Homeschool Chat Part III

We started our sonlight pre-k this week and I am astonished at how little time it takes up. It takes us maybe 30 minutes to get through it. We also have reading eggs that we do every other day and she likes workbooks so we spend about 15 minutes on some workbooks I found at Target, but wow, it isn't much time at all. What do kids in public pre-k spend their time on all day? I feel like I must not be doing enough for her education but I really don't know what to add. It was my understanding that Sonlight was a complete cirriculum. We will be adding Handwriting Without Tears in January, so that will add some time to our day. But most of the day is free for her to play/do art/ and run out and about.

Does that sound reasonable for a 4 year old? We are not experienced homeschoolers and I really don't want t mess this up!
4K is not required in any state in the U.S. It's impossible to mess up something not required. I don't know what country you are in - if it's one that requires pre-school - but it's highly unlikely they're doing a lot of formal work. My first student teaching experience was in 2nd grade. I was surprised how much of it was classroom management and how little teaching - and that was 2nd grade! I ended up teaching middle and high school - at least I felt I got to teach a lot there.

If your child wants some formal work, then it is okay to do some of course. But don't look at the clock. Look at your child and what your child wants to do. Zero formal instruction is needed at that age. But if a child wants some, then of course give some. If you really want to count how long your schooling is taking, count more. Don't forget to count those books you read, those conversations you have that end up with some learning in them, even going to the grocery store is educational to a child that age. It's likely your child is learning many hours a day - even if it's just 30 minutes of what you're thinking of as education. Young kids learn so much through play and their experiences. If you're counting hours - you need to count that too.

Hi, It's been awhile since I have been on. We are starting 9th grade and I am considering Acellus. Has anyone used them or are using them? I know my son can get a diploma through them, looking for any information if anyone has experience with Acellus. Thank you.

Hello all! I know there hasn't been too much activity on this thread lately, but I am new to homeschooling and have a soon to be 5 year old daughter. How do you know where to start? Right now she's learning how to read and we have been practicing writing letters. She likes to color and draw too. Do you find it's worth it to purchase a full curriculum? I'm just feeling overwhelmed at this point!

Hello all! I know there hasn't been too much activity on this thread lately, but I am new to homeschooling and have a soon to be 5 year old daughter. How do you know where to start? Right now she's learning how to read and we have been practicing writing letters. She likes to color and draw too. Do you find it's worth it to purchase a full curriculum? I'm just feeling overwhelmed at this point!

Just start with what you're doing. Let your child enjoy learning as she is - read lots of books, tell real stories (history), get outside and experience nature, continue to dabble in materials (arts, building, etc), work on developing phonetic, computational, and writing skills. You don't need a curriculum to do it. If you feel really worried, grab a few workbooks on point to work with as you learn through the year...my K's only start with 2-3 total workbooks for the year - 1 in Math, 1 in Phonics, and sometimes 1 in Writing...everything else in K is just continuing what we were doing from 0-4...we do field trips, nature classes, and art projects, we read books every day, we watch videos, we build Legos and tinker toys, we play in our sandbox and chalk our sidewalk, we take walks, etc...

Sounds like are off to a great start. For K I just focused on math and reading. There are a lot of good apps and games out there that can help as well. Teach your monster how to read, math blasters, etc.

Just start with what you're doing. Let your child enjoy learning as she is - read lots of books, tell real stories (history), get outside and experience nature, continue to dabble in materials (arts, building, etc), work on developing phonetic, computational, and writing skills. You don't need a curriculum to do it. If you feel really worried, grab a few workbooks on point to work with as you learn through the year...my K's only start with 2-3 total workbooks for the year - 1 in Math, 1 in Phonics, and sometimes 1 in Writing...everything else in K is just continuing what we were doing from 0-4...we do field trips, nature classes, and art projects, we read books every day, we watch videos, we build Legos and tinker toys, we play in our sandbox and chalk our sidewalk, we take walks, etc...

I am homeschooling preschool for my 4 year old. I have used a mix of things since she was 2. We started with a free cirriculum from abc jesus loves me. At age 3 we used horizons preschool for 3s, which was great to get us started. This year we have been using sonlight. I like it, but honestly, I could have skipped the teachers guide and saved some money. Its basically just a list of books to read with a few supplemental activities. We also use habdwriting without tears, which has been wonderful.
I have ordered math u see for next year. I will also order the kindergarten books for the sonlight cirriculum and I am piecing together science units.

There are so many ways to homeschool. I like the cirriculum because I am very busy, working full time, teaching at our co op, etc. So the legwork is done for me with the cirriculum, I just have follow the directions.

We have also enjoyed buying workbooks at target and online and working through those. other friends use computer programs and cirriculum. It really just depends on your teaching and learning styles

For K, it's all hands on. Just reading and math. Honestly, our kids all loved getting the BrainQuest pre-k or K books and doing a little something every day. It's so easy at that stage :)

We also use Sonlight and love it. The book choices are really good. You could just us it as a reading list though.

Another reference book I like is The Well Trained Mind. It was helpful when starting out and I still refer back to it. If you decide to read don't feel like you have to do everything in it though.

For Kindy we mainly did math, learning to read, and me reading to them.

What you are doing is great for K. There are many ways to homeschool and in time you'll find what works for your family. At that age (or any age actually) I'd see what I could find for free. Teach Your Monster to Read and Prodigygame are both good free sites for learning, library, field trip groups, pinterest. Searching on pinterest I've found great free items I can print out, and teachers pay teachers (lots of free stuff on there as well).

You can also check out a book or website by Cathy Duffy called "102 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum".

Things that we've used:

Math: Math U See, Prodigygames (free), Splash Math (app - free & pay), Life of Fred, Time4Learing
Reading: All About Reading, All About Spelling, Time4Learning, Teach Your Monster to Read (free), and I just found something called DyslexiaGames from The Thinking Tree
Boxed Curriculum: Moving Beyond the Page
Handwriting: Handwriting without Tears

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the great suggestions! I will definitely be looking into them!

Also thank you for setting my mind at ease too :)

Hi to all. Haven't been on in a little while, so hope everyone is doing well. :)

Just finished 8th grade with my ASD son. He is doing well, considering how difficult it is for him to sit still for long periods of time. But, the child understands Pre-Algebra(hallelujah!!) which i thought he'd have so much trouble with :)

Just a few questions for anyone who might be willing to answer them.

1) I am determined my son will graduate and Lord willing, he will graduate on time. But once we start getting in to the really difficult stuff, that's where we'll hit a wall. Chemistry, Physics, Algebra 2, things of that nature. I don't know if he has the patience or ability to grasp some of those things. Have any of you experienced teaching upper level high school to a child on the spectrum? I have two other children (24 and 20) that I have graduated on my own and got through somehow, but my son is totally different. He's very smart(Asperger's) but has little patience when struggling with a concept, so I have to present it in a literal way. For us, Life of Fred has been a salvation in math, which leads me to my next question...

2) Is anyone interested in any free Life of Fred books we're done with? I have Mineshaft, Liver, and Kidney. We just finished with PreAlgebra with Biology. They are in very good shape. There might be a page or two somewhere that isn't perfect, but on the whole they're in great shape. I am not looking for any financial compensation. I just want to give them to someone who needs them, and don't want to fool with selling on Amazon or anything. I don't mind shipping them, we have a home owned business we run and have an account to ship things and write it off. If you are interested, you can PM me and i'll send them to whoever responds first. You can have some or all, I don't care :)

Hi to all. Haven't been on in a little while, so hope everyone is doing well. :)

2) Is anyone interested in any free Life of Fred books we're done with? I have Mineshaft, Liver, and Kidney. We just finished with PreAlgebra with Biology. They are in very good shape. There might be a page or two somewhere that isn't perfect, but on the whole they're in great shape. I am not looking for any financial compensation. I just want to give them to someone who needs them, and don't want to fool with selling on Amazon or anything. I don't mind shipping them, we have a home owned business we run and have an account to ship things and write it off. If you are interested, you can PM me and i'll send them to whoever responds first. You can have some or all, I don't care :)

I don't have any advice for you since my kids are younger than yours, but I am wishing you success and patience! ;)

I would love to snag those LoF books from you! I was just looking at ordering those for my daughter. We have been using Math U See, but I wonder if she would like the story style of LoF better. I'll PM you my address if no one else has claimed them yet.

Thank you so much!
Cheryl

Just finished 8th grade with my ASD son. He is doing well, considering how difficult it is for him to sit still for long periods of time. But, the child understands Pre-Algebra(hallelujah!!) which i thought he'd have so much trouble with :)

1) I am determined my son will graduate and Lord willing, he will graduate on time. But once we start getting in to the really difficult stuff, that's where we'll hit a wall. Chemistry, Physics, Algebra 2, things of that nature. I don't know if he has the patience or ability to grasp some of those things. Have any of you experienced teaching upper level high school to a child on the spectrum? I have two other children (24 and 20) that I have graduated on my own and got through somehow, but my son is totally different. He's very smart(Asperger's) but has little patience when struggling with a concept, so I have to present it in a literal way. For us, Life of Fred has been a salvation in math, which leads me to my next question...

It might be time to go back to hands on at least for chemistry and physics. It might also help to think outside of the box, do something more non-traditional like maybe astronomy.

The other thing I would suggest is to take a step back and think. Have a good conversation with your son about what he wants and able to do in life. Maybe your son is great with computers and IT stuff. Then I would train up that way. Or maybe he is great with cars or drawing. I would work on those skills. He may not need chemistry/physics/ or algebra 2. Our DD is a dancer. If she has her way, she will be at Disney preforming. So I did not stress over science and math. She knew enough to pass high school and enough to pass college. DD is getting a business degree.

Congrats on finishing 8th grade and PreAlgebra! We're done with our year and didn't get through our PreAlgebra this year. My dd is young for it so we are taking it slow because the work load was large for a 9 yr old. We'll probably finish it up by Christmas.

You're very kind to offer those LoF books.

What are his plans for after school. College or work? I would focus his class work on what ever he is interested in. Every child is different and will have different strengths and weaknesses. Keep up the good job.

Thanks for all the advice. My son is going through adolescence, and he's at that cranky, my mom is not cool, don't treat me like a baby phase. :scared: I want to give him a true diploma, so he can say he graduated, so we have to go by our county grad requirements. But I like the idea of taking something like Astronomy for Science.

He is very smart, but its extremely difficult to teach him when he gets frustrated trying to grasp a concept. We try to take it in small chunks, and this is one of the reasons Life of Fred has worked so well with him. The chapters are small and he likes the stories.

I don't have any clue what he might want/can do right now. He has a lot of sensory issues, so he wants badly to make money/have a job, but his behavior is just not conducive to it right now. I feel badly for him, because I know he wants to be like other kids. :sad1:

Last edited:
Congrats on finishing 8th grade and PreAlgebra! We're done with our year and didn't get through our PreAlgebra this year. My dd is young for it so we are taking it slow because the work load was large for a 9 yr old. We'll probably finish it up by Christmas.

You're very kind to offer those LoF books.

Well, I figured I could either spend time putting them on Amazon and end up paying more for shipping than I got, or give them to someone who would really benefit from them. Actually, we only finished the first part of Pre Algebra. I don't know if you use LOF, but there are two Pre Algebra books and we only got through the first. But it went much more smoothly than I expected. We'll have to review some of that book in August before we start the new one, since he'll forget alot! I think the main thing is that he "gets" the concept of equations and that whatever you do to one side, you do to the other and what a variable is. I thought we'd have real trouble with that concept. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter