Honey! We are leaving them at home!

I don't see what the big deal is about bringing phones or not. If you have them with you, control yourself by not using it when at dinner, in a show, etc. We always have our iPhones with us and use them as our camera, video recorder, ADR tracker, a way to keep in touch with family at home that we miss and wish were with us, a means of connection in case of emergency with our dog sitter or family, and soon a way to fast pass rides. If you don't feel as though you have the self control to put the phone away, then leave it at home I guess. But bringing them into the parks is not quite the horrible thing a lot of people make it out to be. To each their own.

I would definitely set rules if I did have individuals joining us on our vacation who are glued to their phones. And yes, if they abused the rules I would lock up the phone. I do know some parents use the phone as a locator of family member so this can be a life saver also.

We always bring our phones due to conveniences. We like to use them to make reservations :cool1:, check on information about new or never seen attractions or rides ::yes::, and we love the couple apps for planning out our day :thumbsup2. I also have a great Android that takes some great video and pictures so it eliminated having to carry a camera.:goodvibes

We planned on going to MK princess:on a vacation around the holidays one year and found out via the app that MK was at capacity so we decided to go to AK instead which was ironically quiet :). I also one time sent my dear hubby to get fast passes while I waited on line for a ride and the line all of a sudden started to cruise and he could not find me. He texted me and found me easily :thumbsup2.

ErinsMommy said:
We'll have ours with us so we can call each other if we get separated. :)

Yeah, I'd never feel comfortable without my phone but I'm not a person who talks on it constantly. Besides, I need to be able to use the Disney Parks app while I'm there!

nkereina said:
I don't see what the big deal is about bringing phones or not. If you have them with you, control yourself by not using it when at dinner, in a show, etc. We always have our iPhones with us and use them as our camera, video recorder, ADR tracker, a way to keep in touch with family at home that we miss and wish were with us, a means of connection in case of emergency with our dog sitter or family, and soon a way to fast pass rides. If you don't feel as though you have the self control to put the phone away, then leave it at home I guess. But bringing them into the parks is not quite the horrible thing a lot of people make it out to be. To each their own.

Exactly! To each their own! But make no mistake about it. Families are spending way more time consumed with the electronics they have in front of them instead of the family around them. We were just there in December. It was quite obvious.

And just to make this clear I am not debating here. I just wanted to share what we did and how it worked for us. That's all.

Bottom line is that there is no turning back. Smart phones are definitely here to stay. What's going is the one on one interaction people have with each other.

I'll never leave my phone at home because once, having one, allowed me to quickly recover from a problem that would have derailed us.

It was our first day in the park and we realized that we forgot the sunscreen in the car, faced with the choice of going back to the car later to reapply or paying Disprices and getting on with our day, we chose the later and I went to pay and my card was declined. We used my wife's card to pay and I quickly got on the phone. Apparently my travel notification was never properly entered and the computer system was going to be down for the next hour. So, not only was my card going to be declined, I had no way to fix the issue without calling back in an hour. I set an alarm (on vibrate) on my phone and we went about our day. An hour later, I made my call while walking to the Haunted Mansion and it was all cleared up by the time I got in line.

Things go wrong. Having a good tool to fix things is essential to solid vacation planning. That said, I've seen people who have this terminal FOMO disease and cannot stop checking their phone. If I was one of those people, yes, I would leave it at home...OR consider picking up a cheap "dumb phone" for emergency uses.

I will be bringing my phone and so will DH. We normally need them to call each other in the parks. And how else would I post pictures on Facebook so everyone will know what a wonderful time we are having or check in at various locations so people will know our every move? Just kidding, of course!!
My kids do not have phones so that is not an issue. DD1 has an iTouch but she won't be bringing it.

Well we did it.

We went to Disney World and we left our phones at home! And it was Awesome!!! We are going back next December and we will be leaving the phones at home again.

Kudos to you! We are some of those people who are glued to our iphones too much. I think I may have to set a rule for myself on our next trip to bring the phone on vacation with us, but leave it in the room safe while going into the parks. I like to carry as little as possible in the parks anyway, so this might work out well for me. A pre-determined rendezvous point is a time-tested tool that could certainly be put to use. I can't hear anything on the phone in the parks anyway.

Somehow that plan where to meet up never seems to work for us. Either one of us wasn't listening and went someplace else, or one was late and the other moved onto the next gift shop, got the name wrong of where to meet, a parade cut us off, something it seemed all the time.

Nope. Even though I was raised in the time of no cells, and my parents actually did let me wonder off from them to explore theme parks, the fair, the mall and the neighborhood by myself and with my friends and we all survived, it's not going to happen now that I DO have the ability to have that phone on me and to use the resources that it provides.

If my nephews get seperated from me in a large croweded place, I want them to call my phone, so I can find them. Or I want to be able to track them using their devise. Or if I need to get a map I can, or if there's a medical emergency I want to be able for my family or friends to contact me or for me to contact them.

I might consider taking my phone and putting it in the safe or maybe keeping it on me but turning it off until there was an emergency where I would need it. Don't get me wrong I love my smartphone (just upgraded from my basic net capable phone to an iphone) and I use it ALOT. But I also have no problem turning it down, off, or leaving it in my bag when I need to do something else.

But no I would not leave it at home, I like knowing that it's there just in case.

I don't think it's bad that someone does want to leave them at home and I know in some cases it would take that level of isolation, but I wouldn't.

This is what we do - that way you have it in case, but don't have it in the parks :thumbsup2 Vacation is for vacation and we don't need a phone with us to keep in touch with our kids at the park (we don't allow them to wander alone and besides we only have 1 cell phone - shockers!!!)
Glad to hear you had a great and "unplugged" vacay my fellow Canuck!

Melodious said:
Somehow that plan where to meet up never seems to work for us. Either one of us wasn't listening and went someplace else, or one was late and the other moved onto the next gift shop, got the name wrong of where to meet, a parade cut us off, something it seemed all the time.

Hahaha that's why you need a back up rendezvous point. Ours was always the last place we saw each other. Worked like a charm. :)

i let my kids bring phones..but have same rules at disney as it is at home ....no using phones during eating times. homework ..and at disney.. limited use...its family time..no need for a phone..and since i work at home and use it frequently.. I refuse to bring mine..Im on vacation dont need it.keep me away from work!!..FP+ will be done before i go, so no worries there...I personally get tired of hearing conversations on phones everywhere i go...especially at disney... theatres.. restaurants..etc.. I never make or answer calls in restaurants or theatres..if its an actual emergency.. i will pick it up and leave the area and not ruin it for others who dont care about my conversation...ok im done venting.

I think that is great! When we went on our Mexican Riveria Cruise last year and were forced to shutdown our phones so we wouldnt be dinged the international rates and it was the best trip. No facebook, texting, work distractions. We gave our extended family the ship phone number and stateroom incase of emergencies. It honestly made for a better trip.

Glad it worked out for you!

Our smartphones are coming with us when DW and I go down in 9 days - just the two of us. Need to have some way for the kids to get ahold of us if there is an emergency and besides - Lines, DMM and DME apps are on 'em....

But that's just not us - glad that we all have choices!!

It's time people start sticking up for family values again.

Having your phone with you does not mean you lack in family values.:rolleyes: Someone being rude to grandma with phone in hand would be rude to grandma without a phone too.

We take ours, there is no way I would go without them. As a larger group with only one non-teenager, we do split up at times. And having phones make it easier to hook back up. Yes you can designate a meeting place, but with a phone you don't have to. You can say 'I'm right by the Stitch ride walking towards the Castle". Easy.

If someone wants to leave their phones home, that is fine. Their choice. But it does not make your vacation somehow better or more family oriented than those of the people who have their phones. And this thread has a bunch of posts that smack of just that. Phoneless Vacation Superiority.

maxiesmom said:
Having your phone with you does not mean you lack in family values.:rolleyes: Someone being rude to grandma with phone in hand would be rude to grandma without a phone too.

We take ours, there is no way I would go without them. As a larger group with only one non-teenager, we do split up at times. And having phones make it easier to hook back up. Yes you can designate a meeting place, but with a phone you don't have to. You can say 'I'm right by the Stitch ride walking towards the Castle". Easy.

If someone wants to leave their phones home, that is fine. Their choice. But it does not make your vacation somehow better or more family oriented than those of the people who have their phones. And this thread has a bunch of posts that smack of just that. Phoneless Vacation Superiority.

Why the need to feel so defensive?

Nobody is saying that taking your phone to a park automatically diminishes your level of family values. Are you kidding me? Thousands of people take their phones to the parks and have great family time. And nobody from what I have read here displayed any superiority complexes over other people.

Phoneless Vacation Superiority... Good one though.

Why the need to feel so defensive?

Nobody is saying that taking your phone to a park automatically diminishes your level of family values. Are you kidding me? Thousands of people take their phones to the parks and have great family time. And nobody from what I have read here displayed any superiority complexes over other people.

Phoneless Vacation Superiority... Good one though.

I think more than one poster has made it sound as if they or their vacation is somehow better because they choose to leave their phone at home. That just rubs me the wrong way.

maxiesmom said:
I think more than one poster has made it sound as if they or their vacation is somehow better because they choose to leave their phone at home. That just rubs me the wrong way.

K well I can only speak for myself then and I certainly hope that that was not the impression I left because that was not my intention.

People have a right to do what they feel is right for their family. Which is also evident in this thread as both opinions of either bringing or leaving the phones have been made. :)

It's just a discussion. Nothing personal.

K well I can only speak for myself then and I certainly hope that that was not the impression I left because that was not my intention.

People have a right to do what they feel is right for their family. Which is also evident in this thread as both opinions of either bringing or leaving the phones have been made. :)

It's just a discussion. Nothing personal.
I just read this thread and I have to say that is absolutely the impression I got from you. You made several comments about people having their noses buried in their phones, not interacting with their kids and even made the comments that its time to stick up for family values.

When we go to Disney - our phones will go b/c life continues to happen and we like to be able to stay in touch - and because you can say meet back here at 1:00 but since you don't have a smartphone that tells you how long the line for Splash Mountain is or if it breaks down...when they can't make it back until 2:00 b/c they were stuck at the top of the hill for 1/2 hour...now you have wasted an hour waiting and your level of irritation is probably pretty high and the family values might be suffering from that as well....

my fear would be delays at the airport...my phone has saved me from waiting in a long line at the counter and gotten me quickly on a new flight and on my way long before people without phones.

I admire that you did it...we have done it while cruising and since my phone is my clock...that was an issue for me. But a little advance planning could help.

DVCBELLE said:
I just read this thread and I have to say that is absolutely the impression I got from you. You made several comments about people having their noses buried in their phones, not interacting with their kids and even made the comments that its time to stick up for family values.

Fair enough. Lesson learned on my part I guess.
:(

I appreciate the feedback.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter