Hot! How to keep cool ...

I know you've already taken care of it, OP, just chiming in about the awesomeness of cooling towels. We've twice done WDW in early August, once with a 6 month old whose temp/hydration we had to track carefully, and those helped so much. We'd dunk them in cold water and tie them around our heads. Looking like pirates was an extra bonus. :)

We've been using cooling towels, and keeping hydrated, and over visiting the various shops. We also came back to the hotel around 1:30, when it was 102 already; at one point it was 107! Heading back out early evening today closer to sun set, when it should go down some, and trying to strategize about MHP tomorrow; more than likely we're not going to the toon town pre-party!

One thing I wasn't expecting was how hot I would be in DL. As a WDW Vet I was excited about Cali because everyone talks about the beautiful weather! But for me it was kind of a drawback because DL has a lot of outdoor queues and virtually no clouds in the sky so when the sun beams it BEAMS! lol. What we did was to try and go into as many shops and indoor rides as we could. Even if a ride had a longer line we didn't mind if the queue was indoors. We drank lots of water and dressed for the weather.

Thank you for all the suggestions We arrive tomorrow! Got our mister out yesterday and it is broken - dang. No chance of finding another one here in Wisconsin in October! But the umbrella is a great idea and I ran and got cooling towels last night.

Thank you for all the suggestions We arrive tomorrow! Got our mister out yesterday and it is broken - dang. No chance of finding another one here in Wisconsin in October! But the umbrella is a great idea and I ran and got cooling towels last night.
They sell blue motorized mister fans at in the parks. They work pretty well, we've used ours quite a bit.

They sell blue motorized mister fans at in the parks. They work pretty well, we've used ours quite a bit.

Yes they sell in park. They also sell now in the parks the cooling towels. However here are my cons of the disney spray bottle/fans so you are aware. I took some pics of one of ours so you get an idea of the issues and size.
1. The lanyard has "sharp" edges of velcro where it rests on your neck. -
Not painful but really annoying, and gets more annoying as the day goes by, and even annoyinger as it gets hotter(which is when you eed it) so maybe wrap that part in some cloth or medical tape or something.
2. The little fill cap tends to leak. -
So be aware of this, you don't want to be like me and have it hanging on your neck, resting in your lap on a ride, only to realize after you get off the ride that it looks like you pee'd your pants. I was going to try some silicone or something(on my "to do someday" list)

3. Its kind of heavy when full. -

Not super heavy but it becomes an albatross around your neck adter an hour or so. I just left it half to 1/4 full and refilled as needed at drinking fountains/starbucks.

FYI,
If you are staying offsite and are near a CVS/Rite Aid etc may want to check in there fir a cheaper and smaller one.

Attachments

• IMG_7661.JPG
    IMG_7661.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7662.JPG
    IMG_7662.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7663.JPG
    IMG_7663.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Yes they sell in park. They also sell now in the parks the cooling towels. However here are my cons of the disney spray bottle/fans so you are aware. I took some pics of one of ours so you get an idea of the issues and size.
1. The lanyard has "sharp" edges of velcro where it rests on your neck. -
Not painful but really annoying, and gets more annoying as the day goes by, and even annoyinger as it gets hotter(which is when you eed it) so maybe wrap that part in some cloth or medical tape or something.
2. The little fill cap tends to leak. -
So be aware of this, you don't want to be like me and have it hanging on your neck, resting in your lap on a ride, only to realize after you get off the ride that it looks like you pee'd your pants. I was going to try some silicone or something(on my "to do someday" list)

3. Its kind of heavy when full. -

Not super heavy but it becomes an albatross around your neck adter an hour or so. I just left it half to 1/4 full and refilled as needed at drinking fountains/starbucks.

FYI,
If you are staying offsite and are near a CVS/Rite Aid etc may want to check in there fir a cheaper and smaller one.

We have been using ours for a year now and never had the cap leak. Maybe yours is defective? They might replace if so. Wanted to chime in that I've tried a smaller/lighter version (not Disney) and it was terrible... didn't work at all and fell apart. I agree that the blue one from Disney is heavy and big but it also works really well!

We have been using ours for a year now and never had the cap leak. Maybe yours is defective? They might replace if so. Wanted to chime in that I've tried a smaller/lighter version (not Disney) and it was terrible... didn't work at all and fell apart. I agree that the blue one from Disney is heavy and big but it also works really well!

Unfortunately both leak. Its fine if i keep pressing the lid down and am cognizant of it, which is why I mentioned it to the other poster. But it seems to loosen after a while, probably from getting bumped around while hanging from my neck.looking at the cap its a really thin foam, and the lid it has some wiggle room(both of ours and every one I checked) and i actually bought one at DL and one at WDW. Same thing. I was thinking maybe putting some silicone grease or something on it(i have for plumbing). I'm just too lazy. Was pretty funny, not funny when it looked like I pee'd. Had to hold my backpack in front of me for an hour or so, lol.

Thanks everyone, I know I may be over reacting, but I hate being hot, and my DD has body temperature regulation issues that can leave her easily exhausted ... so it being so hot while we're there is making me a little grumpy/paranoid/concerned/panicked.

Animation Academy Building is a great place to beat the heat. You could spend a couple of hours in there.

Also, go see a movie in DTD, followed by a late lunch or early dinner. You will be out of the heat and in air conditioned buildings for a while. There are many restaurants in DTD that do take ressies, so you can pick a movie and make ressies and enjoy your afternoon. You will be ready to hit the parks in the early evening.

Where I live, I'm used to heat with humidity... the heat is always accompanied by humidity. So to me, the CA dry heat feels so much different. During my August trip when temps were similar to what they are right now, trying to stay in the shade was very helpful. To me, the sun feels like a heat lamp, so staying out of it really helps you feel cooler. Spray fans also really help. Light coloured clothing is a must...stay away from black tshirts. Dark rides gave great relief too! We rode Pirates and Little Mermaid MANY times!

Is this trend supposed to end soon? We're coming in the first week of November & hope it isn't hot then. I thought late fall would be cool in California...

Is this trend supposed to end soon? We're coming in the first week of November & hope it isn't hot then. I thought late fall would be cool in California...

It's pretty normal to be super hot here in the month of October. Looks like we are going to cool off after Halloween... first week in November is currently predicted to be in the 70s. Thank god!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter