would be a lot more fun and memorable than a hotel water park if the weather is good.

Unlike the theme parks, you don't need a reservation for the water parks, so you can wait and see on the weather.

No matter the option, have a great time!

Last trip we stayed at a couple of resorts with lazy rivers:

1) Holiday Inn Orange Lake
Huge pool complex with a long, beautiful lazy river (took me 15 mins to swim a lap). You have to pay for their tubes though

2) Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek.
Pretty lazy river - took me maybe 5-7 mins to swim a lap. I *think* tubes are free? (I just grabbed a couple of empty tubes for a float). I didn’t like that the rest of their multiple pools are small though. My young adult son quickly left the pool after a couple of spins on the lazy river.

We have the waterparks add-on to our APs. One day, instead of using the small lazy river next to our room at Bonnet Creek, we drove to Typhoon Lagoon to go for a half hour float on the lazy river just before the park closed for the day. It was worth it. TL is heads and shoulders above what the resorts can offer.

There can be some hot days in January. And then the next day you’re shivering in winter coats.

If your nephew really wants a waterpark, he’ll likely brave whatever cold weather there is.

OP is interested in EPCOT for the benefit of others reading this thread Cabana Bay Resort by Universal has a lazy river. The hotel is adjacent to Volcano Bay. The hotel has a private entrance and security to the water park.

Thanks everyone!!!! Out of all the options he chose Hilton Buena Vista Palace bc he got intrigued by the proximity to Disney Springs since my nephew will love the Lego Store. His first choice was Gaylord but he called them and they said no tubes allowed in their lazy river which would have been a total disappointment for my nephew.

We have Gaylord booked for late December. I wonder if we should be changing things up now reading all of this!!! We have stayed at Orange Lake and do really enjoy their main pool area/lazy river but didn’t want to pay for tubes.

One day we will try Discovery Cove. It’s pricey (as is everything else!)

Thanks all!

Thanks everyone!!!! Out of all the options he chose Hilton Buena Vista Palace bc he got intrigued by the proximity to Disney Springs since my nephew will love the Lego Store. His first choice was Gaylord but he called them and they said no tubes allowed in their lazy river which would have been a total disappointment for my nephew.

We have Gaylord booked for late December. I wonder if we should be changing things up now reading all of this!!! We have stayed at Orange Lake and do really enjoy their main pool area/lazy river but didn’t want to pay for tubes.

One day we will try Discovery Cove. It’s pricey (as is everything else!)

Thanks all!
HBVP has a great pool area, the nicest at Disney Springs and nicer than most Disney hotels. Location is also a huge plus!

FYI on Discovery Cove many don't realize:
- All water except the "resort pool" and lazy river are very cold water.
- The lazy river has NO tubes but you can take a noodle they have around.
- The lazy river runs very fast and is deep in most of it. Swimming is required.
- Wetsuits or Vests must be worn at all times in the water, even the resort area and lazy river.
- They do have life jackets of all sizes.

Gaylord has been on my radar for more than 2 years. I really REALLY want to see their property. But the reviews about:
--service
--quiet
--add-on charges
have been very negative, and it seems like poolside enjoyment there comes at a high cost. I STILL am intrigued, but poor service for a high price seems stupid.

The Gaylord lazy river sounds more like a rapid-moving river than lazy. They don't allow tubes, so what is the point of it? Just a bunch of people being washed around a track? I still am intrigued, and if someone offered me a free stay I would be there in a split-second. But... with all the negative reviews of Gaylord Orlando, I would feel like a sucker if I booked there.

Maybe in a couple years, things will change and I would feel confident booking there. (cuz I really would like to see the property)

Gaylord has been on my radar for more than 2 years. I really REALLY want to see their property. But the reviews about:
--service
--quiet
--add-on charges
have been very negative, and it seems like poolside enjoyment there comes at a high cost. I STILL am intrigued, but poor service for a high price seems stupid.

The Gaylord lazy river sounds more like a rapid-moving river than lazy. They don't allow tubes, so what is the point of it? Just a bunch of people being washed around a track? I still am intrigued, and if someone offered me a free stay I would be there in a split-second. But... with all the negative reviews of Gaylord Orlando, I would feel like a sucker if I booked there.

Maybe in a couple years, things will change and I would feel confident booking there. (cuz I really would like to see the property)
I’ll report back after our trip if we wind up keeping that stay! We are using Marriott points and it’s actually lower than we thought so giving it a shot.

Beach Club or yacht Club should be your first choice, walk or boat to Epcot.

Stormalong Bay lazy river is a converted koi pond, so it's small and awkward and no views, and ridiculously deep and not a very good experience all around. These sound like silly problems until you realize you can't push yourself along. It's why there's usually not many people in the lazy river part, it's just not that good. Tubes are free, but they're huge and difficult to maneuver. And SAB is technically heated, but I found it too cold in February.

Stormalong Bay lazy river is a converted koi pond, so it's small and awkward and no views, and ridiculously deep and not a very good experience all around. These sound like silly problems until you realize you can't push yourself along. It's why there's usually not many people in the lazy river part, it's just not that good. Tubes are free, but they're huge and difficult to maneuver. And SAB is technically heated, but I found it too cold in February.
the OP was interested in EPCOT and a resort with a lazy river. BC YC hits both.

I think most hotel lazy rivers are lacking if not lame. Universal has 2 or 3 resorts walling distance of Volcano Bay. Not for OP but good for others

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter