Hoop Dee Doo - which show to attend?

momdisfan

Mouseketeer
I need help deciding which HHDR show to attend on our upcoming Disney vacation. We are a family of five: DH, DD 15, DS 7, DS 3. We have never attended this show and are really looking forward to it. We are on the dining plan and I did not realize that Cat. 1 seating can only be used at the 9:30 show. So here are my options:

1. Cat. 1/9:30 seating, first night of our trip. We fly into MCO around 3:15. I am thinking my kids will be really excited about being at Disney so they might be able to handle the late show. However, I do not want to exhaust them before our trip even begins. The next day is going to be a resort day so they will be able to sleep in. not an easy decision

2. Cat 2/7:15 seating, middle of our trip. The next day we were thinking of doing EMH at MK, but not 100% sure.

3. Cat 3/5:00 seating, last night of our trip. This was the original day that I wanted to do HDDR. However, once I found out Cat. 1 could only be used at 9:30 I am torn. This is the best day but not the best Cat seating.

As you can see I am totally unsure what to do. HELP :confused3

We are celebrating my DH birthday at HDDR. I am hoping he gets chosen from the audience to participate in the show. I am not sure if the show/seating might increase my chances of him getting chosen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated – Thanks
:)

We've been seated in Cat 1 and it was fun being in the middle of the action; however, to eat that much food any later than the 5:00 pm showing would be pushing it; especially for a young one.

So my vote is to pick the "time" that is better for you and either pay OOP for Cat 1 or just go with the category that you can use with the dining plan.

I always do Cat 1 at the 5 o'clock show.
We love Cat 1.and love going to the first show.
Looking at the choices I would still go with the first show.
Have a Magical Time.

Thanks so much! I never thought about it from the meal point of view. I guess I was forgetting about the meal and focusing on the entertainment. But that is just as important. Is there interaction with guests in the balcony?

We chose Cat.1 at 9:30pm & LOVED it!!! :love: We are hooked from now on. We were front & center, 2nd table from the stage. I can't imagine sitting anywhere else ;) Florida is one hour ahead of us, so it was really like we were eating at 8:30. We ate a big, late breakfast & a light snack that afternoon. We were pretty hungry when it was time to go to HOOP. We definitely slept in the next day & took it easy. Not sure how your 3yo would do that late, but my DS6 & DD9 were great.

PS--Yes, the characters do go up in the balcony. They travel all throughout the restaurant, so the only downfall to the balcony would be getting stuck where you can't see so well.

Our first time at the HDDR we had Cat. 1 for a 9:30 show. It was a little late so I probably wouldn't recommend that late especially with little kids. Next time we did Cat. 1 at 7:30 show and that was great. This year we are going with Cat. 2 at 5:00 show. I do agree with PP that the 5:00 show is probably best for the little ones but anywhere you sit it is a blast!

Funny we prefer the 7:15 show. We do a short day at AK, then back to the resort to rest up. Take a shower, get refreshed. Meal wise we do a good breakfast (buffet), light lunch, and a snack. This holds everyone over to the show. 7:15pm has never been too late for us. First time I took DD and DS they were 7 and 5yo. They are now 17 and 15 and still enjoy this time. And honest to God they always request the Cat 3. Prefer it to the rest, and we have sat all over the place.

Enjoy your show!!

We always do the 5pm show as the kids get cranky if we are waiting until 7 or later to eat. I would definitely not do 9:30 with the ages of your kids. I have only sat in Cat 1 so I can't comment on cat 3. The performers do move around the room and upstairs quite a bit so it really doesn't seem like there are any bad seats in the house. Enjoy!!

We always do Category 1: 9:30pm...Its fantastic and typically not a full house. Having said that it is late and usually there are more couples/adults than kids. You said you are with the kids so I would recommend Category 2 with an earlier show.

#3!! We always to HDDR the last night of our trip.. good way to end it! And personally, I think all of the Categories are the same. I've sat in all 3 and they're all great!

We always do the 930 show...it gives us time to enjoy the day without rushing to get there. It does take awhile and we always take our car to fort wilderness n then the internal buses. My kids dont mind being up late so it works for us. My DD was 5 her first time and my DS was 4 his first time there. It also allows for a little nap before you go when you do the late show. It really depends on how your little one is on late nights! Good luck with your decision. This year will be our first Cat 1 and I'm excited...although the show can be seen well from anywhere.

I would only do category 1 or category 3 seating. Category 2 just isn't worth it. We sat at a table in the very back of the main floor, right next to the entry doors and the stairway leading up to the balcony, and although we did enjoy the show from this location, we definitely felt removed from the experience.

Here is a thead I started describing our experience with category 2 and asking about category 3 seating.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2460039

Thanks so much for all the input. It sounds to me like I can't go wrong with Cat 1 or 3 as far as entertainment goes. I think we will stay with our original plan of going on our last night with at Cat 3 seat.

The earliest show is a must for young ones. We HAD to take our older grandkids one yr and when they say 9:30 they don't mean 9:29. We enjoyed the food and the fun but it was late. Any category to me is fine. I think everyone feels a part.:woohoo:

We did Cat. 1 seating for the last showing of the night. We were told by the CM out front that our assigned seats were GREAT. "You're right next to the piano player", she said enthusiastically. Let me tell you, I would've very much preferred to be a Cat. 2 or 3. Cat. 3 sit on the second floor, which looks down onto the stage. The tables are single file (at least from what I could see) so everyone still has a great view of the stage. And, the actors did run upstairs during the performance. So, Cat. 3 seating is fine, IMO. Matter of fact, I'm doing the HDDR again in June, with my mom and we are going Cat. 3, 7:15 show.

With the Cat. 1, it's nearly impossible to have any side conversation, at all. I felt like I was literally on stage and had to worry about things like getting up to use the restroom. I didn't like Cat. 1.

Now I am in complete confusion!! I made an ADR this morning for cat 2 for a 5pm HDDR. I have to do 5pm because I think it is best for my kids (6yr, 4yr, 2yr), however now I am unsure if I should switch to cat 3. I thought the kids would be more a part of it on the main floor. I am going to have DH read the posts and look at the pics from the other post and help me make this decision. These ADRS are stressful!!:confused3

Thanks for all the info though, especially the pics on the other thread...very helpful.

Now I am in complete confusion!! I made an ADR this morning for cat 2 for a 5pm HDDR. I have to do 5pm because I think it is best for my kids (6yr, 4yr, 2yr), however now I am unsure if I should switch to cat 3. I thought the kids would be more a part of it on the main floor. I am going to have DH read the posts and look at the pics from the other post and help me make this decision. These ADRS are stressful!!:confused3

Thanks for all the info though, especially the pics on the other thread...very helpful.
I feel your pain. I had my DH read all the post and look at the other thread tonight and I think both of us feel 5:00 Cat 3 is best for our family. ADRs are VERY stressful, but very worth it once you are in the world!

Believe me, you will enjoy it no matter where you end up. There are pros and cons to all the seating categories. Don't stress over it and believe me, I'm a total Type A, planner.

The atmosphere is so fun. There are mason jars for drinking glasses (I think for the wine too) and the cornbread is to die for!

We have always done Cat 1 Front and Center and loved it. But as others have said the cast does circulate throughout the hall. They try to engage everyone. It is a great show with really good food. I think you will love it.
To the OP I definitely would NOT do the HDDR on your arrival day. It will be a long day with travel and you will be surprised at how tired everyone will be. I think you would start off your vacation exhausted, and that is not what you want.
I think your last night sounds like fun. It will be a fun way to end your trip.
Although I think you have pretty much decided, based on the posts here, that you do not want Cat 2 seating, wouldn't that also be available to you on your last night if you chose it?

I am so glad I found this post. We are going to Hoop Dee Doo for the first time this year and I had no clue about the seating!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter