Homeschool Chat Part III

What actually makes me the most sad is that many, many kids hate school because they are picked on, struggle academically, or whatever the reason.

The assumption that your child is receiving everything he/she needs in the public school system is a HUGE misnomer.

I taught public high school for 16 years. So many kids are just lost in the system. Many do not fit in with their peers.

Dawn

I personaly LOVE the assumption that no public or private school kids are weird. Kids are just weird. That's all there is to it. Some are shy, some won't shut up.:rotfl:

Do you mean the classes themselves are too expensive?

DH's work schedule never allows us to go in Sept. I could make it work in January if I really pushed it, but it is hard for him to get away then either.

He can get off in late October, early January, and May......he can get off in summer too, but I won't go in summer.

We will be heading down in late October this year.

Dawn

Not us. Too expensive for locals/Cast Members. :(

I personaly LOVE the assumption that no public or private school kids are weird. Kids are just weird. That's all there is to it. Some are shy, some won't shut up.:rotfl:

No! Say it isn't true! Do these people forget that they were IN school with weird, quirky, shy, hyper, disturbed people?

You are forgetting that sending your child to school is "normal" and "average!"
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

When I have parents of kids who have been lying to their parents, sneaking off to party hard, and they just don't know WHAT to do with their child....telling ME that homeschooling is for weird people.....I will stick to weird.....:woohoo:

Dawn

No! Say it isn't true! Do these people forget that they were IN school with weird, quirky, shy, hyper, disturbed people?

You are forgetting that sending your child to school is "normal" and "average!"
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

When I have parents of kids who have been lying to their parents, sneaking off to party hard, and they just don't know WHAT to do with their child....telling ME that homeschooling is for weird people.....I will stick to weird.....:woohoo:

Dawn

OMGosh! Normal and Average are not what we are shooting for!

"The world needs ditch diggers too, Danny."

I can't imagine living life to be average. You look for the best and unique in people, you draw it out, and you celebrate it. I can't imagine living life needing acceptance (which is what normal and average is all about) that badly.

No kidding!

What so many fail to realize is that the concept of compulsory education is a fairly new cultural phenomenon.

I was talking to a dear friend who hsed her children until 8th grade. Unfortunately, circumstances forced her to put her kids into the ps high school. She said that there was NOTHING they learned in the ps high school that they hadn't already learned by 8th grade at home. :goodvibes:goodvibes

Believe me, I have taught in public high schools long enough to know that most days very little learning happens unless you are in the AP classes. I even taught honors many times. Their behavior was slightly better than the regular classes! ;)

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed teaching, but as far as quality instruction happening......it was not nearly as much as parents think. There was always some assembly, pep rally, earthquake drill, announcements made over the PA in the middle of class, etc....going on.

Dawn

OMGosh! Normal and Average are not what we are shooting for!

"The world needs ditch diggers too, Danny."

I can't imagine living life to be average. You look for the best and unique in people, you draw it out, and you celebrate it. I can't imagine living life needing acceptance (which is what normal and average is all about) that badly.

Do you mean the classes themselves are too expensive?

DH's work schedule never allows us to go in Sept. I could make it work in January if I really pushed it, but it is hard for him to get away then either.

He can get off in late October, early January, and May......he can get off in summer too, but I won't go in summer.

We will be heading down in late October this year.

Dawn

I believe she is referring to the additional cost of admission the pass holders and CMs must pay to attend. IIRC, the cost of the YES programs and the homeschool days includes the classes AND park admission. As pass holders, we have already paid for our park admission and get no amount off the cost of the YES programs and/or homeschool days. That is the primary reason we have not participated in Homeschool Days.

So, that leaves me with my 4.5 year old daughter. We're going Kindergarten this year. I'm using Sonlight P4/5, McRuffy Math K and McRuffy Phonics K. She is also going to take an American Girl class for younger girls, ages 5-7. They will be studying Felicity this year. I think she needs a new doll and I can count it as a school supply.:rotfl:

I was just coming on to ask about Sonlight. I work at a museum part-time and have heard others rave about it. I checked out the site and ordered a catalog yesterday. I love that you have a year to return...that is awesome! :thumbsup2

I believe she is referring to the additional cost of admission the pass holders and CMs must pay to attend. IIRC, the cost of the YES programs and the homeschool days includes the classes AND park admission. As pass holders, we have already paid for our park admission and get no amount off the cost of the YES programs and/or homeschool days. That is the primary reason we have not participated in Homeschool Days.

Yep, that's what I meant. Used to be that you could just buy a separate event ticket and YES classes, but with the new setup, it's no good. I really don't know why they changed it and I can't get an answer (3 emails, no response)

Yep, that's what I meant. Used to be that you could just buy a separate event ticket and YES classes, but with the new setup, it's no good. I really don't know why they changed it and I can't get an answer (3 emails, no response)

I'd call. They are really helpful.:)

That is why I LOVED Homeschool days in Williamsburg. That is just how everyone was taught in colonial times. Only the very rich went to school and that was not until they were older and could go to William & Mary for classes. Everyone just embraced the fact we were homeschooling.

We are going again in September.

We used Calvert for our curriculum when dd was in Pk and K. It was very hands on! Too much for this non-crafty person. But, perfect for my crafty DD.

Now that DD is older and can sit still, we are using Sonlight for the first time.

Someday maybe we will get to HS days in WDW. The timing is never right. We usually go in the spring and in October.

I haven't read everything in these threads, but I wanted to suggest that you guys look up the Tedtalks by Sir Ken Robinson. Amazing! He has a great way of talking about learning and the failures of our education system.

I haven't read everything in these threads, but I wanted to suggest that you guys look up the Tedtalks by Sir Ken Robinson. Amazing! He has a great way of talking about learning and the failures of our education system.

I adore Sir Ken. Love listening to his talks -- and check out his books, too.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to look into those ideas.

I was talking to my Mom (a high school teacher) and she was talking to her good friend (an elementary school teacher) and they both encouraged me to stick with our more open style of learning for another year or two and not worry about specific curriculum until she's older. I also started reading The Well Trained Mind and she also seems to suggest refraining from too much structure before the 1st grade or so.

I'm excited about it so I might be getting ahead of myself :rolleyes1

I'm also going to look up this "home school days" thing. I had no idea that existed. Its so great to discover all the interesting resources and community associated with homeschooling. I'm definitely going to be pointing it out to all those people who think home schoolers are a bunch of hermits. In my limited experience its exactly the opposite, home schoolers really seem to take full advantage of the community resources that are made available to everyone but which most people never use.

I'm also going to look up this "home school days" thing. I had no idea that existed. Its so great to discover all the interesting resources and community associated with homeschooling. I'm definitely going to be pointing it out to all those people who think home schoolers are a bunch of hermits. In my limited experience its exactly the opposite, home schoolers really seem to take full advantage of the community resources that are made available to everyone but which most people never use.

You'll probably find that, just in the time you're on your homeschool adventure, more and more things open up as it becomes even more mainstream. We started when my youngest was 4 or 5. He's 12 now, and I can't get over how differently we're accepted now or how many more opportunities we have. We're pretty lucky to be h/sing during this time, and I'm incredibly grateful for the h/s pioneers who went before us and made a lot of it possible.

Yikes, just re-read my previous post, and it sounds like I'm trying out for the voice-over position in a documentary or something. :rotfl: I swear, I'm not usually so formal or stuffy! :goodvibes

I'm in a debate with a teacher at the moment in my current class for my Master's degree. Mind you, I WAS a public school teacher, so it's not like I'm NOT a "trained professional". She's been grousing about the pay. I told her that hour-for-hour, teachers actually do pretty well and if teachers earned that salary 52 weeks instead of 36, it wouldn't be so shabby. She also talked about underperformers getting paid the same as those who go above and beyond. I told her welcome to the real world, it's like that EVERYWHERE. She said that teachers are undervalued by society. I told her that when "ordinary" (although I believe we are "extraordinary" thankyouverymuch :lmao:) parents can teach their children and those children show up at Harvard, Yale, MIT, etc, it's a hard argument to make that only "trained professionals" can educate children. I also pointed out the parable from Matthew which is featured in our textbook for the class about the men who went to work at different times of day for the farmer who paid them all the same amount, so the ones who worked longer were whining. I told her that teachers don't go into the field without knowing beforehand that the pay stinks, so it's either a calling where there is intrinsic reward or get out and find you a different job.

I'm just SO tired of people who think parents can't educate their children. We are their FIRST teachers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter