• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hoop Dee Doo - which show to attend?

I am glad this tread has been helpful to you - It has helped me a lot. I love disboards, I'm totally hooked!

Dizzy over Disney - Check out the thread posted by disney super mom (its on pg 1 of this thread) this one helped me decide between Cat. 2 and 3.

I do believe Cat 2 would still be available for our last night at Disney, but I would be afraid we would get stuck Under the balcony and those do not seem like great seats. If I could be guaranteed to sit front in center in the balcony cat 2 seats I would go for it - I just do not think they could honor such a request?

However, this show has got to be awesome no matter when you go or where you sit if they are serving wine in mason jars! :cool1:

There is nothing wrong with Cat. 3 seating. I have sat in all cats (more than once) and I actually like 3 the best. There is a nice balcony view of the show, the entertainers do go upstairs to interact, you can actually hear the people your sitting with if you want to talk to them. If the last night of your trip is what works best for you, do it. There is too much hype on sitting in cat 1 seats.

We've done the 5 and 7 shows. Always sit in Cat.2 and LOVED it. I'm not sure there is a "BAD" seat in the place. However we've never been in the balcony before. But the show and food are just Wonderful. It's our DD's favorite thing in WDW. As for doing the late show, only you know how your little one could handle it. Our first DD would have NO problem w/ it when she was that small. She's our Rockstar...Party all night sleep all day! Our little DD NO WAY. She is very much a routine girl. Even though she wouldn't make a fuss about being there so would be impossible the next day. We took he rto the 7:15 show and it worked out great. She feel asleep on the bus ride back to the resort just like it was her normal bed time! So really you would need to decide if your little one could handle it. Keep in mind the ride back to your resort after the show as well. I would go w/ an earlier show. We are doing the 5pm show this year w/ our kids DD 10, DD 2, DD 4 months

I am glad this tread has been helpful to you - It has helped me a lot. I love disboards, I'm totally hooked!

Dizzy over Disney - Check out the thread posted by disney super mom (its on pg 1 of this thread) this one helped me decide between Cat. 2 and 3.

I do believe Cat 2 would still be available for our last night at Disney, but I would be afraid we would get stuck Under the balcony and those do not seem like great seats. If I could be guaranteed to sit front in center in the balcony cat 2 seats I would go for it - I just do not think they could honor such a request?

However, this show has got to be awesome no matter when you go or where you sit if they are serving wine in mason jars! :cool1:

we sat under the balcony on our last trip. It was wonderful. The characters interacted w/ us more sitting there. I think it was because there was more room. But who knows it's always a great time at the HDDR!!!:lovestruc

I don't think what category of seating you choose matters as much as it probably seems. I think you are absolutely making the right decision in seeing the 5 p.m. show. Even though you could have theoretically had the "best" seats at the 9:30 performance, I think that's simply too late for young children, especially on a travel day.

If I had to give a recommendation, I would probably suggest going with the Category 3 seating. But like I said before, it probably doesn't matter much.

Well - I am almost 100% certain we are going to attend the 5:00 show. Now to do Cat. 2 or 3?:confused3

Seems like it might be good no matter what? I do know that I am looking forward to the show even more after hearing how much everyone else has enjoyed it on their previous visits

It is possible that the kids might get a better view from the balcony, but I think it usually works as you can shift around a bit.

If not already mentioned, I don't think they bring in special buses at the 5:00 show to take you back to your resort. If you weren't thinking about heading right back, no problem; and probably not a big deal regardless as the regular FW tansportation is not that bad. Enjoy!

We will be doing the 9:30pm show on our 1st day of arrival. Three reasons for picking the 9:30pm show.

First, I have not booked flights yet so really do not know what time we will get to WDW but most likely around 4-6pm. I didn't want to be rushed trying to get to an earlier show.

Second, I liked the idea of CAT 1 on DP for our first time at HDDR. I know all seats are fairly decent.

Third and main reason, We are from the west coast. 9:30pm is only 6:30pm here. For our first night our stomachs will still be on west coast time! 6:30pm is perfect for dinner time our first night. We will have one 9yr girl with us but she is a night owl!

We were in Cat 3 last time (balcony) ... Your back is to the room during your meal. Then to see the show, you have to turn your chair to face the stage. They have a row of tables and you all sit on one side, this leaves the other side open for the servers.

Great view of the stage and entertainment but a bit disconnected from the food. It was hard to continue eating during the show ... you needed to either face your food (back to the room) or face the stage/room.

As stated before, we were in Cat 1 and loved it. Cat 3, not so much and will try for a different category for future visits (but would accept Cat 3 if that was all that was available for the 5:00 show). We are in Cat 2 in Sept so will see how that goes. We are on the DP and going to the 5:00 show so are not able to do Cat 1.

Bottom line my recommendation stands that your first priority should be the time of the show, because you will have a good seat for the show regardless of where you sit.

That is disappointing to hear about Cat. 3 seating. The view would seem great, but to not be able to eat and watch the show at the same time could be a little frustrating. It still sounds like the show is well worth going to.

Okay... I am embarrassed to say.. but I throughly confused now :scared1:

After reading this post.... I should go for Category 2, correct? I don't want to go to a 930 show... 715 is a perfect time.. so Category 2? I am not fond of the whole back to the show and food thing.. so 3 is out....

When I make my ADRs .. online... will it ask me which one or will it just go by times?

thank you all who gave information here!

Okay.. so I just played around with the online aDRs .... it gave me a choice for Category 1, 2, or 3 for the 715 show.... so now...

because of the dining plan.. it doesnt matter which I choose... which is better .. 1 or 2?

When I made our ADRs I booked a 5:00 show realizing that I'd have a cat. 2 or 3. We are a family of 4 and quite frankly I'd rather have a table for 4 on the balcony. We like the shows but I don't really need to be right in the mix of it all. We booked a 5:00 show thinking we'd leave and head over to the camp fire with Chip & Dale and S'mores, then stay and watch the movie. So, am I missing something and do I need to rebook this. Also, can I call Disney Dining and add that I'd like a balcony seat for my family?

Okay.. so I just played around with the online aDRs .... it gave me a choice for Category 1, 2, or 3 for the 715 show.... so now...

because of the dining plan.. it doesnt matter which I choose... which is better .. 1 or 2?

I am with you - But I am pretty sure on the dining plan you can only get Cat. 1 seating at the 9:30 show. I thought I wanted to sit Cat 3 in the balcony but with our back to the action is this really the best thing? Are there more people that can comment on this? :confused: Cat. 2 seating is not available for our evening and I have learned from this post that I do not want to do the 9:30 show with my kids.

When I made our ADRs I booked a 5:00 show realizing that I'd have a cat. 2 or 3. We are a family of 4 and quite frankly I'd rather have a table for 4 on the balcony. We like the shows but I don't really need to be right in the mix of it all. We booked a 5:00 show thinking we'd leave and head over to the camp fire with Chip & Dale and S'mores, then stay and watch the movie. So, am I missing something and do I need to rebook this. Also, can I call Disney Dining and add that I'd like a balcony seat for my family?

I would also like to know if you can request the balcony section of Cat.2. But with a family of 5 I am not sure if that is even possible. I never thought of doing the campfire after the HDDR - thanks for the great idea :yay:

We've been in the balcony 2 or 3 times and I love it. Less crowded, you get a perfect view of everything and you don't have other tables around you. Basically it's just one row of tables up against the railing.

We have always had show cast members come up there and interact.

We're planning on HDDR for our Christmas Trip and will most likely do th 5:00 show in Cat. 3. Then we'll do some looping to see the Christmas decorations, watch the Electrical Parade and Holiday Wishes from the beach. :thumbsup2

I am confused - Are the Cat. 3 balcony seats against the railing or the wall? There was a previous post about having to move away from your food/table to see the action when sitting in cat. 3. Then I think someone commented about the tables being against the railing. If the later is the case I would not feel as torn about sitting in cat. 3. Even though I am still confused the information has most definately been helpful!!! Thank you to everyone for their comments :goodvibes

The railing...With my apologies to the Hill family, I found this side-view balcony pic on the net:

http://family.webshots.com/album/557646336OfKLpU

Something like 30 years ago I sat behind the spot light operator in the balcony in the back of the theater. As I recall (please correct me), the tables in the back are regular tables (not one-sided).

A view from the back: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/photos/hoop-dee-doo-1.jpg

Nice shot of the stage from side balcony: http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/data/500/medium/98768Copy_of_100_5190.JPG

Another balcony shot from the back: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Gkke3F9RTR0/SDrRagmOeUI/AAAAAAAAQww/5IkpHG7qBMY/s640/wdw 2008 247.jpg

Cat 2 shot (she was our server!): http://zannaland.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/HDDcake.jpg

Thanks so much for all the input. It sounds to me like I can't go wrong with Cat 1 or 3 as far as entertainment goes. I think we will stay with our original plan of going on our last night with at Cat 3 seat.

have a great time, it is a fun show and the food is YUMMY! :wizard:

We booked a 5:00 show thinking we'd leave and head over to the camp fire with Chip & Dale and S'mores, then stay and watch the movie.

We went over to the campfire to see what it was all about on our last visit. Never again in September! The idea of roasting marshmellows and making Smores around a campfire when we were sweating like crazy in Floridas hot and sticky heat was not good! Unless we have an unsual cold night this Sept. trip we won't bother with the campfire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter